Amusing Moments on the Golf Course

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The site of Rick Shiels hitting a tree off the tee at H4H at Camberley and ending up playing his next miles behind the tee was pretty funny. I know Peter Finch was filming it and you can here the whole group absolutely crying their eyes out with laughter and Rick's bemused face was a picture

Total Golf Pro

Banned
Visit site
Seeing a golf club take flight, especially when it decides to nestle itself high up in a tree. My mates club slipped right out of his hands and soared majestically - not the ball, mind you, but the club! It ended a good 20 feet off the ground in a sturdy oak. He had to get the greenkeeper and his ladder to rescue the club.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
One of my PP's lost his club on our 17th in the rain recently. Hit the ball, decently towards the green on the par 3 but all we heard was "oh damn" or a stronger equivalent and we looked at him assuming he had hurt himself and none of us could see the problem until he turned round and walked towards the pond between the 17th tee and 16th as the club had majestically (apparently) arced out of his hands into the water. Fortunately with a bit of a struggle we were able to rescue it. None of us aside from the guy hitting saw it or anything amiss

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Pretty sure I've posted this one before but it's worth doing again..

Not on the course but at a range....at the NEC during a National Golf Show in the 90s ....over one of the lakes
The Taylormade Bubble Ti had just come out and it was one of the stars of the show
Long queues to try it so we waited until the TM Long driving team and Monty were doing a clinic at the other end of the range.
It was an uncovered range and a light drizzle had begun...
I was hitting away and my mate Andy was in the next bay doing the same..
All of a sudden there was an expletive and the sight of a 400 quid driver performing somersaults before splashing into the lake....
Everyone in the stands watching the clinic, the LD team and Monty all looked round to see Andy standing there looking very alarmed.....they couldn't see me as I was dying on the floor...
Andy wandered over to the TM guy and explained.....he said to not worry as it was the 5th one to go swimming that weekend....
They got a diver to fish them out at the end....

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I was playing at Lyme Regis in a club match. The 18th is a driveable par 4 protected by bunkers. The clubhouse is behind the green over the putting green with a patio in front of some large glass windows. I hit the ball into a bunker just short of the green and thinned the bunker shot over the patio scattering the players waiting for the match to finish. Ball rebounded off the patio windows into play and I was able to get up and down to win the match.

I apologised profusely to my opponent and their skipper who was very magnanimous say it happened all the time.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Not on the course but at a range....at the NEC during a National Golf Show in the 90s ....over one of the lakes
The Taylormade Bubble Ti had just come out and it was one of the stars of the show
Long queues to try it so we waited until the TM Long driving team and Monty were doing a clinic at the other end of the range.
All of a sudden there was an expletive and the sight of a 400 quid driver performing somersaults before splashing into the lake....
Everyone in the stands watching the clinic, the LD team and Monty all looked round to see Andy standing there looking very alarmed.....they couldn't see me as I was dying on the floor...
Andy wandered over to the TM guy and explained.....he said to not worry as it was the 5th one to go swimming that weekend....
Had a similar one at Mere GC.
You hit balls into the lake .
my mates driver head ( white TM) snapped off the shaft, sailed into the lake.
Because it still had the adapter on it was floating.
Greenkeeper had a rowing boat and got it for him.
we were pissing ourselves.
Hes still nervous hitting over water.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
The site of Rick Shiels hitting a tree off the tee at H4H at Camberley and ending up playing his next miles behind the tee was pretty funny. I know Peter Finch was filming it and you can here the whole group absolutely crying their eyes out with laughter and Rick's bemused face was a picture

Surely mine was better

chico

Club Champion
Visit site
I was playing in a society outing and put my ball in quite a fast running burn. As I was leaning over to try and fish it out my glasses fell off into the burn. As I couldn't see a thing after that I'm shouting over to my pp to come and help.
He laughed that long but eventually got them out about 15 foot down stream.

Singlefiguregokfer

Visit site

This reminds me of when our Pro got the first TM bubble driver in stock.
He let one of the lads take it out for 9 holes. It came back with a hole in the top where he’d accidentally stood on it with his spiked shoe.
It whistled beautifully when swung after that.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Yeah it was a good day, was hard to get a word in really.

Have always thought Pete is the better golfer, his eagle on 16 was very impressive.
From memory both had a hot spot and had back to back birdies. Peter's eagle was impressive as it needed a long putt. They didn't really give any tips but were good company as was Steve who acquitted himself better than I did on the day. I liked the way the day was capped with Rick getting a set of Dunlop Loco balls in the GM draw. For those that want to see the video of the day its here -
(WARNING - my swing is xxx rated)

sunshine

Visit site
Had a similar one at Mere GC.
You hit balls into the lake .
my mates driver head ( white TM) snapped off the shaft, sailed into the lake.
Because it still had the adapter on it was floating.
Greenkeeper had a rowing boat and got it for him.
we were pissing ourselves.
Hes still nervous hitting over water.

Sounds like a knock off club. Fake manufacturers make the shaft from plastic which can snap. A genuine graphite shaft is more likely to splinter.

Dingy

Visit site
About 40 years ago I played on my uncle's works outing at Girvan. Myself, my cousin and uncle were joined by a guy who had previously worked with my uncle's company but now worked at a distillery. He had a few bottles of whisky with him that he was dishing out to all the players as the round progressed and needless to say my uncle had more than was good for his game of golf. We came to a par 3 where you hit over a load of trees to a green at the bottom of a hill (17th I think) and my uncle let go of his club which went flying up into the top branches of the trees and stayed there. We tried throwing stones at it and managed to snag it worse, we watched my uncle try to shake the tree which was so big you couldn't get your arms around the trunk and then we had to dissuade him from attempting to climb the 30 or 40 feet up the tree to get his club and eventually had to leave it where it was. To make matters worse for my uncle we told the tale to the boys back at our bowling club and the guy who called the bingo put it into his bingo calling. " Up a tree,it's number 3, Harry Brown's golf club".

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I hit at putt last year at Farnham that definitely should have gone in and didn't the others were laughing (at me), I was not...

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I hit at putt last year at Farnham that definitely should have gone in and didn't the others were laughing (at me), I was not...
About five minutes previous we'd had a long chat about flag in/out and you were adamant that flag in was always better. Sod's law on the next green you hit a gentle downhill putt that bounces out off the stick. The timing was perfect. :LOL: Have you been flag out ever since??

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
About five minutes previous we'd had a long chat about flag in/out and you were adamant that flag in was always better. Sod's law on the next green you hit a gentle downhill putt that bounces out off the stick. The timing was perfect. :LOL: Have you been flag out ever since??

On anything makeable yes.

Stupid flags