An audience with Adele

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23840744

A bit old, but according to this 13%, so on the £8 CD quoted £1.04, or £1,004 total. Certainly better than streaming.

Again, just playing devils advocate here a but but that is a £1004 fixed payment. With streaming, you get paid evey time that person listens to the album or song so it could be that those 1000 listening to an album a great deal could generate more income than the CD.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Again, just playing devils advocate here a but but that is a £1004 fixed payment. With streaming, you get paid evey time that person listens to the album or song so it could be that those 1000 listening to an album a great deal could generate more income than the CD.

Indeed; just a mere 330,000 streams will give the artist $1,442.10 which is about the same... :rolleyes:

Edit; should have added that was on Spotify, others may vary.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Indeed; just a mere 330,000 streams will give the artist $1,442.10 which is about the same... :rolleyes:

Edit; should have added that was on Spotify, others may vary.

Based on a global market, that is really not that much. Not sure if you know if that figure is per stream of a song or the whole album (just for the record, I have no idea).

D

Deleted member 15344

https://www.forbes.com/profile/daniel-ek/

That'll be Daniel Ek, founder of Spotify, net worth US$4.2 billion.

Sorry if it’s a stupid question but if there nothing the artist can do to stop it being used by the streaming sites ?

I can see the point being made but to make up the same level of funds from selling say 1000 albums would mean it being streamed 300k times ?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Have I missed something?

Out of those 4 links you posted, how much of that did you know already, I would suggest very little if any of it.
I'm sure you could probably find more if you dug deeper, but that's the point.

Individuals doing their bit behind the scenes is great but when people get together and combine their wealth, great things can be achieved and the more people know about it the better, especially if it's coming from their own pockets.

Imagine if all the players from Man U and City got together and did something big that got on the news, how do you think the players from Liverpool would feel. Or Glasgow. Or Newcastle? You'd have players/teams using their huge combined wealth to do good for all to see.
And if Joe Public sees their stars helping the community it might even help at the turn styles.

It might even help heal a few rifts between teams.

I even gave an example of Lewis putting in £20m of his own money, imagine if everybody else on the grid chipped £5m each, then we're talking considerable amounts (£115m)
And as I said they would gain the publics respect, rather than just buying another house/car/yacht/plane.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sorry if it’s a stupid question but if there nothing the artist can do to stop it being used by the streaming sites ?

I can see the point being made but to make up the same level of funds from selling say 1000 albums would mean it being streamed 300k times ?

Record companies and artists sign up to it. AC/DC and the Beatles kept their music off streaming for years.

300000 is not that much in the grand scheme of things. Again, totally guessing but it is not a massive stretch to imagince that for every 1000 who were fans enough to buy the CD, a new release album would appear in suggested playlists for 300000 people and be streamed. it does seem a bit like comparing apples and oranges. For example, when I have people round, I offer them the chance to put on whatever they want on the alexa in the bar. There were 3 or 4 groups on Saturday night alone who would have got money off me through streaming that I would never have spent on their CD. Times that up by the level of access to streaming and it is far more viable.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
The top artist on Spotify are into tens of billions of streams. The payment structure is designed around that. If artists don’t like it, take their music off streaming services.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Based on a global market, that is really not that much. Not sure if you know if that figure is per stream of a song or the whole album (just for the record, I have no idea).

Re the bold, neither do I.

As regards the streams argument, 1,000 CD sales is particularly low.

Dire Straits, Brothers in Arms; 30 million copies sold
Fleetwood Mac, Rumours; 40 million copies sold by 2017
Michael Jackson, Thriller; 70 million copies.

Not sure I've got enough fingers to work out how many streams that is...

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well I still cant stand her. Would rather listen to Alanis Morissette, or Pink Floyd....or The Aussie Pink Floyd (who live are so damned good even Dave Gilmour rates them).

D

Deleted member 15344

Finally managed to get tickets to a tour, and going in August at Wembley. Been the one band I have been wanting to see for years!

They are brilliant - great show , the O2 was the best place we saw them.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'll go 2 for the price of one here. Adele, I'm bored of her now. She was fresh at first but I feel she could churn her latest stuff out in her sleep. I can't be doing with the whiney, poor me thing either. I mean, seriously? The Coldplay analogy earlier in the thread summed her up nicely. Saying all that, she is worth millions and will be richer still by this time next year so what does she care?

Streaming. I would buy 1 album a year at a stretch, frequently not even that. Now I have a phone full of music, artists on there I would never have bought an album from but as I have a subscription, family one, then I have a dabble. There must be millions out there like that and that adds up to more than we paid for albums previously. Some you win etc.......

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Spotify have changed their policy at her demand so that the default for any album (not just hers - ALL albums) is no longer ‘shuffle’. The power of the top artiste - more power to her elbow. See also Taylor Swift re-recording her first six albums so that she gets the revenue rather some investment fund.
I always suspected you were a bit of Shugie shuffler :p

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Years ago when my band played the odd large venue, we were asked to give a list of songs we played, along with the artists names , for Royalty purposes.
Seemingly the venue paid so much to the performing rights society .

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'll go 2 for the price of one here. Adele, I'm bored of her now. She was fresh at first but I feel she could churn her latest stuff out in her sleep. I can't be doing with the whiney, poor me thing either. I mean, seriously? The Coldplay analogy earlier in the thread summed her up nicely. Saying all that, she is worth millions and will be richer still by this time next year so what does she care?

Streaming. I would buy 1 album a year at a stretch, frequently not even that. Now I have a phone full of music, artists on there I would never have bought an album from but as I have a subscription, family one, then I have a dabble. There must be millions out there like that and that adds up to more than we paid for albums previously. Some you win etc.......

I haven't bought music in years

I gave up with the music on my phone

Amazon music via my prime account .. just listen in the car

Otherwise it's just the radio

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I always buy the CD, rip it to the PC to put on a USB stick in the car or play via the PC when working. Occaisionally I might even stick the CD on the Stereogram:)
My whole CD collection is on USB stciks that I can play in the car:)

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well I still cant stand her. Would rather listen to Alanis Morissette, or Pink Floyd....or The Aussie Pink Floyd (who live are so damned good even Dave Gilmour rates them).

Re Aussie Pink Floyd, have to agree, they are fantastic! Saw them at The Brighton Centre in 2017 I think. They must be good, my brother Rlburnside flew down from the Shetlands just to see them and that was after seeing them a few weeks earlier!