And, we’re off.......2018/2019

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
If you don't think they could near-double those wages moving elsewhere then you're kidding yourself. I wouldn't be surprised if Toby and Eriksen do exactly that in the near future, as they both seem to be umming and ahhing about signing new contracts at the minute. I don't believe it's ever been the board's intention to win the Premier League, simply by being talked in that vein we've exceeded expectations.
Still a 7 point gap to Arsenal and United and if you can't beat my mob at the moment you don't deserve top 4. Palace may be trickier. I am pretty sure top 4 is now a minimal requirement and CL football but I don't think deep down Levy and the board consider Spurs a PL winning side and nor do they seem to want to invest sufficient money to build a side of really competing year in, year out. I guess for them (not necessarily the fans), top four, good CL run and maybe pick up an FA or Carabo Cup is sufficient

Wolf

Visit site
You're talking is if you don't know anything about Spurs. We have never paid the top wages, and with us not even in the new stadium yet he's not going to start now. We are where we are because we managed to get a great manager in, and got lucky that lots of our players who didn't cost much (or anything) turned out to be amazing. Kane (free), Dele (5m), Eriksen (12m), Toby (11m). These sort of bargains don't exactly grow on trees.
No you're assuming talking like I don't know a thing about Spurs, I grew up in a house with a family that with the exception of myself are all huge Spurs fans and am surrounded by them both family and friends. I know all about them and hear all to often about them.

Spurs fans can defend them all they want but fact remains if board don't want to spend its a lack of ambition because everything is about the new stadium which in itself is a laughable situation, money is there if they so wish to spend it and healthy competition amongst payers breeds a winning mentality. If Kane is demanding he plays every game then more fool the club, manager and fans for allowing 1 player to become more important than the team.

Until they spend they won't be a title winning or cup winning team and that's coming from an Arsenal fan that's seen his team go down the exact same path until recently

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Honestly, I don't know why people keep saying our squad is lacking. When everyone's fit we have back-up in most positions.

Lloris (Gazzaniga)
Tripper (Aurier & KWP)
Davies (Rose)
Toby & Jan (Sanchez, Foyth & Dier)
Winks / Sissoko / Dier / Wanyama / Dembele(although he is now leaving so a replacement may be needed - Skipp has come through this season also)
Eriksen, Dele, Son (Lamela, Lucas)
Kane (Son, Llorente)

The way people go on you would think we had a bare bones squad of 14. I think we need to replace Dembele, although admittedly that will be nigh-on impossible to find someone of his quality. Potentially we need another forward at the moment, if Kane is out of action for a while. Otherwise we're fine. Levy is not going to fall into the trap of buying player after player to cover injuries and be left with an enormous squad and wage bill when everyone's fit again.

Wolf

Visit site
Honestly, I don't know why people keep saying our squad is lacking. When everyone's fit we have back-up in most positions.

Lloris (Gazzaniga)
Tripper (Aurier & KWP)
Davies (Rose)
Toby & Jan (Sanchez, Foyth & Dier)
Winks / Sissoko / Dier / Wanyama / Dembele(although he is now leaving so a replacement may be needed - Skipp has come through this season also)
Eriksen, Dele, Son (Lamela, Lucas)
Kane (Son, Llorente)

The way people go on you would think we had a bare bones squad of 14. I think we need to replace Dembele, although admittedly that will be nigh-on impossible to find someone of his quality. Potentially we need another forward at the moment, if Kane is out of action for a while. Otherwise we're fine. Levy is not going to fall into the trap of buying player after player to cover injuries and be left with an enormous squad and wage bill when everyone's fit again.
You may have a squad full but look at the back ups you really think they're a good enough like for like or even similar enough to conoetenwhen the first choice aren't fit..

I know out squad at Arsenal on paper like spurs looks decent enough but also not deluded enough to think the back ups are good enough to play for a top 4 side..

Spurs starting XI top 4 yes, back players would be lucky elto he permanent startslers at a 6 - 10th place side

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
You may have a squad full but look at the back ups you really think they're a good enough like for like or even similar enough to conoetenwhen the first choice aren't fit..

I know out squad at Arsenal on paper like spurs looks decent enough but also not deluded enough to think the back ups are good enough to play for a top 4 side..

Spurs starting XI top 4 yes, back players would be lucky elto he permanent startslers at a 6 - 10th place side
Who do you mean? Sanchez is a beast and absolutely good enough. Wanyama was class but the guy appears to be permanently injured so not sure what's going on with him. Lucas was tearing teams apart at the start of the season when Son was out, he's excellent. Lamela is a great player with some steel about him, I have loads of time for him as well. Rose & Davies are of equal quality I would say.

Aurier I don't rate at all, that's fair enough, Walker-Peters has potential though. Foyth has potential. Dier I don't rate but Poch obviously does because he uses him a lot when fit. Llorente is pretty average, but as discussed, you'd struggle to get a top striker to come and sit on the bench.

