An attack of the shanks..................aaaggghhh!

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
This is another bunker related post I'm afraid.
I'm off on a golfing jaunt in a week's time and was getting in a bit of practice today.
This included a bit of time practicing sand shots.................O M G.
Around 50% of my sand shots were shanks, and most stayed in the trap. I was playing the shots with the face slightly open, centre stance, weight to the left and hands slightly forward, and I couldn't stop shanking.
I alternated between my 55º SW and my 60º LW and it made no difference.
Ant thoughts?

Slime.

P.S. The sand was heavy, wet & compacted despite much vigorous raking.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
For me at least, if I don't have the ball near the front of my stance I'm prone to hitting them sideways.

Don't forget that opening your stance moves the ball back in your stance, so you have to move it even further forward and it will feel like the ball is almost outside your left foot.

Also swing along your foot line, not target line.

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
This is another bunker related post I'm afraid.
I'm off on a golfing jaunt in a week's time and was getting in a bit of practice today.
This included a bit of time practicing sand shots.................O M G.
Around 50% of my sand shots were shanks, and most stayed in the trap. I was playing the shots with the face slightly open, centre stance, weight to the left and hands slightly forward, and I couldn't stop shanking.
Ant thoughts?

Slime.

P.S. The sand was heavy, wet & compacted despite much vigorous raking.

Slime,
This may work for you..
I also struggled in bunkers until a few weeks ago i spent 3 hours practicing to get out of them....
I find that if i dont open the face of my SW and just let the clubs bounce do its job the ball pops out on a cushion nice and soft.
Hinge the wrists a little earlier in the backswing and keep more weight on your front foot.Keep your lower half pretty quite.
Oh and weaken your grip also.

Not saying it will work for you but not opening the face done wonders for me.;)

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If you open the clubface and your stance then you must swing down your toe line. If you swing straight at the pin you will hit with an open face and this will create the (I cant even say the real word) Armatige, Sherman, Jodrall, Socket Rocket, Lamb. I think you know the word :eek:oo:

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I was playing the shots with the face slightly open, centre stance, weight to the left and hands slightly forward, and I couldn't stop shanking.

You can't play a draw out of a greenside bunker... it's a cut shot..... and you can fat it too... hard!
Try and make some space between your hands and thighs at address... stand further from the ball if necessary, that will give you some space to swing your hands back into on your downswing... swing the club slightly away from you on the backswing and in towards your left kneecap on the downswing.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I was playing the shots with the face slightly open, centre stance, weight to the left and hands slightly forward, and I couldn't stop shanking.

Face open is fine the rest I would say no.
Ball forward, weight central, hands central

By moving the ball back, your weight forward, your hands forward and the clubface open I'm not surprised you shank it

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks to all of you for your advice.
Back to the practice ground next week, only a few days left to get it sorted !
But get it sorted I will.

Slime.