And, we’re off.......2018/2019

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Lingard is a strange one , he doesn’t seem to have any attributes that make him more than just a championship level player but he appears to act like a World Class Star - he does seem to pop up and score goals and work hard but from the times I have seen he doesn’t seem to create , doesn’t have outstanding ability on the ball , is he quick ? BUT he scores and he seems to do it when it’s needed

Winks - I couldn’t tell from what I have seen of him , just doesn’t seem to stand out but I don’t know if that’s a good thing and he just does everything quietly and efficiently without grabbing headlines , certainly doesn’t seem to give the ball away too much , is his range of passing good ?
I quite like Lingard, as I say he often plays well when he's there, mostly due to good work rate. But I also don't think we miss him when he's not playing. Bit of a jack of all trades player perhaps, just decent at a lot of things.

Winks is a Modric kind of player. That's not me saying he's as good as Modric is or was, before anyone jumps on it - I just means that's the sort of game he has. Sit deep in the midfield, keep the ball for his team, good work ethic, get through tight spaces and move the ball on for the attack. I think he's a good partner for a ball-winner, like Dier or Rice or whoever ends up being the preference there. Obviously his main competitor for a starting role will be Henderson.

I'm with Kellfire on Brewster, you can certainly say you hope he does well, but there's no guarantee that he won't end up a League Two player at best. According to Wikipedia he's not even played a single game of football at professional level for goodness sake. Quite bold of you to say he will definitely play for England.

Here's a fun example from 2007 we've probably all seen but bears repeating: http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/fulh...edicted-their-england-team-of-the-future.html I'm sure plenty were convinced they would all play at the highest level.

Found another article from 2010: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2010/jun/30/england-future-stars-world-cup Some crackers in there, I wonder what Delfouneso is up to.

D

Deleted member 15344

I quite like Lingard, as I say he often plays well when he's there, mostly due to good work rate. But I also don't think we miss him when he's not playing. Bit of a jack of all trades player perhaps, just decent at a lot of things.

Winks is a Modric kind of player. That's not me saying he's as good as Modric is or was, before anyone jumps on it - I just means that's the sort of game he has. Sit deep in the midfield, keep the ball for his team, good work ethic, get through tight spaces and move the ball on for the attack. I think he's a good partner for a ball-winner, like Dier or Rice or whoever ends up being the preference there. Obviously his main competitor for a starting role will be Henderson.

I'm with Kellfire on Brewster, you can certainly say you hope he does well, but there's no guarantee that he won't end up a League Two player at best. According to Wikipedia he's not even played a single game of football at professional level for goodness sake. Quite bold of you to say he will definitely play for England.

Here's a fun example from 2007 we've probably all seen but bears repeating: http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/fulh...edicted-their-england-team-of-the-future.html I'm sure plenty were convinced they would all play at the highest level.

Found another article from 2010: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2010/jun/30/england-future-stars-world-cup Some crackers in there, I wonder what Delfouneso is up to.

There certainly has been plenty of players that have been overhyped whilst England searched for the next hopes but those players were talented but their youth career was decent. This current crop especially the lads that won the World Cup are special - that team of Foden , Sancho , Gibbs White , Hudson Odei and yes Brewster are special players Foden got all the highlights but it was Brewsters goals that won England that World Cup - the hat trick against Brazil was special

Last summer German teams were also after him with one team getting a friendly cancelled because of taping him up - he was tempted to go there but signed a big contract to stay , Klopp rates him highly and he is close to being in the first team squad after his injury and that’s the only thing that has stopped his playing already. He is going to save us spending big money on a striker - and I’m confident that he will follow his teammates into the England team , when the academy staff rate him higher than both Owen and Fowler at his age then for me there is someone special there. I have no doubt it could be completely false hope but I just have a feeling it won’t be - I have a lot of trust in Klopp in regards this young lad and I only have to look at how he has managed TAA to feel he is in good hands

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There certainly has been plenty of players that have been overhyped whilst England searched for the next hopes but those players were talented but their youth career was decent. This current crop especially the lads that won the World Cup are special - that team of Foden , Sancho , Gibbs White , Hudson Odei and yes Brewster are special players Foden got all the highlights but it was Brewsters goals that won England that World Cup - the hat trick against Brazil was special