Wolf

Visit site
Who do you mean? Sanchez is a beast and absolutely good enough. Wanyama was class but the guy appears to be permanently injured so not sure what's going on with him. Lucas was tearing teams apart at the start of the season when Son was out, he's excellent. Lamela is a great player with some steel about him, I have loads of time for him as well. Rose & Davies are of equal quality I would say.

Aurier I don't rate at all, that's fair enough, Walker-Peters has potential though. Foyth has potential. Dier I don't rate but Poch obviously does because he uses him a lot when fit. Llorente is pretty average, but as discussed, you'd struggle to get a top striker to come and sit on the bench.

You wouldn't struggle if you paid the right money and gave proper completion for places instead of letting Kane demand he plays!!

All those you mentioned as decent players I stick by my point nit top 4 quality as regular starters

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
You wouldn't struggle if you paid the right money and gave proper completion for places instead of letting Kane demand he plays!!

All those you mentioned as decent players I stick by my point nit top 4 quality as regular starters
It benefits us to let Kane play, I don't know if you've noticed but he usually scores.

If they were good enough to start every game for any club then they'd be starting, either here or elsewhere. They are absolutely good enough as squad players.

Liverpool are are top and their back-ups are similar to ours! Lovren is toilet. Back-up keeper is a clown. Sturridge is a busted flush, as is Lallana. Moreno is a joke. Yet nobody questions their squad depth because their first team is so good, and they haven't lost any key players for any great length of time. And of course, they are top so everything is rosy there. Chelsea's squad depth is no better than ours either. Let's be honest the only side that has equal quality sat on the bench is Man City.

(Edit: Before LiverpoolPhil piles in to defend his precious Liverpool, this wasn't an attack at them, I just used them as an example of how very few teams have world class players sat on the bench.)

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
The idea that your second XI has to be as good as your first to compete is nonsense. But they have to be good enough to allow the better players around them to flourish and capable of fitting into the system. The problem with Llorente, imo, isn't necessarily his ability... he just isn't the same style as Kane so Spurs can't switch easily between them when needed.

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Still a 7 point gap to Arsenal and United and if you can't beat my mob at the moment you don't deserve top 4. Palace may be trickier. I am pretty sure top 4 is now a minimal requirement and CL football but I don't think deep down Levy and the board consider Spurs a PL winning side and nor do they seem to want to invest sufficient money to build a side of really competing year in, year out. I guess for them (not necessarily the fans), top four, good CL run and maybe pick up an FA or Carabo Cup is sufficient

you have heard of individual teams fans say the Man U way, the Liverpool way, the West Ham way, now what you have described in the highlighted bit above is what is known as the north London way

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I think you've misunderstood me slightly. I meant if Son moved from left wing to striker, then Lucas or Lamela comes in as the cover don't they. I've not heard of any academy strikers good enough to make the step up right now to be honest.

I understood what you meant. In theory Son is replaceable, but as Son generally plays as well as Kane. The fitness chances of injury of missing games from both of them is quite high. So basically you have one sub striker available in the whole squad.

In theory the timing of the injury could be a blessing. A couple of doable games but also a window to use to do something. If it happens in Feb it would have been worse.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Oxlade-chamberlain - "where's he going to fit in the team"

Fabinho - "where's he going to fit in the team"

Keita - "where's he going to fit in the team"

Shaqiri - "where's he going to fit in the team"

All said over the last 18 months.

Its a squad game now, not a team game. Ok the 3/4/5/6 choice may not be of the same standard as 1st choice, but if he can come in and do a reasonable job without the manager having to necessarily change the system, he should do.

18 months ago we had 16/17/18 year olds on the bench once we had 3-4 injuries in league games. Nowadays we dont tend to, unless we have an injury crisis in one position (centre half) which is unusual. Nowadays we normallt have £100 million plus of players on the becnh, when most are fit.

The new signings also improved the present incumbents. Milner has been great up until the last month. Wijnaldum has been my player of the season, alongside VVD.

Spurs have had CL for the last 3 years, they need to take this onto the pitch (and on the bench) if they have ambition. Pay the stadium off over 20-30 years. If the stadium hamstrings the best Spurs team of the last 30 years, they have got the balance/spread of payments wrong.

D

Deleted member 15344

It benefits us to let Kane play, I don't know if you've noticed but he usually scores.

If they were good enough to start every game for any club then they'd be starting, either here or elsewhere. They are absolutely good enough as squad players.

Liverpool are are top and their back-ups are similar to ours! Lovren is toilet. Back-up keeper is a clown. Sturridge is a busted flush, as is Lallana. Moreno is a joke. Yet nobody questions their squad depth because their first team is so good, and they haven't lost any key players for any great length of time. And of course, they are top so everything is rosy there. Chelsea's squad depth is no better than ours either. Let's be honest the only side that has equal quality sat on the bench is Man City.

(Edit: Before LiverpoolPhil piles in to defend his precious Liverpool, this wasn't an attack at them, I just used them as an example of how very few teams have world class players sat on the bench.)

Liverpool at least have cover that can do a job - and can adjust formations to cover if someone did get injured , Spurs have nothing for Kane. And Lovren maybe toilet yet been part of a back four that’s still top. The issue is Spurs could well be a one man team with Kane being the one man hence being played to death for the past 3/4 seasons - yep he scores goals when he plays but the issue is what happens when he doesn’t play and that could be shown very soon, the lack of any back up could cost Spurs CL - big risk to take

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Our squad has been good enough to have a good season so far,defensively I have no worries about the players we have. It’s been unfortunate that Dembele and Wanyama have been out at the same time but Sissoko and Winks have been very good. The problem now is in attack with Son away Lucas injured and possibly Kane injured .

Unlucky all 3 out at the same time and Llorente simply not good enough.

Levy was never going to spend big on players because of the cost of the new stadium .

The biggest test for Spurs to progress is to keep hold of Pochettino and then settle in the new ground and hopefully add to the squad.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Liverpool at least have cover that can do a job - and can adjust formations to cover if someone did get injured , Spurs have nothing for Kane. And Lovren maybe toilet yet been part of a back four that’s still top. The issue is Spurs could well be a one man team with Kane being the one man hence being played to death for the past 3/4 seasons - yep he scores goals when he plays but the issue is what happens when he doesn’t play and that could be shown very soon, the lack of any back up could cost Spurs CL - big risk to take
What happens when he doesn't play?
https://www.worldfootball.net/report/premier-league-2017-2018-chelsea-fc-tottenham-hotspur/
Haha, I'm kidding, I know that's only one game but I didn't have much to go on. He really hasn't been injured that much. In fairness he's that good that any team would miss him. Let's hope that if he is out for a while we're able to bring in a decent striker on loan at least.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

Back to the rubbish saying we have a one man team.

Son 12 goals
Moura 8 goals
Alli 6 goals
Eriksen 6 goals
Total 32

Firmino 10 goals
Mana 9 goals
Shaqiri 6 goals
Milner 5 goals
Total 30

So much for that theory

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site

Son 12 goals
Moura 8 goals
Alli 6 goals
Eriksen 6 goals
Total 32

Firmino 10 goals
Mana 9 goals
Shaqiri 6 goals
Milner 5 goals
Total 30

So much for that theory
What is it that say about stats.

Imo the bit that at least makes it worth considering you’re a one man team is that you have no similar player (obviously if a lesser quality). So we really have no idea how you’ll perform without him as Llorente won’t be able to play the same role. Atm I’d imagine both cb of a team worry about Kane and leave space for your others, llorente just needs a lump of a cb on him to counter his main asset.

Liverpool whilst having a star man basically just have 6/7 attak is players that interchange. That said, any team is worse without Kane or Salah.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
What is it that say about stats.

Imo the bit that at least makes it worth considering you’re a one man team is that you have no similar player (obviously if a lesser quality). So we really have no idea how you’ll perform without him as Llorente won’t be able to play the same role. Atm I’d imagine both cb of a team worry about Kane and leave space for your others, llorente just needs a lump of a cb on him to counter his main asset.

Liverpool whilst having a star man basically just have 6/7 attak is players that interchange. That said, any team is worse without Kane or Salah.

No doubt Kane’s very important for us and will be missed but we do have some idea how we will perform without him, last season he was out injured twice and we coped well.

Agree with your assessment of Llorente.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
It makes me laugh how these Liverpool supporters have such short memories regarding having no cover.

We all remember telling them they needed a new keeper because the 2 they had were liabilities.
We could all see it but Klopp couldn’t.
Klopp took a massive risk waiting for VVD to become available (a big risk at the time) since the defenders was absolute crap.

I believe Spurs have got it wrong regarding Kane cover but there not doing half as bad as Liverpool were.

D

Deleted member 15344

Son 12 goals
Moura 8 goals
Alli 6 goals
Eriksen 6 goals
Total 32

Firmino 10 goals
Mana 9 goals
Shaqiri 6 goals
Milner 5 goals
Total 30

So much for that theory

The point is if you take Kane out of your team then I would suspect the team would struggle to reach top four - he is that pivotal to Spurs , I think we would be able to have a bit more output if we lost Salah for example and whilst we wouldn’t be as strong if we lost VVD we would still get a top four spot IMO - Kane is that good for Spurs the loss of him will be significant and whilst stats can always be used how many of Kane’s are match winning goals. I guess you are going to find out soon enough