And, we’re off.......2018/2019

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
We played without 9 first team regulars and only just got beat by a Wolves full strength team that have taken points of most of the top 6 - I would expect no one to make any judgments about the league on the team that played last night

City lost games when they were missing one or two of their main players.

Bottom line is you got beat because your squad is not strong enough, although you have played well in the league and at the moment are in a good position I think over the course of the season no team will be able to compete with City.

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Apparently Wolves changed 5 players last night so not an entirely full strength side. 5 changes v 9 changes, the magic of the cup :(

Not for me, change the goalie and put Patricio back in and that's our strongest side. Every one of the players has featured over the course of the season and not just in bits and bobs.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not for me, change the goalie and put Patricio back in and that's our strongest side. Every one of the players has featured over the course of the season and not just in bits and bobs.
That's what I thought - it looked like a line-up of mostly first-team players to me. Whereas Liverpool had a few children, and players who don't get a look-in normally.

Most teams rotate players for the cup, especially after the Christmas/New Year fixture pile-up, but Liverpool obviously went a bit too far with it and it backfired.

D

Deleted member 15344

Apparently Wolves changed 5 players last night so not an entirely full strength side. 5 changes v 9 changes, the magic of the cup :(

Most of the changes Wolves did we’re bringing back into the team their strongest and best players - I suspect bar the GK and maybe Doherty that’s near their best line up so whilst it’s easy to look at the pure stats and make a judgement it’s safer to look beyond that - out of the players last night I suspect 4 will start further games for the rest of the season - Keita , Fabinho , Shaqiri and Lovren - and even two of them are guaranteed each week

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
Most of the changes Wolves did we’re bringing back into the team their strongest and best players - I suspect bar the GK and maybe Doherty that’s near their best line up so whilst it’s easy to look at the pure stats and make a judgement it’s safer to look beyond that - out of the players last night I suspect 4 will start further games for the rest of the season - Keita , Fabinho , Shaqiri and Lovren - and even two of them are guaranteed each week

So, basically, Wolves made better use of their squad than Liverpool to secure the win...

D

Deleted member 15344

So, basically, Wolves made better use of their squad than Liverpool to secure the win...
Wolves i suspect looked at it as a trophy they could really win hence they put a strong team out where as Klopp who was also hampered by illness and injuries put out a team other comps in mind. It wasn’t as if we were steamrolled - that save from Ruddy was outstanding. Both managers just assessed the game reflective to the various clubs ambitions for the rest of the season.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
We played without 9 first team regulars and only just got beat by a Wolves full strength team that have taken points of most of the top 6 - I would expect no one to make any judgments about the league on the team that played last night

City lost games when they were missing one or two of their main players.

City have not started a single game this year without KDB, Silva and Fernandinho. They were the heartbeat of last season. Mendys been missing nearly all year. That aside, We have not clicked at all. When we have been beat, we have been well and truly beat. We have a stronger squad, but we have been putting square pegs in round holes when it has come to certain positions, ie left back.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

Thanks for clarifying. I was listening to the radio on the way in to work this morning and the comment about who made the most changes came up. I didn't bother checking the accuracy, I wrongly assume the presenter would have got their facts right. Oops.

I didn't see the game. Because of the changes most clubs make it doesn't get interesting to watch as a neutral until the 5th round at best. Manhunt on ITV won out instead, very good it is too.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
City have not started a single game this year without KDB, Silva and Fernandinho. They were the heartbeat of last season. Mendys been missing nearly all year. That aside, We have not clicked at all. When we have been beat, we have been well and truly beat. We have a stronger squad, but we have been putting square pegs in round holes when it has come to certain positions, ie left back.

first world problems and all that Tashy :)

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Thanks for clarifying. I was listening to the radio on the way in to work this morning and the comment about who made the most changes came up. I didn't bother checking the accuracy, I wrongly assume the presenter would have got their facts right. Oops.

I didn't see the game. Because of the changes most clubs make it doesn't get interesting to watch as a neutral until the 5th round at best. Manhunt on ITV won out instead, very good it is too.

Watched the first episode when I got back from the game, brilliant tv.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Poor performance, poor game.

We were shocking and I think one thing that Jurgen should have changed after 30 minutes was the formation. Camacho was bombing forward too far and leaving Hoever exposed, as both were on the same side of the defence (right hand side) and right in front of the defence. Also the lack of experience showed.

We should have gone 3/5/2 with Milner, Moreno and fabinho as the 3 centre halves (all experienced, although Moreno is just shocking) and should have put the 2 kids as the wing backs (less in harms way), which also would have let Shakiri play as a no.10 where he would have been more effective.

I agree on giving VVD a rest, Lovren had a break with an injury the other month, but you cant factor in Lovren getting a hammy after 5 mins, and I also believe that henderson was due to play CH, before injury/illness kyboshed that a day before. Need Gomez and Matip back ASAP.

Sturridge needs to learn to put some effort in, Keita needs to show us more of the player we signed, Milner was poor but at least tried, shakiri ineffective as was too wide, Moreno is just rubbish and hasnt learnt nothing over the last 2-3 years. Mignolet was Mignolet. Fabinho was the only shining light.

Bad day at the office, we all have them, disappointed to go out but not heart-broken. The league is the priority, well done Wolves.

Tashyboy

Visit site
As Liverpool drop out and prioritise the League, I think the FA cup is City's best chance of a " Major" trophy. That aside were still on for the Quad 😂

Tashyboy

Visit site
Reading a piece where Liverpool were saying part of the problem for there defeat v City was that Pep had asked for the grass to be to long. 😖

D

Deleted member 18121

I was talking with the lads at work the other day about how certain players have a particular way of diving.... I said that Kanes was to put feet together, legs dead straight and then swan dive..... It's the same technique every time.