And, we’re off.......2018/2019

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
That screams of a classic short term, January panic buy. If he goes he will get a whopping pay rise and can sit next to Danny Drinkwater, and numerous others who have become forgotten men, on the bench and discuss what they can spend their money on beyond splinter removal therapy. Good money move, bad career move.

Not quite sure why a footie player should have a different mindset than the man on the street... Suggest, for the majority, an improved bank balance will be the first consideration... Never know what's around the corner in life...

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not quite sure why a footie player should have a different mindset than the man on the street... Suggest, for the majority, an improved bank balance will be the first consideration... Never know what's around the corner in life...
I do get that, I really do. However he is of an age where surely you want to play, not just sit on the bench. After all, he will not be on peanuts and Bournemouth will have increased his pay in the last year or so. You are a long time retired and he could waste his prime years sat on the subs bench. It has happened time and time again at Chelsea in particular. Playing in the PL he will be on big money already, it will get bigger the more he scores whether at Bournemouth or another mid table team. Surely you want to look back on your career with some level of pride as well?

D

Deleted member 15344

That screams of a classic short term, January panic buy. If he goes he will get a whopping pay rise and can sit next to Danny Drinkwater, and numerous others who have become forgotten men, on the bench and discuss what they can spend their money on beyond splinter removal therapy. Good money move, bad career move.

Sorry but there is no comparison at all to Drinkwater - just because they are English maybe but Drinkwater went to the club when it was already full of centre Mids and he was never going to force his way in - if they go for Wilson then he would be the best striker at the club - will score more than both Morata and Giroud and will play as the central striker most games. Seems actually a very good signing for Chelsea and far from short term gap filler - that is what Higuain would be.

If Wilson went to Chelsea then that could be a player to give them the goals for a top four spot

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Also on the side of Wilson being a good signing. Wouldn't be comfortable paying £50m for him, but he's definitely a cut above Morata, who is apparently going to Sevilla anyway, so they need to replace him with someone and Wilson is a very good option. He's quick, strong, and more importantly scores goals.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
So if you have a choice of the three strikers - Morata , Giroud and Wilson

You would have Wilson on the bench ?
I think that is a different question. It also depends on how you are going to play. Against Spurs they had the young lad out right pinging in crosses that Giroud would die for. He hasn't had that level of service and ironically it was wasted as they played Hazard through the middle. Equally, Hazard plays well with Giroud as Giroud holds the ball and feeds him. To get the best out of Hazard you play Giroud, at the moment.

If they buy Wilson then you play him and see how he fits. If he does and he scores then he plays, that isn't a tricky decision. The original question though was would you pay £50m for Wilson and I would answer no to that. If they do I still believe come summer that Chelsea will go out and buy another striker, one that is unlikely to be available now. That striker will then take over and Wilson will take his seat on the bench. In my eyes they are talking about spending £50m for a player that they will get 4 months out of and will ultimately sell him on down the line for £15m-£20m. I don't think that is good business.

D

Deleted member 15344

I think that is a different question. It also depends on how you are going to play. Against Spurs they had the young lad out right pinging in crosses that Giroud would die for. He hasn't had that level of service and ironically it was wasted as they played Hazard through the middle. Equally, Hazard plays well with Giroud as Giroud holds the ball and feeds him. To get the best out of Hazard you play Giroud, at the moment.

If they buy Wilson then you play him and see how he fits. If he does and he scores then he plays, that isn't a tricky decision. The original question though was would you pay £50m for Wilson and I would answer no to that. If they do I still believe come summer that Chelsea will go out and buy another striker, one that is unlikely to be available now. That striker will then take over and Wilson will take his seat on the bench. In my eyes they are talking about spending £50m for a player that they will get 4 months out of and will ultimately sell him on down the line for £15m-£20m. I don't think that is good business.

I think you are judging Wilson on other transfers that Chelsea have made over the years where as Wilson is actually a player , the only thing that has hampered him over the years is the injuries - that would the only question mark that stops a club paying what is prob the going rate these days for a guy who scores goals in the Prem and is still mid 20’s

He is quick , skillful , can finish , can hold the Ball up , can play the wide areas , run the channels , play to balls over the top or get involved in the build up - if he does move and get a run in the team he will score goals for Chelsea. He isn’t another Drinkwater and wouldn’t warm the bench - the only risk is the knees and that is a big risk at £50mil but fully fit - excellent player.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Also on the side of Wilson being a good signing. Wouldn't be comfortable paying £50m for him, but he's definitely a cut above Morata, who is apparently going to Sevilla anyway, so they need to replace him with someone and Wilson is a very good option. He's quick, strong, and more importantly scores goals.

