American Golf - credit where its due!

njrose51

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
So I went down to Brighton American Golf today to try the Ping G400, Titlelist and Ben Ross drivers. All very good, but Ping was coming out in terms of feel and distance.

All was going well, then I lost the swing completley and could not stop coming over the top sending everything high and right.

But I have to give the salesperson massive credit. he tried to sort it out but couldn't and then I was loosing confidence in my swing. So he advised not to buy a driver until I was 100% confident with the swing. So thats what I'll do. I know AG tend to get a bit of stick but he was really helpful.

I'll certainly go back when feel ready.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So I went down to Brighton American Golf today to try the Ping G400, Titlelist and Ben Ross drivers. All very good, but Ping was coming out in terms of feel and distance.

All was going well, then I lost the swing completley and could not stop coming over the top sending everything high and right.

But I have to give the salesperson massive credit. he tried to sort it out but couldn't and then I was loosing confidence in my swing. So he advised not to buy a driver until I was 100% confident with the swing. So thats what I'll do. I know AG tend to get a bit of stick but he was really helpful.

I’ve had this twice with Ag

Once I was trying drivers and none were working the guy said best to come back after some lessons on my current driver rather than waste cash

Same when I fit my clubs atm he said my current were fine and showed the yards between

Only changed cuz I fancied it

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

What price were the Benross drivers? do you think the Ping G400 is worth the extra money compared to the Benross?

Good to hear the advice you got from AG.

njrose51

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
What price were the Benross drivers? do you think the Ping G400 is worth the extra money compared to the Benross?

I think the Ben Ross was £150 ish. the dispersion was slightly better with the BR but it was certainly shorter than the Ping. Also, the feel on impact on the Ping was far nicer, it felt better when swinging as well. I think there is also something to be said about the confidence in the club. at the beginning, I felt more confidence with the Ping and the Titlelist as i knew there was a bit of technology helping me. But in truth, there was not a huge amount, but the Ping is the better club. I have vouchers, B day money and trade in so for me, if i went for the Ping, id get it at a good price. Not knocking the BR at all though.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

I think the Ben Ross was £150 ish. the dispersion was slightly better with the BR but it was certainly shorter than the Ping. Also, the feel on impact on the Ping was far nicer, it felt better when swinging as well. I think there is also something to be said about the confidence in the club. at the beginning, I felt more confidence with the Ping and the Titlelist as i knew there was a bit of technology helping me. But in truth, there was not a huge amount, but the Ping is the better club. I have vouchers, B day money and trade in so for me, if i went for the Ping, id get it at a good price. Not knocking the BR at all though.

Interesting to hear your comments reagarding the Ping and Benross, I was using the Benross HTX driver don't know if that was the same model you was trying, both clubs to me are good and I've had 3 rounds with the Ping and I would say it's slightly longer on average, and for me the dispersion was also better with the Benross, the best hits with both clubs are the same distance.

Having confidence with a club is a big consideration and you have to go for what you feel is best for you, I like the feel and sound of both clubs and have confidence with both, it's just I'm still not sure if it was worth buying the Ping which cost me £150 more than the Benross.

njrose51

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I was actually sitting at home stewing about how badly I swung at AG. So popped to my local driving range, which is also an AG. Took a ping and BR and spent an hour with them. Ping is by far a better club to hit and I noticed I was also aiming better thanks the alignment stuff on the top. Personal preference I know but ping for me

Sidsidgwick

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Got to say I’m rather lucky, the staff at my two local shops are excellent and have been more than helpful when I’ve been perusing the clubs they have on offer.

They have been attentive without being pushy and have helped me with swing tips etc when trying clubs.

Top quality customer service from them in the North East

connor

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I've had a similar experience in Plymouth. Went to try new irons and was swinging ok and going well then changed like a complete idiot. The chap said he wouldn't sell me irons as I just wasn't swinging right.
I think from certain members here they get a lot of bad press and have been tarred with the same brush.
Personally I've always enjoyed my experiences with AG and no doubt will there again in January with my xmas and birthday vouchers I get from the family.

big_matt

Assistant Pro
Visit site
There are no drivers that go further than others these days. All things being equal (shaft, length, swing) they are all maxed out for distance and have been for years.

Thats not to say you shouldnt buy the new ping if you like the look of it and have the money, but it doesnt go 'further' than titleist etc unless you are comparing a middled strike with one off the toe etc.

Mark crossfield just released a video today saying top 5 driver videos are pointless because there is essentially no such thing anymore.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I like to hear these kinds of customer service stories

In my experience AG varies a lot from store to store (I don't use one local store as they are far too pushy) and also varies depending who serves you in store

A month or so ago I was putting next to a chap who was booked in for a putter fiitting

He was willing to spend £00's

Instead, whilst assessing his current putting the AG pro helped him with his technique rather than pushing a sale

The guy went away happy and I'm sure will be a regular customer

I certainly would trust this particular AG store and it's fitter and would always go there instead of the aforementioned pushy store

Long story short - there's good & bad stores and good and bad staff

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I was actually sitting at home stewing about how badly I swung at AG. So popped to my local driving range, which is also an AG. Took a ping and BR and spent an hour with them. Ping is by far a better club to hit and I noticed I was also aiming better thanks the alignment stuff on the top. Personal preference I know but ping for me

Sounds like the Ping's the club for you - enjoy 👍👍

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
My local AG just varies according to the staff they get,they have had really good people at times and really poor at other visits, but no one seems to stay very long.