And, we’re off.......2018/2019

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I'd not argue with France. Although they've got issues in attack going forward and rely on a Chelsea bench striker to knit it together. And a dodgy Spurs keeper ;) Belgium on paper yes but they've bottled the last two tournaments and that will damage them no? A number of the golden generation are heading backwards too.

Brazil are improving despite going out early and if they discover a proper striker, would be up there. And if Neymar realised it was about scoring or creating rather than winning free kicks :cautious:

Holland are one to watch, some top players coming through but I'd fancy England to outperform them over the next few tournaments.

I base it on England's result, potential AND a lack of quality in other sides. I'm not saying we're world class in every area but we've got everything required to compete at that level. Trippier I think is having a bad season, as is Walker. However Alexander-Arnold and Wan Bissaka are both bloody brilliant players.

When was the last time we beat a team above us in world rankings in a competition that mattered?

We have the luckiest draw ever last year and still messed it up. We scored how many goals from our fast all action players.

Any team can win an event. If we do though I feel itll be just as Greece won the euros. Awful football.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
When was the last time we beat a team above us in world rankings in a competition that mattered?

We have the luckiest draw ever last year and still messed it up. We scored how many goals from our fast all action players.

Any team can win an event. If we do though I feel itll be just as Greece won the euros. Awful football.
Yeah, you only have to look at how Gareth sets the team up to see where we're at. Does he dominate the play with classy creative players? No. He packs the midfield with runners like Henderson and Delph, Sits back and tries to hit them on the counter with Rashford or Sterling's pace or a Trippier cross. Or nick a goal from a set piece. That says it all.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Say what you want about England, since the waistcoat lad took over " we had a chance, we were singing footballs coming home". That aside watching Englands last few games never excited me. I thought we were boring. But it's a results based business. On that alone, we didn't do to bad. However as much as I would like to see the swashbuckling football at England as I do at City. It ain't gonna happen. You can only tiddle with what you have got and England don't have a lot. They don't have a Silva, or KDB. Until players like Foden break through I feel we are just gonna battle out results. England top three, nope. Top ten yup.

D

Deleted member 16999

England are currently 5th in the FIFA World Rankings, why not just enjoy it, will they get better? Or will they get worse? None of us know, but if you’re not English, fill your boots, your opinion means nothing, your bitter or jealous or both.
Englishmen who follow football and have no interest in the national, again, fill your boots, but please don’t expect those of us who wish to support the national team to listen to you.
Maybe the rest of the World is rubbish, just like the PL was when Leics won that!:rolleyes:
Southgate got us to levels we haven’t been for years and long may it continue.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
England are currently 5th in the FIFA World Rankings, why not just enjoy it, will they get better? Or will they get worse? None of us know, but if you’re not English, fill your boots, your opinion means nothing, your bitter or jealous or both.
Englishmen who follow football and have no interest in the national, again, fill your boots, but please don’t expect those of us who wish to support the national team to listen to you.
Maybe the rest of the World is rubbish, just like the PL was when Leics won that!:rolleyes:
Southgate got us to levels we haven’t been for years and long may it continue.

In answer to your first point. The reason I didn’t enjoy the World Cup too much is simply because it felt more good luck than anything else.

Also, as you yourself have said. You’re happier with your current manager then Big Sam beciase of the style of football. Yet your results are the same. Same thing for me and england. I’ve endured watching years of poor saints teams and just hope we do ok. When I see some of the players england have at their disposal, I’m not happy with us effectively being Bolton.

D

Deleted member 16999

In answer to your first point. The reason I didn’t enjoy the World Cup too much is simply because it felt more good luck than anything else.

Also, as you yourself have said. You’re happier with your current manager then Big Sam beciase of the style of football. Yet your results are the same. Same thing for me and england. I’ve endured watching years of poor saints teams and just hope we do ok. When I see some of the players england have at their disposal, I’m not happy with us effectively being Bolton.
Southgate is working with what he’s got, he can’t sign anyone to strengthen his squad.

England have put in some great performances under Southgate and played some poor games, he didn’t do the WC draw and he didn’t do the Euro draw, yet all we hear is, Player A isn’t good enough, Player B shouldn’t be in the squad etc etc.
I didn’t want Southgate as manager, but either through luck or good management or whatever, he’s doing a good job and all we hear is negativity.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Southgate is working with what he’s got, he can’t sign anyone to strengthen his squad.

England have put in some great performances under Southgate and played some poor games, he didn’t do the WC draw and he didn’t do the Euro draw, yet all we hear is, Player A isn’t good enough, Player B shouldn’t be in the squad etc etc.
I didn’t want Southgate as manager, but either through luck or good management or whatever, he’s doing a good job and all we hear is negativity.

