And, we’re off.......2018/2019

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Yeah exactly like him!!

They had to let him go though - a want away on strike with a stupidly high offer that's funded a lot of their improvement for this season. But that's the sort of player they need.

I haven’t seen enough of him, but is that type of role Foden could fill?

Not that I think City would let him go to a rival

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I kno wit is a maximum of 5 Clubs.

If Chelsea win Europa Cup and finish 3rd in Premiership will the 5th place team be in The Champions league next year?

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I kno wit is a maximum of 5 Clubs.

If Chelsea win Europa Cup and finish 3rd in Premiership will the 5th place team be in The Champions league next year?

In your example there would still only be 4 teams in the CL. 1st, 2nd, 4th place in the league and Chelsea by both League position and by virtue of winning the Europa League.

I thought they changed the rules a couple of years ago to restrict it to 4 teams from a single country. So if Chelsea won the Europa League and finished 5th in the Premier League then they would go into the CL and the 4th place team would miss out and go into the Europa instead. I'm happy to be corrected if I have imagined that or made it up.

D

Deleted member 15344

Yeah exactly like him!!

They had to let him go though - a want away on strike with a stupidly high offer that's funded a lot of their improvement for this season. But that's the sort of player they need.

It’s a shame Fekir has his knee issue because he would have fitted in nicely , Shaqiri is too inconsistent but has been a smart but - there is a bit of paper talk about some players that are being targeted but I think Klopp does want someone who can play in that “10” roles

D

Deleted member 15344

In your example there would still only be 4 teams in the CL. 1st, 2nd, 4th place in the league and Chelsea by both League position and by virtue of winning the Europa League.

I thought they changed the rules a couple of years ago to restrict it to 4 teams from a single country. So if Chelsea won the Europa League and finished 5th in the Premier League then they would go into the CL and the 4th place team would miss out and go into the Europa instead. I'm happy to be corrected if I have imagined that or made it up.

I believe a country can still have 5 teams in the CL if a team from outside the top 4 wins the CL or Europa ? Wasn’t there 5 last season because Utd won Europa league ?

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I believe a country can still have 5 teams in the CL if a team from outside the top 4 wins the CL or Europa ? Wasn’t there 5 last season because Utd won Europa league ?

Just done some searching and it looks as though they did change the rules but in the opposite direction of what I thought......

"Prior to the 2015-16 season, there was a limit of four clubs from each association entering the Champions League. If a club outside of England's top four won the Champions League, the 4th placed club would be demoted to the Europa League in the following season. This occurred in the 2011–12 season when Chelsea won the Champions League but only finished sixth in the Premier League. They replaced Tottenham Hotspur in the Champions League, who were demoted to the Europa League as the final English representative in the Champions League."

But it is a maximum of 5 and we can't have 6 if English clubs win both European trophies in a season......

"From the 2018–19 season, if English clubs win both the UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League, and neither finish the Premier League in a position that qualifies them for the UEFA Champions League, the following will happen:

• The club that won the UEFA Champions League will go straight into the group stage
  • The UEFA Europa League winners will go into the UEFA Champions League group stage
  • The club that finished fourth in the Premier League will transfer into the UEFA Europa League"

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

They changed the rules to stop that sort of thing happening. So we could have 5 English teams in the Champion's League.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
They changed the rules to stop that sort of thing happening. So we could have 5 English teams in the Champion's League.
OK so going back to Post 10313 Man City win Liverpool 2nd Chelsea 3rd(Europa Cup winners so qualify Champions League) Tottenham 4th Man U 5th.
Who qualifies if 1. City win CL
2. Barcelona win CL

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
OK so going back to Post 10313 Man City win Liverpool 2nd Chelsea 3rd(Europa Cup winners so qualify Champions League) Tottenham 4th Man U 5th.
Who qualifies if 1. City win CL
2. Barcelona win CL
You can never qualify for the Champion's League by finishing 5th - unless you win the Champion's League or the Europa League at the same time.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Fair play to him if it is.
Think some of these owners shouldn’t bother with a manager & just do the job themselves.
I do wonder why that doesn't happen more often. Maybe having a fall guy all the time gives them a way to survive themselves. Interfere, take the glory when it works, blame someone else when it doesn't. Cowardly really.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Just the 5 goals tonight and although I know his intention was to rest certain players, I was very pleased with CHO & RLC both starting and Giroud getting a hatrick.

D

Deleted member 16999

Really good performance from Chelsea tonight, just need Arsenal to keep it going.