An old Scottish custom

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I watched a programme with Jack Nicklaus talking through his opens.

For the duel in the sun, he said after he hit his approach into 18 that he saw people throwing coins into his old divot, and it was only later on that he heard that it was an old Scottish custom for luck.

Anyone else heard of this, do it, or know the thinking behind it?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The only time we throw money away like that is from a Brides wedding car . The father usually throws a hand full coins out of the car window. It's called a scramble, the money hardly hits the ground, all the kids from the street are waiting to catch it.

That'll be the 'scramble' of old as we called it also - scrabbling about on the ground after the pennies and odd thruppence - never heard of throwing coins into an old divot.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
The only time we throw money away like that is from a Brides wedding car . The father usually throws a hand full coins out of the car window. It's called a scramble, the money hardly hits the ground, all the kids from the street are waiting to catch it.

"In my day" or "in my part of the world" it was called a scoor-oot.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The wedding thing was a 'poor [pour] oot'. If you were really lucky you got the odd tanner. [In my day and my part of the world]

Never heard of the divot thing, and I have heard most of them.

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
The kids would ask are they hivin a scrammel :whoo:

:thup:

Deffo a scram'll down my way.

As for the coins thrown in the divot, it's never been heard of on here. In the book, he states:

"It's apparently a Scottish custom....People came over and threw piles of coins on that divot..... I didn't see it but I was told about it later..."

Someone prob talking nonsense in the bar.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Just heard the same story from Nicklaus on The Open podcast.

I think it is pure BS.
Thinking that if it did happen, that it could possibly be that some canny Scots lad thought of a wheeze in which he tells any yanks within earshot of such a ‘custom’…they then chucked pennies into the divot and oor canny lad followed up and scooped up his bounty once they’d moved on. But more likely just a load of mis-remembered tosh from the Golden Bear.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Strangely enough one of the old Scottish golf tips used to be, 'once you have hit your shot you should see if their is a tanner [6d] under where your ball was'.
Basically ............. Keep yer heid doon.
Perhaps this may have confused Jack.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Strangely enough one of the old Scottish golf tips used to be, 'once you have hit your shot you should see if their is a tanner [6d] under where your ball was'.
Basically ............. Keep yer heid doon.
Perhaps this may have confused Jack.
Seems a much more likely story - and only needs to be told once!
Scots throwing money away? Pah! Except for wedding 'pour oots'!