And, we’re off.......2018/2019

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Which is why, imo, you’re wrong when you say a “bit under utilised”
No matter how good he’s playing now (out wide mainly) he’s had a few small spells at CM, his career has been built on his ability out wide, whether that be defence, midfield or attack.
Here is a little article I've found, Milner discussing how he prefers central midfielder and moved to Liverpool in part so he could play there more often:
https://www.squawka.com/en/news/james-milner-on-his-best-position/423567#aKQEkZWe8D7td2Qa.97

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
United getting a solid result ....................... which is nice.
Pogba was excellent but, for me, the full backs were both really good, especially going forwards.
Dalot had a superb debut, hopefully a sign of things to come.
De Gea did what De Gea does ...................... just fantastic.

D

Deleted member 1740

Fair one, He didn’t really start well though did he? Wasn’t it Klopp who really saw his versatility?

Milner never started well but not many did that following season. I've never been a fan of Milner in midfield, as i didnt think he had enough quality but what he lacks in quality he makes up with his hard work and graft.

Despite what some internet hardcases say, Klopp has improved him and many others in the squad.

D

Deleted member 16999

Milner never started well but not many did that following season. I've never been a fan of Milner in midfield, as i didnt think he had enough quality but what he lacks in quality he makes up with his hard work and graft.

Despite what some internet hardcases say, Klopp has improved him and many others in the squad.
Milner has without doubt been Klopp’s biggest success to date, very closely followed by Robertson.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Brilliant, one article 16 years after his debut, genuine question to you or anyone who might know, how many times has been Milner been 1st choice CM for LPool?
Not that long ago. Last season he played 35 times at CM.
Source: https://www.transfermarkt.com/james-milner/leistungsdaten/spieler/3333/plus/0?saison=2017
The season before that was the season when he played LB the entire campaign. Obviously enforced by their lack of other options at the time.
Season before that he was split between RM and CM, only slightly more in favour of RM. I can't recall what formation they were using though.

D

Deleted member 16999

Not that long ago. Last season he played 35 times at CM.
Source: https://www.transfermarkt.com/james-milner/leistungsdaten/spieler/3333/plus/0?saison=2017
The season before that was the season when he played LB the entire campaign. Obviously enforced by their lack of other options at the time.
Season before that he was split between RM and CM, only slightly more in favour of RM. I can't recall what formation they were using though.
Mate, that link says he only started 26 games out 55 times he was in the squad, out of the 26 how many was at CM, so you could read that that he wasn’t 1st choice for over 50% of the games. Stats go both ways ;)
I totally agree he’s playing superb and imo probably better than any other time in his career, maybe the issue has been that him and his managers see him differently and now he’s matured and experienced he’s finally found the right manager and Club

D

Deleted member 18121

Just to throw this into the Milner discussion.....for me he is the new Kuyt.

D

Deleted member 16999

Nah, Robbo has had the biggest improvement to his game.
Robertson is quality and still early days for him, potentially he could be up there with one of your best ever signings.
Milner was probably a stop gap in his twilight years

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Just to throw this into the Milner discussion.....for me he is the new Kuyt.

Nar, Millies technically a lot better.

Good first touch, takes a mean corner and has great crossing ability, can beat a man on occasion as well.

Diry Kuyt was cockney rhyming slang for ......the most hard working player I've ever seen, but poor first touch and not the best passing ability.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'd say Firminho is his biggest improvement.

Turned him from a slow winger into an international class striker, and with only one good eye. ;)
He was never a winger, he was playing a central attacking role for Hoffenheim as well. From number 10 to false 9 is not a huge transition.