And, we’re off.......2018/2019

D

Deleted member 15344

Not a great night for City

All that money spent - 4 English team to lose four CL games in a row , beaten at home in front of an empty stadium whilst the manager sits in the stands.

I guess they are rightly no longer favourites

D

Deleted member 1740

Not a great night for City

All that money spent - 4 English team to lose four CL games in a row , beaten at home in front of an empty stadium whilst the manager sits in the stands.

I guess they are rightly no longer favourites

Whilst it wasnt a great night, its a bit of an overreaction after 1 result.

i dont think they were worthy favourites before the comp started based on previous CL campaigns.

They have empty seats every week, nothing out of the ordinary last night.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
What does any of that mean? He did a job for City of course because he's a professional, I'm just saying he's a far better centre mid than right winger. And he mainly played right wing at City. Why does how many trophies the teams won have anything to do with it?

So what does playing right wing have to do with it. He played right wing for England. Did we get that wrong. Has He has got right wing pace. Neither does Bernardo or David Silva. He is a player who has played in three differant positions coz he can and will.

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
So what does playing right wing have to do with it. He played right wing for England. Did we get that wrong. He has got right wing pace. Neither does Bernardo or David Silva. He is a player who has played in three differant positions coz he can and will.
It's not difficult to understand. He's a 7/10 winger but a 8 or 9/10 centre mid, that's all. Yeah he plays decent out wide but it's not getting the best out of him. Simple really, let's move on shall we.

D

Deleted member 16999

It's not difficult to understand. He's a 7/10 winger but a 8 or 9/10 centre mid, that's all. Yeah he plays decent out wide but it's not getting the best out of him. Simple really, let's move on shall we.
He is predominatly a wide player, yes he’s played all over the park, but he never played centre midfield for proplonged periods.
I’m not sure how you rate him higher as a cm than the position he’s played at every club? Maybe you see something all those managers and clubs missed over his career.
Even now when he’s looking better than ever Klopp has played him mainly out wide, either in defence or midfield.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
He is predominatly a wide player, yes he’s played all over the park, but he never played centre midfield for proplonged periods.
I’m not sure how you rate him higher as a cm than the position he’s played at every club? Maybe you see something all those managers and clubs missed over his career.
Even now when he’s looking better than ever Klopp has played him mainly out wide, either in defence or midfield.
We're seeing it right now aren't we?? His skillset is more suited to it, and his performances are better. I recall he used to play there for Villa, and his form there prompted City to buy him in the first place.
Here's a bit from his Wikipedia I just checked to confirm:
At the start of the 2009–10 season, Milner moved into the centre of midfield after the sale of captain Gareth Barry to Manchester City... Milner ended the season with 12 goals and was named Aston Villa's Fan's Player of the Year and PFA Young Player of the Year.
He joined City immediately after that. Obviously he couldn't get in the side in midfield for them as they had a lot of good options which forced him out wide, where he was still solid.

Tashyboy

Visit site
Whilst it wasnt a great night, its a bit of an overreaction after 1 result.

i dont think they were worthy favourites before the comp started based on previous CL campaigns.

They have empty seats every week, nothing out of the ordinary last night.

Probably the most sensible post wtitten this week.
PS didnt see any if the game. In me jols in Kos

D

Deleted member 16999

We're seeing it right now aren't we?? His skillset is more suited to it, and his performances are better. I recall he used to play there for Villa, and his form there prompted City to buy him in the first place.
Here's a bit from his Wikipedia I just checked to confirm:

He joined City immediately after that. Obviously he couldn't get in the side in midfield for them as they had a lot of good options which forced him out wide, where he was still solid.
What about the rest of the article were it states he started his career out wide, nobody is doubting his ability, but NO club has bought him on the back of his CM prowess, his first 12 months at LPool he played LB.
Had Barry not been sold by Villa, he would of stayed out wide.

D

Deleted member 1740

What about the rest of the article were it states he started his career out wide, nobody is doubting his ability, but NO club has bought him on the back of his CM prowess, his first 12 months at LPool he played LB.

Rodgers did, maybe we all have to bow down to Brodger's eye for talent......

No he never, klopp played him there the 2nd season, this is his 4th season for us

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Which brings us back to my initial point, which I didn't expect to be debated for this long. Just that he's been a bit under-utilised at times. Good winger, but a great midfielder.

Sometimes versatility can harm a player as much as it benefits him and his team. He covered at LB for a season because he was good enough to play there and they had no better option, that doesn't mean it was his best position all of a sudden.

It's like when England used to play Scholes on the left. That only happened because out of him, Gerrard & Lampard he was the most capable of playing on the left. It didn't get the best out of him though. You see it with strikers as well - Martial and Rashford are always played on the left wing if they get games at all, but they are both strikers. Kyle Walker plays CB for England now, but you wouldn't say it's his best position would you? The examples are endless.

D

Deleted member 1740

Probably the most sensible post wtitten this week.
PS didnt see any if the game. In me jols in Kos

Thanks Tashy, it means a lot coming from you 😁😁

Speedo's and Crocs this week???

D

Deleted member 16999

Rodgers did, maybe we all have to bow down to Brodger's eye for talent......

No he never, klopp played him there the 2nd season, this is his 4th season for us
Fair one, He didn’t really start well though did he? Wasn’t it Klopp who really saw his versatility?

D

Deleted member 16999

Which brings us back to my initial point, which I didn't expect to be debated for this long. Just that he's been a bit under-utilised at times. Good winger, but a great midfielder.

Sometimes versatility can harm a player as much as it benefits him and his team. He covered at LB for a season because he was good enough to play there and they had no better option, that doesn't mean it was his best position all of a sudden.

It's like when England used to play Scholes on the left. That only happened because out of him, Gerrard & Lampard he was the most capable of playing on the left. It didn't get the best out of him though. You see it with strikers as well - Martial and Rashford are always played on the left wing if they get games at all, but they are both strikers. Kyle Walker plays CB for England now, but you wouldn't say it's his best position would you? The examples are endless.
Which is why, imo, you’re wrong when you say a “bit under utilised”
No matter how good he’s playing now (out wide mainly) he’s had a few small spells at CM, his career has been built on his ability out wide, whether that be defence, midfield or attack.

Tashyboy

Visit site

This is where i am starting to agree with you. And al use Sterling as an example. He is not Engalnds second best striker, yet he plays there. When England were struggling v Croatia he should of dropped Sterling to the wing and put Rashford alongside Kane.

D

Deleted member 16999

This is where i am starting to agree with you. And al use Sterling as an example. He is not Engalnds second best striker, yet he plays there. When England were struggling v Croatia he should if dripped Sterling to the wing and put Rashford alongside Kane.
Who would of you dropped to move Sterling?