Last summer German teams were also after him with one team getting a friendly cancelled because of taping him up - he was tempted to go there but signed a big contract to stay , Klopp rates him highly and he is close to being in the first team squad after his injury and that’s the only thing that has stopped his playing already. He is going to save us spending big money on a striker - and I’m confident that he will follow his teammates into the England team , when the academy staff rate him higher than both Owen and Fowler at his age then for me there is someone special there. I have no doubt it could be completely false hope but I just have a feeling it won’t be - I have a lot of trust in Klopp in regards this young lad and I only have to look at how he has managed TAA to feel he is in good hands

Quickly googled him as i hadn’t heard of him.. shocked when I found out born and raised in Chadwell Heath which is about 4 miles away from me.. it’s also where (up until the move to rush green recently) West Ham training ground was

Apparently we scouted him but he pick Chelsea .. what a mistake! Glad to see he went to an acadamy that gives youth a proper chance!

It’s mental how much talent Chelsea have let go.. they had Declan rice until he was 14.. good job he left because he wouldn’t be in the England team if he had stayed

4LEX

Visit site
Lingard is a strange one , he doesn’t seem to have any attributes that make him more than just a championship level player but he appears to act like a World Class Star - he does seem to pop up and score goals and work hard but from the times I have seen he doesn’t seem to create , doesn’t have outstanding ability on the ball , is he quick ? BUT he scores and he seems to do it when it’s needed

Winks - I couldn’t tell from what I have seen of him , just doesn’t seem to stand out but I don’t know if that’s a good thing and he just does everything quietly and efficiently without grabbing headlines , certainly doesn’t seem to give the ball away too much , is his range of passing good ?

Lingard has good technical skills and is a top class class finisher. Plus you can't question his workrate which goes a long way. Unfortunately the whole J Lingz crap and the fashion label makes him appear laughable at times. Good for dressing room 'banter' and perfect squad player I'd say.

4LEX

Visit site
Whatever happens in this round of internationals, it's clear England are and will be a Top 3 side over the decade or so. You look at the quality in the side and that coming through and it's going to be exciting. Loads more summer all dayers with beers being hurled around for sure :sneaky: :LOL:

Theres a real lack of quality at international level, especially with the big traditional nations like Argentina, Brazil and Germany. Theres France, Belgium and maybe Holland that are going to be a force but nothing to worry about. No guarentee we'll win anything as you need a fair share of luck, but I'm confident we'll be in the last four of a lot of tournaments (y)

Southgate isn't a brilliant manager but he's got the progression from the younger sides sorted and has created a great team spirit. I was really skeptical about him at the start and even during the World Cup he made some big mistakes. He's appeared to have learnt from them and the Spain and Croatia games in the UNL were much better. Roll on Friday!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Whatever happens in this round of internationals, it's clear England are and will be a Top 3 side over the decade or so. You look at the quality in the side and that coming through and it's going to be exciting. Loads more summer all dayers with beers being hurled around for sure :sneaky::LOL:

Theres a real lack of quality at international level, especially with the big traditional nations like Argentina, Brazil and Germany. Theres France, Belgium and maybe Holland that are going to be a force but nothing to worry about. No guarentee we'll win anything as you need a fair share of luck, but I'm confident we'll be in the last four of a lot of tournaments (y)

Southgate isn't a brilliant manager but he's got the progression from the younger sides sorted and has created a great team spirit. I was really skeptical about him at the start and even during the World Cup he made some big mistakes. He's appeared to have learnt from them and the Spain and Croatia games in the UNL were much better. Roll on Friday!
Really?? I think the opposite - our central defence and midfield options are as poor as they've been in my lifetime. Our attacking options for the future are fantastic, but you can only play 3 or 4 of them at once.

