And, we’re off.......2018/2019

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Exactly. He jumped in a weird, unnatural way and left his arm out to make himself wider. People who protected themselves clench their arms into their chest.

It is sort of funny watching people melt down about it though. No surprise what teams they’ll generally support. :)
To me it’s clear. The defender jumped with sole intention to block the ball. He did, with his arm high and away from the body. That’s a pen and if it was given against my team, I’d be cheesed off but recognise that was the right decision and consistent with similar decisions. If he hadn’t given it, they’d be cries of more inconsistencies. Refs can’t win...

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I suppose it boils down to opinion, handball had to be deliberate.

Why would you be pissed off at the correct decision?
The opinion is driven by emotion. Emotion is natural in humans.

If it was given against us, my emotional reaction would be to be pissed off (prob an understatement).

The rules however, say it's a pen though. So it's a pen.

It's not down to opinion.

What a night though. Great to see Neymar on the touchline begging for fouls

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1740

The opinion is driven by emotion. Emotion is natural in humans.

If it was given against us, my emotional reaction would be to be pissed off (prob an understatement).

The rules however, say it's a pen though. So it's a pen.

What a night though. Great to see Neymar on the touchline begging for fouls

Rules say deliberate handball, for me that’s not a deliberate movement to the ball, he’s jumped, turned and took his eye off the ball.

If it was given in real time I could understand it but watching x amount of replays I think it’s wrong.

D

Deleted member 16999

Rules say deliberate handball, for me that’s not a deliberate movement to the ball, he’s jumped, turned and took his eye off the ball.

If it was given in real time I could understand it but watching x amount of replays I think it’s wrong.
Tbf, Dalot appealed straight away after he hit the shot, probably trying to pull a fast one and nowt to lose.

D

Deleted member 1740

Tbf, Dalot appealed straight away after he hit the shot, probably trying to pull a fast one and nowt to lose.

He’s bound too, dying minutes and they’re going out, most players would do exactly the same. It was very similar to the Schalke one last week they got against City, I didn’t think that was a pen neither.

D

Deleted member 16999

He’s bound too, dying minutes and they’re going out, most players would do exactly the same. It was very similar to the Schalke one last week they got against City, I didn’t think that was a pen neither.
I don’t think VAR has gained anymore support after the last 2 nights!

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Are you a professional arbiter of the rules of football?

If the answer is 'no', then your statement is an opinion.

The referees apply the rules as dictated by the ruling bodies. So their ruling is more valid than your opinion (which incidentally is the same as my opinion).

But as neither of us is a professional arbiter of the rules our opinion is irrelevant. Unless you want to debate every decision, VAR from hell!

The rules say it's a pen, according to the governing body and the professional arbiter of the rules, so.its a pen.

Personally I think the rules would benefit from clearing up.

People are entitled to their opinion, but when something is governed by rules it's the rules, not opinion that counts.

Last edited:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ottamendi was facing the ball though arms by his side.
PSG Guy is three foot in the air clearly trying to block the ball but your arms come out when you jump.
I can see why he’s given it but a lot of refs wouldn’t.
50/50 for me .

D

Deleted member 16999

Are you a professional arbiter of the rules of football?

If the answer is 'no', then your statement is an opinion.

The referees apply the rules as dictated by the ruling bodies. So their ruling is more valid than your opinion (which incidentally is the same as my opinion).

But as neither of us is a professional arbiter of the rules our opinion is irrelevant.

The rules say it's a pen, according to the governing body and the professional arbiter of the rules, so.its a pen.

Personally I think the rules would benefit from clearing up.

People are entitled to their opinion, but when something is governed by rules it's the rules, not opinion that counts.
Except it’s not!

Current rule states “Deliberate” Jun 01st they are removing the word “Deliberate” as Officials obviously can’t tell what’s going on in somebodies mind.

Therefore it is an opinion as to whether it’s deliberate or not and a different VAR Official may not of brought it to the attention of the Ref.

VAR simply gives someone else an opinion.