American Golf (Basingstoke) Fairway woods fitting

Bash

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I was over the moon to be picked out of the hat for this competition, but have admit I was somewhat nervous at going for a fitting for a club that I was having so many problems with. I knew I was going to have to hit numerous balls (poorly) in front of others (and I have to say, I probably didn't disappoint them in that respect!!).
Until summer of last year, the longest club I could hit off the fairway was a six iron. Since then, I have persevered with a couple of rescue clubs (ping i15 23 and 20 degree) and a couple of very old woods (wilson Fybrid 5 wood and a square Nike sasquash 3 wood). My 23 degree has been coming on quite well, but with the longer clubs I was getting hardly any loft and a terrible slice. I knew that anew fairway wood on its own wouldn't solve these problems.
Dan at AG had me hitting a number of shots with my own 3 wood and explaining the results given by Trackman. I was amazed by the figures given by trackman, particularly my slow swing speed which was 72 to 76 mph (Homer and Hawkeye will understand what I mean as I put a lot of 'energy' into my swing.
Dam explained the swing itself was pretty good but that my stance was much too upright, causing the low launch angles (most of which were 7 or 8 degrees). He gave me a quick lesson to improve this area and my swing speeds immediately went up to 84 to 87 mph and the launch angle up to 12 degrees.
I then looked at a few 3 woods (a Nicklaus, an RBZ and an R11s). I much preferred the look of the R11s at address. Although very similar to the RBZ, when stood over the ball, more of the clubface was visible on the R11s, giving the appearance of being more lofted (which just gave me more confidence). I hit a number of balls with the R11s and the swing speeds were still 84 to 88 mph but my launch angle was consistently around 14 to 16 degrees and my carry was more than 20 yards longer than the best I'd achieved with my old Nike. Dan explained that the regular shaft suited my swing speed and went through the spin rate, although he explained it was not of any concern as they were all around the 2500rpm mark.
Even though I've a lot of work to do on my swing (stance and driving right through the ball), the club has already shown a vast improvement over my old one. I can't wait to get out there practicing with this club (as compared to just leaving the old 3 wood in my bag before)
Once again, thanks to All at Golf Monthly for this chance and particularly to Dan from AG for his advice
(Sorry for the long thread to all you forumers who are still awake)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
You kept that quiet matey. Be interesting to see you put that into action at the weekend then. Good write up and interesting what they showed for your figures. I thought your swing speed was slower than that. People have smoked a fag time yo've gone back and through. No mention of your little soft shoe shuffle after every shot either. Glad you got something you think will work. I'll make sure "the claw" know in time for Sunday