I'm curious as to what central defensive partnership we're going to build this successful period on?? Stones is an accident waiting to happen, Maguire is clumsy. Joe Gomez is superb but he is just one man, and we can only hope he doesn't continue to be unlucky with injuries.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Whatever happens in this round of internationals, it's clear England are and will be a Top 3 side over the decade or so. You look at the quality in the side and that coming through and it's going to be exciting. Loads more summer all dayers with beers being hurled around for sure :sneaky::LOL:

I agree and a lot of the big nations you name are now going through that rebuilding process every side has to do but they don't really have seen to have the same crop of quality young players coming through and so don't seem to have been able to make the transition as easily as perhaps they normally do. I'm not overly convinced by Southgate and did seem to get found out when we got to the business end of the WC. We do seem bereft with a definite #1 keeper, a lack of solid defenders and a midfield that really lacks a creative spark. Going forward we are overflowing with riches but we do have issues needing fixing

We've had some great success at the lower international levels but the FA and clubs really need to get together so we can find a way to continue these players progression and get regular game time and access towards U21 and senior squads

D

Deleted member 16999

Here’s the latest U21’s squad announced for this weeks games (some have moved up or dropped out)

There is a lot of potential there, maybe we should be optimistic:

Defenders: Jake Clarke-Salter (Vitesse, loan from Chelsea), Jay Dasilva (Bristol City, loan from Chelsea), Dael Fry (Middlesbrough), Lloyd Kelly (Bristol City), Jonjoe Kenny (Everton), Ezri Konsa (Brentford), Fikayo Tomori (Derby County, loan from Chelsea), Kyle Walker-Peters (Tottenham Hotspur), Aaron Wan-Bissaka (Crystal Palace)

Midfielders: Harvey Barnes (Leicester City), Hamza Choudhury (Leicester City), Tom Davies (Everton), Kieran Dowell (Sheffield United, loan from Everton), Phil Foden (Manchester City), James Maddison (Leicester City), Ryan Sessegnon (Fulham)

Forwards: Tammy Abraham (Aston Villa, loan from Chelsea), Dominic Calvert-Lewin (Everton), Demarai Gray (Leicester City), Callum Hudson-Odoi (Chelsea), Ademola Lookman (Everton), Reiss Nelson (Hoffenheim, loan from Arsenal), Dominic Solanke (AFC Bournemouth)

2 things stand out for me, lack of Players from the top 6 clubs, apart from Chelsea loanees.

The amount actually playing in the PL.

Can you blame a top 6 Club for going out and buying top players?

Should the players have more patience and try and prove themselves at these clubs.

What’s the point of success at U17, 18 and 20’s etc if very few make the 1st team.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Can you blame a top 6 Club for going out and buying top players?

Should the players have more patience and try and prove themselves at these clubs.

What’s the point of success at U17, 18 and 20’s etc if very few make the 1st team.
I agree and it's definitely an issue but I'd rather have players out on loan and potentially getting regular game time and therefore developing than being at a big 6 club and never getting a sight of first team football. With all the success at lower levels we've had on the world stage, you'd think the FA and the PL teams would be working together to find a way to develop and bring these players on so they are capable of progressing via the U21 side into the full squad. I wonder (and have no idea) of the number of the players at these U17, U19 etc levels who never go on to forge successful PL careers or even at a championship side. Is there a big drop out rate?

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
it's clear England are and will be a Top 3 side over the decade or so.

England definitely are NOT currently a top three side and there's no way to know if they will be. You aren't the first person to make such lofty claims about uncertainties and you won't be the last but seriously, get a grip.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site

Of course relatively few will make the first team.

You have multiple under aged sides and only one senior team - think of the pool of current players of similar ages across all the different underage teams. How can they all fit into a 23 man squad for the first team simultaneously?

It's natural order.

4LEX

Visit site
England definitely are NOT currently a top three side and there's no way to know if they will be. You aren't the first person to make such lofty claims about uncertainties and you won't be the last but seriously, get a grip.

I know my stuff mate and base it on watching England AND other countries. If you don't think England are Top 3, give me your top three based on results, performances and future potential. I'll be waiting :rolleyes:

The facts are last four of the World Cup, top of the UNL in a group with Spain and a fading Croatia. Only France and Belgium are better than us based on the last 18 months or so. And we've improved massively since the World Cup.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
I know my stuff mate and base it on watching England AND other countries. If you don't think England are Top 3, give me your top three based on results, performances and future potential. I'll be waiting :rolleyes:

The facts are last four of the World Cup, top of the UNL in a group with Spain and a fading Croatia. Only France and Belgium are better than us based on the last 18 months or so. And we've improved massively since the World Cup.

No, I know my stuff, mate.

My claim trumps yours because of italics.