I agree in regards to the players at his disposal, to a point. He still has a big pool to pick from. It's not like he names 23 January first and has to stick to them for 2 years.

Fans will always debate and disagree with squad selections. Happens from club to intl level the world over.

As to him doing a good job, that's all a matter of opinion. From the outside it looks good. World. Cup semi. Mickey mouse semi too. From my perspective we are still to beat a team. If note when it's mattered. Hopefully he will do that at the euros, ideally with better football.

D

Deleted member 16999

I agree in regards to the players at his disposal, to a point. He still has a big pool to pick from. It's not like he names 23 January first and has to stick to them for 2 years.

Fans will always debate and disagree with squad selections. Happens from club to intl level the world over.

As to him doing a good job, that's all a matter of opinion. From the outside it looks good. World. Cup semi. Mickey mouse semi too. From my perspective we are still to beat a team. If note when it's mattered. Hopefully he will do that at the euros, ideally with better football.
What’s a team of note? We can’t dictate when other teams will peak or be “worthy” opponents! You can only beat what’s in front of you!
I don’t remember previous managers getting much sympathy when we lost to these so-called better teams!

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
What’s a team of note? We can’t dictate when other teams will peak or be “worthy” opponents! You can only beat what’s in front of you!
I don’t remember previous managers getting much sympathy when we lost to these so-called better teams!
A team of note is one that is regarded as a good one. Be that a team with World Cup pedigree or above is in the rankings.

Basically if we win a game we aren't expected too I'd be impressed. Imo Belgium were the only team better than us we faced. Yet we still lost to croatia.

Not sure what your point is in regards to sympathy. No manager deserves sympathy..

D

Deleted member 15344

I'd not argue with France. Although they've got issues in attack going forward and rely on a Chelsea bench striker to knit it together. And a dodgy Spurs keeper ;) Belgium on paper yes but they've bottled the last two tournaments and that will damage them no? A number of the golden generation are heading backwards too.

Brazil are improving despite going out early and if they discover a proper striker, would be up there. And if Neymar realised it was about scoring or creating rather than winning free kicks :cautious:

Holland are one to watch, some top players coming through but I'd fancy England to outperform them over the next few tournaments.

I base it on England's result, potential AND a lack of quality in other sides. I'm not saying we're world class in every area but we've got everything required to compete at that level. Trippier I think is having a bad season, as is Walker. However Alexander-Arnold and Wan Bissaka are both bloody brilliant players.

England have a lot of “potential” players - young players that have done well on the youth international scene and been successful BUT a lot of those players first won’t get regular chances at Prem Clubs and indeed Prem Clubs in the CL so development gets stunted a bit - hopefully more like Sancho will look abroad

And also the manager Southgate doesn’t have the tactical awareness to get the best out of the talented players - during the WC they relied on a very fortunate run where they faced a top team three times and lost every time - they seemed to look for set pieces or an isolated Kane because Southgate didn’t play players like Sterling in their best position - in the recent games he went to a back four and then a 3 and 3 and they looked better but he needs to be brave to do that in tbe comps. England wouldn’t go wrong by hiring Pep to be manager for 4 years - can see him getting more out of them.

The players are there in the youth sets both internationally and at the club - time to see how brave both are

D

Deleted member 16999

A team of note is one that is regarded as a good one. Be that a team with World Cup pedigree or above is in the rankings.

Basically if we win a game we aren't expected too I'd be impressed. Imo Belgium were the only team better than us we faced. Yet we still lost to croatia.

Not sure what your point is in regards to sympathy. No manager deserves sympathy..
Current teams above us:

Belgium
France
Brazil
Croatia

We weren’t “battered” by any of those teams and beat Croatia recently, very unlikely to play any of them soon, so to only judge us when we play them and to give no credibility to England when we beat the teams below us, you’re going to be in limbo for a while.

The sympathy one? If we lose to teams above us, is that ok or does the manager get slaughtered, ie the group of death in Brazil, were I would argue we had a better squad/team than we do now.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Current teams above us:

Belgium
France
Brazil
Croatia

We weren’t “battered” by any of those teams and beat Croatia recently, very unlikely to play any of them soon, so to only judge us when we play them and to give no credibility to England when we beat the teams below us, you’re going to be in limbo for a while.

The sympathy one? If we lose to teams above us, is that ok or does the manager get slaughtered, ie the group of death in Brazil, were I would argue we had a better squad/team than we do now.

To win a major comp you're gonna have to beat a decent team somewhere.

The world rankings I think most would agree are a joke. I think we all know when facing opposition there are teams we should beat, teams we can beat and teams we hope we beat. For me, England are fine against the first group and poor against the other two.

I've not said anyone battered us either. But we were hopeless second half against Croatia and outplayed both times by Belgium.

We obviously have different outlooks and that's fine. For me, at intl level I want my team to play good football. I didn't get pleasure at the world Cup playing setpeice footy.

If we play differently at the next one I'll. Be impressed. But I don't see it happening.

D

Deleted member 16999

To win a major comp you're gonna have to beat a decent team somewhere.

The world rankings I think most would agree are a joke. I think we all know when facing opposition there are teams we should beat, teams we can beat and teams we hope we beat. For me, England are fine against the first group and poor against the other two.

I've not said anyone battered us either. But we were hopeless second half against Croatia and outplayed both times by Belgium.

We obviously have different outlooks and that's fine. For me, at intl level I want my team to play good football. I didn't get pleasure at the world Cup playing setpeice footy.

If we play differently at the next one I'll. Be impressed. But I don't see it happening.
If you don’t use the rankings it’s immeasurable, others have explained that the teams that were once decent are on the way down or in a state of transition.
Both Belgium games were non-entities and a WC Semi-Final is anyones game.
All of us want exciting football but we are were we are.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
If you don’t use the rankings it’s immeasurable, others have explained that the teams that were once decent are on the way down or in a state of transition.
Both Belgium games were non-entities and a WC Semi-Final is anyones game.
All of us want exciting football but we are were we are.
Its a World Cup semi final. Would you rather face:
Croatia or Spain
Switzerland or Italy
Uruguay or italy
Denmark or Germany

If you want to use the world rankings that’s cool. I’m sure many do. But I’d fancy our chances against the first teams in those lists. All of which are ranked lower than their opponents.

Belgium are world no1 having won nowt. They’re a farce.

Anyways, as I said. We have differing opinions, I think Southgate has done the bare and has got lucky. I’m genuinely hoping to Have my opinion changed at the Euros.

D

Deleted member 16999

Its a World Cup semi final. Would you rather face:
Croatia or Spain
Switzerland or Italy
Uruguay or italy
Denmark or Germany

If you want to use the world rankings that’s cool. I’m sure many do. But I’d fancy our chances against the first teams in those lists. All of which are ranked lower than their opponents.

Belgium are world no1 having won nowt. They’re a farce.

Anyways, as I said. We have differing opinions, I think Southgate has done the bare and has got lucky. I’m genuinely hoping to Have my opinion changed at the Euros.
Good debate mate and fair points.

Am I answering the Semi-Finals based on current form or those Countries at their best? Because in all honesty I wouldn’t fear any of them on current form, now whether that is because they are coming down to our level or we are going up to their’s I don’t know.

Probably like me you’ve seen a few WC Finals, how many were memorable? Most end up being a damp squib.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Good debate mate and fair points.

Am I answering the Semi-Finals based on current form or those Countries at their best? Because in all honesty I wouldn’t fear any of them on current form, now whether that is because they are coming down to our level or we are going up to their’s I don’t know.

Probably like me you’ve seen a few WC Finals, how many were memorable? Most end up being a damp squib.
I think at their best the answer is clear. Tbh I think psychologically most of us would still like the small nation now due to the beatings we’ve taken in the past.

I can only really recall 90 and 96 and 98 giving me optimism. 90 not that clear tbh.

D

Deleted member 16999

I think at their best the answer is clear. Tbh I think psychologically most of us would still like the small nation now due to the beatings we’ve taken in the past.

I can only really recall 90 and 96 and 98 giving me optimism. 90 not that clear tbh.
Ha Ha, I meant the actual Final’s in the WC Final comment, but I agree with what you’ve put.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think the two WC defeats last year against Belgium are perhaps misleading. Despite the official line, I think most people accept England would prefer to have lost that game and get the semi-final route they had. In a play-off for losing semi finalists do you really think, aside from professional pride, there was a lot riding on the game? the harsher lesson to me was the contrast in performances in the Croatia game where we had a solid first half and then were outplayed totally in the second half and unable to respond.

I think there are many reasons to be optimistic with the state of the national side at the moment but that has to be tempered with a degree of objectivity. We've had great potential and decent players before and under performed and acheived nothing so I hope Southgate can continue to mould the current squad, we learn and improve and can start to achieve. I'd take a Nations Cup win over Portugal and a chance to play in a final as a stepping stone and then expect to see a more dominant Euro final showing (subject to qualifying!) as indications we are moving forward. I think a semi must be a minimal requirement