Got to be honest, I've seen him numerous times and don't rate him at all. Bit of a Darren Bent, scores a few but in the end an absolute donkey :ROFLMAO:
Put it this way, when he played for England he looked waaaay out of his depth, imo of course ;)

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
So if you have a choice of the three strikers - Morata , Giroud and Wilson

You would have Wilson on the bench ?

On form and playing in a counter attacking team Wilson is on fire this season. That said he’s yet to break double figures in the premierleague. So whilst he may be better than what they have (personally I’d start Giroud every week). I wouldn’t be banking in him coming to a new team and style and guaranteeing top 4.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I find Wilson to be a bit of streaky form player, and he has a poor injury record with two cruciates in the last few years. I'm not sure that makes him a £50m player, but then you have to pay stupid money for any reasonable player now, and being English adds about £10m thanks to home grown quota. He's not the top drawer striker I'd expect a top four club to sign.

If they do sign him though, he'll definitely play, for the rest of this season at least. Next summer they might bring in a big name to usurp him, but for now he will start.

D

Deleted member 15344

Got to be honest, I've seen him numerous times and don't rate him at all. Bit of a Darren Bent, scores a few but in the end an absolute donkey :ROFLMAO:
Put it this way, when he played for England he looked waaaay out of his depth, imo of course ;)

Played one game - scored one goal , not bad for someone “waaaaaay out of depth”

On form and playing in a counter attacking team Wilson is on fire this season. That said he’s yet to break double figures in the premierleague. So whilst he may be better than what they have (personally I’d start Giroud every week). I wouldn’t be banking in him coming to a new team and style and guaranteeing top 4.

Injuries is what’s held him back so far and that’s the risk with him - as well as the serious ones it’s a couple of niggling ones as well , get passed them and he will get double figures each season. , especially for a team that’s going to create him lots of chances.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Played one game - scored one goal , not bad for someone “waaaaaay out of depth”

Injuries is what’s held him back so far and that’s the risk with him - as well as the serious ones it’s a couple of niggling ones as well , get passed them and he will get double figures each season. , especially for a team that’s going to create him lots of chances.

He’s still been playing 25 games plus. Having seen a fair bit of Chelsea, I don’t think they create an abundance of chances. When was the last time they had a striker score 30 goals? Did Drogba maybe do it once? No matter the manager they always seem to rely on midfielders chipping in.

Put it this way, if Liverpool were connected with him for £50m. Would you want him? Not as a replacement, just purely on price? I think if Chelsea off that, Bournemouth will take it and run.

D

Deleted member 15344

He’s still been playing 25 games plus. Having seen a fair bit of Chelsea, I don’t think they create an abundance of chances. When was the last time they had a striker score 30 goals? Did Drogba maybe do it once? No matter the manager they always seem to rely on midfielders chipping in.

They still create more than Bournemouth though - I don’t expect he would get 30 goals in a league season but I expect around 20

Put it this way, if Liverpool were connected with him for £50m. Would you want him? Not as a replacement, just purely on price? I think if Chelsea off that, Bournemouth will take it and run.

The only thing that would put me off him would be the injuries , he isn’t a £50mil player but then it’s hard to judge what is a £50mil player these days - if someone can get you 20 goals a season what’s that worth to a team ?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

Last season he scored 9 in 31 appearances. I think 50m is a lot for someone who has not fully proved himself at the top level yet.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
They still create more than Bournemouth though - I don’t expect he would get 30 goals in a league season but I expect around 20

The only thing that would put me off him would be the injuries , he isn’t a £50mil player but then it’s hard to judge what is a £50mil player these days - if someone can get you 20 goals a season what’s that worth to a team ?

It would appear £50m is the price you can put on a 20 goal player 😂😂
Unfortunately like you mentioned, he’s injured prone. So as much as talent raises price, that too should lower it imo.

I guess part of it is down to the market though. I mean £30m bmouth can probably afford to refuse.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I heard a little rumour Liverpool were interested!
And fully fit I think he would fit us. Maybe the price and his injury history is a prob.
But who do you leave out.
I stress it was only a rumour.