France and Belgium, definitely ahead. In a one off game I'd back most of the current world top ten against England. The team has regressed. Pickford is worse, the star right back (Trippier) has had his 15 minutes of fame, no quality defensive midfield, very few goals from anyone but Kane, no stand out centre backs.

Let me guess - you're English?

4LEX

Visit site
Really?? I think the opposite - our central defence and midfield options are as poor as they've been in my lifetime. Our attacking options for the future are fantastic, but you can only play 3 or 4 of them at once.

I'm curious as to what central defensive partnership we're going to build this successful period on?? Stones is an accident waiting to happen, Maguire is clumsy. Joe Gomez is superb but he is just one man, and we can only hope he doesn't continue to be unlucky with injuries.

The defence isn't littered with the individual quality of Rio or Terry but what did they win or actually achieve? Ditto the midfield with Gerrard and Lampard. The current England side is actually a team which goes a long way. Theres no other country that has a truely world class defence. You're looking at the negatives in those centrebacks, they're both very, very good defenders. Stones is a bit of a concern with his lack of football this season mind.

The future of football is strong, quick and technical players and England are full of them and within the next few years, more will have progressed on. The trend has been set with the younger sides. I actually think in Russia we underachieved given the draw but Euro 2020 with the semi finals and final at Wembley, we're going to be right there.

4LEX

Visit site
No, I know my stuff, mate.

My claim trumps yours because of italics.

France and Belgium, definitely ahead. In a one off game I'd back most of the current world top ten against England. The team has regressed. Pickford is worse, the star right back (Trippier) has had his 15 minutes of fame, no quality defensive midfield, very few goals from anyone but Kane, no stand out centre backs.

Let me guess - you're English?

I'd not argue with France. Although they've got issues in attack going forward and rely on a Chelsea bench striker to knit it together. And a dodgy Spurs keeper ;) Belgium on paper yes but they've bottled the last two tournaments and that will damage them no? A number of the golden generation are heading backwards too.

Brazil are improving despite going out early and if they discover a proper striker, would be up there. And if Neymar realised it was about scoring or creating rather than winning free kicks :cautious:

Holland are one to watch, some top players coming through but I'd fancy England to outperform them over the next few tournaments.

I base it on England's result, potential AND a lack of quality in other sides. I'm not saying we're world class in every area but we've got everything required to compete at that level. Trippier I think is having a bad season, as is Walker. However Alexander-Arnold and Wan Bissaka are both bloody brilliant players.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The defence isn't littered with the individual quality of Rio or Terry but what did they win or actually achieve? Ditto the midfield with Gerrard and Lampard. The current England side is actually a team which goes a long way. Theres no other country that has a truely world class defence. You're looking at the negatives in those centrebacks, they're both very, very good defenders. Stones is a bit of a concern with his lack of football this season mind.

The future of football is strong, quick and technical players and England are full of them and within the next few years, more will have progressed on. The trend has been set with the younger sides. I actually think in Russia we underachieved given the draw but Euro 2020 with the semi finals and final at Wembley, we're going to be right there.
I don't think you're making the case very well. We didn't win anything with much better players, therefore our current, mistake-prone players will do better? Ever since I've been alive people have been saying the next generation coming through are going to be amazing, and strangely they never are.

Here are the top 10 under 21s appearance makers for you, how many of them had great international careers?
Milner, Chalobah, Redmond, Huddlestone, Muamba, Ward-Prowse, Mancienne, Carson, Steven Taylor, Rose. Aside from Milner & Rose the other eight have achieved 11 caps combined.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'd not argue with France. Although they've got issues in attack going forward and rely on a Chelsea bench striker to knit it together. And a dodgy Spurs keeper ;) Belgium on paper yes but they've bottled the last two tournaments and that will damage them no? A number of the golden generation are heading backwards too.

Brazil are improving despite going out early and if they discover a proper striker, would be up there. And if Neymar realised it was about scoring or creating rather than winning free kicks :cautious:

Holland are one to watch, some top players coming through but I'd fancy England to outperform them over the next few tournaments.

I base it on England's result, potential AND a lack of quality in other sides. I'm not saying we're world class in every area but we've got everything required to compete at that level. Trippier I think is having a bad season, as is Walker. However Alexander-Arnold and Wan Bissaka are both bloody brilliant players.
Pardon? They lost to the best team in the competition in the semi-finals didn't they?