And, we’re off.......2018/2019

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I think Ole has just been lucky, I don’t think any of the results are down specifically to him as a trainer/manager/tactician, he’s simply took the shackles off and they reacted, and just like a dying fish, which bursts into energy for a while then suddenly dies, I think that will happen to Utd, fizz & burn :p

Will depend on how they do against Wolves (twice), then Watford, those next 3 matches to see their reaction to the first loss will be an acid test for, especially if they go out of the cup!

Things can be great when on a roll, I don’t think we’ve seen him actually manage anything yet, where he needs to adapt or change tactics mid-game, yes you’re capable of 3rd, other results above will dictate that though, 4th is a better prediction but I think you’ll just fall short in 5th as other react to their recent shortcomings.

How we progress in Europe can be pivotal if we believe we can win it, that might allow us [wrongly] to ease up on the league and go all out for the cup.

Hmm, the cracks are showing as predicted, his (Ole’s) honeymoon is over, 2 big games coming up for him, Watford then Wolves again away, for utd’s standards and where they see themselves that should be 6 points, but let’s see his managerial/coaching skills now when it matters against them 🤔

#FizzAndBurn

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Home advantage only matters when you don't match them for effort, that goes for any side.
I've never understood why football managers, teams, players treat home and away matches differently. I've been at dinners with ex players giving speeches and ask why they treat them differently and have yet to get a decent answer. The reality is they just do but they don't know why. I can't think of another sport where the conditions are the same yet a team alters its style and approach purely because it is not playing at its home ground.

D

Deleted member 1740

Hmm, the cracks are showing as predicted, his (Ole’s) honeymoon is over, 2 big games coming up for him, Watford then Wolves again away, for utd’s standards and where they see themselves that should be 6 points, but let’s see his managerial/coaching skills now when it matters against them 🤔

#FizzAndBurn

🤭🤭🤭 overreaction alert!!

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I've never understood why football managers, teams, players treat home and away matches differently. I've been at dinners with ex players giving speeches and ask why they treat them differently and have yet to get a decent answer. The reality is they just do but they don't know why. I can't think of another sport where the conditions are the same yet a team alters its style and approach purely because it is not playing at its home ground.

I'd say cricket relies on home advantage at intl level. That's of course based on weather and pitch conditions that vary massively throughout the world.

I think in footy, big teams can be put off going to small or old grounds. Saints certainly had a rather hostile changing room for the away teams. Plus pitches used to be made as small as possible. But generally now most clubs at least in the Prem all have decent standard facilities.

D

Deleted member 1740

I'd say cricket relies on home advantage at intl level. That's of course based on weather and pitch conditions that vary massively throughout the world.

I think in footy, big teams can be put off going to small or old grounds. Saints certainly had a rather hostile changing room for the away teams. Plus pitches used to be made as small as possible. But generally now most clubs at least in the Prem all have decent standard facilities.

Home advantage can and does play a part in football especially cup games. The top sides have enough quality to overcome it though only if they match the underdog with effort.

League games not so much unless its the top sides playing each other. Remember Wengers Arsenal going to Stoke every season? They were beaten before they got the ground.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Don’t forget home teams can set the dimensions of the pitch.. to suit their game

Say Cardiff at home see a team that use wingers coming.. they can narrow the pitch to their advantage

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Home advantage can and does play a part in football especially cup games. The top sides have enough quality to overcome it though only if the match the underdog with effort.

League games not so much unless its the top sides playing each other. Remember Wengers Arsenal going to Stoke every season? They were beaten before they got the ground.

I think that was just Arsenal having a weak mentality. I'd say it's less of an issue now, it exists, but not as it once did.

That may be due to the golf n class in creasing though i guess. 10/20 years ago, big teams would get home wins week in week out and then the league winners would be the team that had the better season away. Nowadays the top teams expect to win home and away.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Don’t forget home teams can set the dimensions of the pitch.. to suit their game

Say Cardiff at home see a team that use wingers coming.. they can narrow the pitch to their advantage

That rule was changed sometime ago. All pitches are required to be 105m x 68m if their stadium allows for it.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Just watching the BBC news where they showed a sending off at Wolves which was Overturned with VAR. Was it a red or yellow, why was it overturned? Seemed an odd un,

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Great to see Wolves, Watford, and either Brighton or Millwall in the semis.

However I think we all know who will win the Cup.

It’s a a real shame for those teams above because 20 years ago they would have stood a real chance of winning, now it’s about making the numbers up.

This is not a dig at City I blame the football authorities for allowing money to ruin the beautiful game.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site

It’s a a real shame for those teams above because 20 years ago they would have stood a real chance of winning, now it’s about making the numbers up.

This is not a dig at City I blame the football authorities for allowing money to ruin the beautiful game.

Have you seen the last 40 years worth of winners.

Since we (saints) won it in 1976 there have only been 6 winners that aren't part of the establishment.
Wimbledon having one of their best league seasons.
Ipswich who finished 3rd the year before their win.
West ham were a proper shock like ourselves being in the lower league.
Coventry were a mid table division one team.
Portsmouth another good league season.
Wigan were relegated and were probably the last shocker.

So 2 in the last 20 years and 4 in the proceeding 20. The notion that the cup was more open is a false one. Granted the finalists may have been more varied, but the winners weren't

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site

Money has certainly not helped, but today I should be sat on the settee with a face like a slapped Arse. We should be talking about another FA cup giant killing act. We should be talking about Watford, Wolves, Swansea and Millwall/Brighton semi finals. We should be talking about how the money that has ruined the game means that for the first time ever. None of the top six in the premier league are in the semi finals. However were not.
What we are talking about once more is not the game itself, but the incompetence of the rulers of our beautiful game, the FA. How they have managed to sell the game to BT so Joe public cannot watch it on terrestrial tv. How they managed to have the pigs ear of system called VAR at one quarter final, but not another. Even though it was there last year. The authorities that are partly to blame also make sure they have there snout in the trough to the detriment of the game.

Last edited: