An introduction followed by delight but ending in dilemma?

Odvan

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi all,

Very new to the forum and have enjoyed reading through archived threads on a whole host of subjects despite me not being 'technical' on a number of things.

I'll try not to go on but as the subject header goes I first bought a set of Clubs 17 years ago and I still have and use them.... They're a set of Hippo Plus oversize irons (blades?) and back in the day I even got a 1/3/5 wood with them, for the poultry sum of £250.

I was always a VERY casual golfer, never a member anywhere and the most regular i played, at best, was once a month from about 5 years ago in a stableford (Stand Golf Club) I was invited to. I was given a 20h and always performed to about that. I stopped playing completely again about 3 years ago but about a month ago realised that I do rock all in the form of exercise, so thought I'd start out again but this time with a determination to keep playing.

I've played 3 rounds since and thoroughly enjoyed it, mixing in about 4 visits to the range. The first round was at Formby Hall on the Par 3 course not doing so well, the second round was at Harwood in Bolton and I shot a 94 (p70) but today I'm back from 18 holes, again at Formby Hall par 3 course and shot what I think was a brilliant 64 (p54).

Now, the dilemma bit...although perhaps too late to be a dilemma, I think.... To get me determined to play more and after 17 years of virtual redundancy I decided that I'd buy a new set of irons, followed by a hybrid and a driver. I went to hit some irons after doing plenty research with a specific budget in mind and was sold when I hit the Mizuno JPX 800HD's (slightly over budget). I got fitted and am currently awaiting delivery but the dilemma is with the way I played today and whether I actually needed a full set of new irons. I have always got massive loft and hit the ball sweet when I'm on it, particularly my short irons and one of the JPX800HD's selling points is the additional loft 'assistance' they give. Today, I don't think any other Club would have made a difference, I hit 11 pars and hit the green, and held it, on 10 holes. I don't use a tee not even for the 6i I hit when the wind and rain was against us.

So, having no doubt bored you guys, aside from the additional distance i'll no doubt benefit from with the more modern mizuno's, I'm doubting whether a full set was necessary. Perhaps I should have started my quest for fitness in reverse by simply seeing if I stuck at it with my old clubs before then thinking about spending once I knew I was 'up for it'. I paid for em in full so don't think I'll be able to change my mind (shafts 1/2in longer). I have also always had a prominent fade that I never bothered to work at because of my infrequency playing and the forgiveness the HD's offer played another part in me checking them out.

So, Should I resist hitting the mizuno's when they're ready and keep at it with my old irons given today's performance and to those who've played the Formby Par 3 course who regularly play, would you have been delighted with that score?

Sorry for the long first post guys but I've tried to explain to the missus how well I've played today and she just looked at me blankly and asked me why I needed new 'cue's' so will hopefully at least have reminded someone of there 'chuffed to bits' round by posting on here!

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hello and welcome enjoy the fun and games on here, and also starting to play again.
Sounds like your quickly getting rid of any rustyness!
Get those new shineys out of the box the minute they arrive get out and have some fun, you've had them custom fitted and were obviously pleased hitting them at the fitting so, onwards and downwards with those scores. :thup:

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hello there & welcome along , wow what an introduction ha , id be waiting for the new clubs & be straight out asap with them ..

best of luck with them and your golf ..

P.s one good point about the mrs not being up on golf is when ya slightly over spend on something , you get away with being slightly vague with the truth ha