An odd un

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Played in a nine hole comp today and on one of the holes I smashed a fairway wood miles anyway my playing partner had lost his first and played a provisional. We found his second but not first ( I found nine balls) anyway he played his provisional and we went to look for my ball. Well could we Eck as find it. So I put myself down for a blob as I had not played a provisional. I played the next two hole which bring you back to within yards from where I had probably lost my ball.

my playing partner said "if you find your ball now can you play it" I said probably not

So what would the actual ruling be. Cheers boys.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Nope. Holes must be played in the right order. So if you were playing matchplay you'd have lost the hole; if you were strokeplay, you'd have NR'd the hole.

Ps: if you did find the ball and play it, you'd be playing a wrong ball and would suffer the appropriate penalties.

Last edited:

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
The answer is of course not. You have 5 minutes to find the ball (see "Lost ball" in "definitions" in Rules of Golf). I'm sure there are other references covering playing the holes in the right order but I'll leave that to the OP, who would benefit from a read through of the rule book.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
The answer is of course not. You have 5 minutes to find the ball (see "Lost ball" in "definitions" in Rules of Golf). I'm sure there are other references covering playing the holes in the right order but I'll leave that to the OP, who would benefit from a read through of the rule book.

Rules 2 and 3 refer to playing the stipulated round - the definition of which includes playing the holes in the right order.

Tashyboy

Visit site
Cheers gents. I thought it was a bit of karma because I was grinning from ear to ear having found nine balls looking for trevs and another looking for mine. Soon stopped smiling when I couldn't find mine though.

Tashyboy

Visit site
Rules 2 and 3 refer to playing the stipulated round - the definition of which includes playing the holes in the right order.

To be honest am glad I didn't find it when walking past coz I would of been livid. Not that it mattered to my score anyway. Thanks again.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
No need to look at the implications of a stipulated round. The ball was lost after 5 minutes of searching; the player did not have a score for the hole if he did not go back, play under stroke and distance and hole out; he lost the chance of going back and holing out correctly when he put a ball into play at the next tee. It ended there.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
No need to look at the implications of a stipulated round. The ball was lost after 5 minutes of searching; the player did not have a score for the hole if he did not go back, play under stroke and distance and hole out; he lost the chance of going back and holing out correctly when he put a ball into play at the next tee. It ended there.
They might have been playing very quickly :p Five minutes might not be up. The next tee puts the option of playing the "old" hole out of the question because you have to complete holes in the right order.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
They might have been playing very quickly :p Five minutes might not be up. The next tee puts the option of playing the "old" hole out of the question because you have to complete holes in the right order.
Less than 5 minutes to complete one hole and play another hole and a bit. Aye, right. :)

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
Less than 5 minutes to complete one hole and play another hole and a bit. Aye, right. :)

Possibly with a couple of holes in one?
Otherwise, no way, especially since his "lost" ball was one that he expected to find, so would have spent a good few minutes looking for ir bfore giving up.

However, imagine if you *could" play your lost ball regardless how long it took to find it....

"Hey! Here's that ball that I lost during last year's Club championship that i came second in, by a single shot!. Hang on while I just finish the hole and I might score a 4 rather than a 6..."

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site

Ok, how about he never started looking for his ball?:) (He doesn't actually say he did look for it). His 5 mins wouldn't have started, let alone finished? Playing from the next tee means he would not be completing holes in the correct order.

(Isn't there a decision pretty much about this - about someone starting a new hole, before completing the hole in play in order to save time. Pretty much analogous wouldn't you think?)

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't follow this determination to bring playing the stipulated round into it. Whether he looks for his ball or not, by playing off at the next tee the player has finished play of the previous hole. If he had not holed out he is either disqualified for the hole in stableford or from the competition in stroke play. You need go no further.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't follow this determination to bring playing the stipulated round into it. Whether he looks for his ball or not, by playing off at the next tee the player has finished play of the previous hole. If he had not holed out he is either disqualified for the hole in stableford or from the competition in stroke play. You need go no further.

Because the stipulated round is the underlying principle of the other applicable rules?