Amir Kahn Knocked Out!

time_vans

Head Pro
Visit site
hopefully he wont suffer any permanent damage and should consider retiring gracefully. reminds me of bruno....wheeled in loads of bums to knock over then first time he steps in with a boxer with pedigree (james 'bonecrusher'smith) and bang glass chin syndrome.

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
agree entirely about warren being a fool to think it warranted being ppv, I paid for the Mayweather vs Hatton fight but was never going to pay for this. Khan has lightning quick hands but he does have the chin of a girl- he just can't take a punch and you can't train people to become solid in this respect, he may be able to improve but i can't see him getting to a level to enter a ring for a world title fight.

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
Thats exactly right Tim. The warning signs were already in place when he was put on the seat of his pants by journeyman part-time pro's in earlier bouts.

He may be fast, he may be super-fit and he may pack a decent(ish) punch but when you cant take a dig, you are going nowhere and punch-resistance in the head region is a thing of natural physicality, you either have it or you don't and khan doesn't, he is very, very poor in that department.

People were saying I was mad last night at the pub when I commented that Khan was going to get done over before the fight, they said I was talking bo!!ock$ and what do I know? Well I do know a little bit about the fight game and I was spot-on last night, the mockers looked like they were sucking sour plums when I was mugging it at them after the fight.

I cant see him coming back from this to be a great boxer and title contender, yes he will be able to pick-off hand picked has-beens and plodders but at a decent class, never.

obviously the speculated Hatton/Khan encounter cannot happen now, it would simply be a miss-match.

Maybe I am cynical but perhaps khan will get another bout against a big-name who is skint and prepared to take a bung to put on a show but lose. I wouldnt be surprised as FW has invested fortunes in Khan and to see it go all down the khazi will be a bitter pill.

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
Also predicted he would get knocked the **** out but didnt think it would be in the first round. Really dont think he will ever live up to the hype.

I know he has a younger brother who is better than him, so hopefully he will come through soon under the radar and rise through he ranks.

evita4

Head Pro
Visit site
Totally agree MWJ, I also got mocked by mates when I predicted this KO. Khan has always reminded me of another fighter who was good to watch, had a good punch but a glass jaw. Anyone remember Charlie Magri?

time_vans

Head Pro
Visit site
agree but the a - force (harrison) was a little bit cleverer than your average slugger, realised he could make a few bob without putting himself in harms way(anyone remember the 'gravy train' gaff) and who can blame him, the likes of warren get rich on the back of people like khan and harrison.

vig

Tour Winner
Visit site
I saw this coming also. If not in this fight then soon.
Must admit that I hadn't heard of his oppo, thought he was another of warrens picks.
He won't retire, Warren will see to this $$$$$$$$$

He may learn to defend better and lose a little arrogance but at the back of his mind will always be the crystal chin.
I saw a lot of similarities with Prince naseem.
In fairness to magri he did fight for world titles.

When you get to the heavyweight division, I don't care how good your chin is, get caught you go down!

Basher

Tour Winner
yorkshiregolf.proboards.com
Amir Khan learnt first hand that there's always someone out there harder than him.
He may be a skilfull boxer but that counts for nothing when his opponent puts him on his ar$e before he has the chance to use those skills.

A very steep learning curve.

Frank Warren, looks like he gambled and lost, big time! Who's gonna pay to see Khan contest his next fight against his more usual opponent (probably a no hoper)
Couldn't have happenend to a nicer guy. Warren is a parasitic snake who feeds off boxers. He's made vast amounts from staging events, makes sure he gets his face on the telly at every given opportunity. Personally I can't stand the smug faced crook!

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Any one else get fed up with over hyped boxers who ponce about with no guard and a glass chin. What is wrong with keeping your guard, and actually boxing. Particularly useful if you can't take a knock.

Fair play to the guy who won, a phenomenal number of knockouts (like Khan didn't know about his record), and about time someone stopped messing about with the dancing, and threw some descent punches.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Actually feel some sympathy for Khan. He can only fight the guy in the opposite corner and sadly the boxer has very little say in the way his career is managed. I think Khan has done great stuff for charity, as a role model etc but should have been allowed to develop as a pro with more sensibly formed matches against boxers who would allow him to develop his ringcraft particularly his defence.

I'm a bit surprised Khans dad and family allowed the fight. I thought they were taking a hold of some of his business interests (unless I'm way out of touch) and as such should have heard the alarm bells ringing.

Not sure Warren is an out an out villain in this but merely the same as most big time promoters (Don King et al) in wanting to cash in as early as possible on any new kid (think Hamed). As soon as the bubble bursts it is off to the next payday.

I think the best thing Khan can do if he continues is to bide his time. Fight for the UK or Commonwealth belts again and learn to defend. Keep a low profile and climb the rankings and don't get pushed into taking any more fights to satisfy PPV greed.

vig

Tour Winner
Visit site
HJS, do you honestly think he will keep a low profile.
He, and Warren need to feed their ego's.
I agree with what was said previously. Warren is a parasite like most promotors.
Seem to remember him nearly getting bumped off a few years ago. Something connected with Terry Marsh I believe.

Khan will have a few confidence boosters before engaging a number of hand picked oppo's who can't punch, his ego will grow and grow and then....... he will end up on his ar$e again.
Boxing is about hitting and not getting hit and unless he learns to cover up he is in trouble.
Showboaters get caught eventually and the fall is so much harder when it happens.

time_vans

Head Pro
Visit site
terry marsh was tried but aquitted of the attempted murder of frank warren. considering how accurate marsh was i doubt he would have missed ! only quit because of epilesy.....good boxer.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Glad Kahn was put in his place. I new he would be knocked out when he fought someone half decent. Didnt watch the fight, Kahn doesn't interest me in the slightest. Anyone else see the advert where he was on the speedball whilst some voice over read out his and prescott's records then said one of them has to loose the unbeaten rcord, Kahn turns to cam and says 'well its not gonna be me' I laughed when I seen that and thought, you will be eating your words.

As for dropping the Guard, I dont understand how boxers get away with it, the rules of boxing state you must protect your self at all times, Naseem used to take the p**s, he never had a guard.

vig

Tour Winner
Visit site
terry marsh was tried but aquitted of the attempted murder of frank warren. considering how accurate marsh was i doubt he would have missed ! only quit because of epilesy.....good boxer.

Wasn't implying Marsh did it, just that his name was strongly connected. He went through the due process and as you rightly put, was cleared.

And yes he was a good boxer with a big heart so not connecting him with Khan either :eek: