Altering golf clubs

Visit site
Hi guys,

I am currently playing with my dad's old clubs. The thing is I'm 5ft 3 and he's a bit taller so they don't fit me perfectly. When I saw a coach he said that a custom set would help me.

So, can you adjust clubs to make them suit you, like bending them to get the right angle. I know you can shorten clubs but I'm sure the club head would have to be adjusted as well. I saw a youtube video where they did this.

Any advice on this would be great. They're nice irons, and the driver is good too. I can't really afford to fork out for a new set of clubs.

Cheers,

James

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Depends on what the head is made of ie is it a hard cast head, soft cast head or forged.

It is worth weighing up the costs and comparing against a suitable second hand set if new is out of the question.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi guys,

I am currently playing with my dad's old clubs. The thing is I'm 5ft 3 and he's a bit taller so they don't fit me perfectly. When I saw a coach he said that a custom set would help me.

So, can you adjust clubs to make them suit you, like bending them to get the right angle. I know you can shorten clubs but I'm sure the club head would have to be adjusted as well. I saw a youtube video where they did this.

Any advice on this would be great. They're nice irons, and the driver is good too. I can't really afford to fork out for a new set of clubs.

Cheers,

James

you can def get the shafts cut & regripped to suit a shorter player.

Obviously chamging lie & lofts becomes a bit more technical (assuming it’s possible) and may require a launch monitor.

You can do the feasibility on the finances of that with your local golf shop, but prob not going to get change from £100, possibly a good bit more.

Then there’s the ‘a custom set could help you’. Obviously it could, but that’s anything from £500 to £1000+.

Personally if you don’t think the clubs are right for you, sell them & try to source a set second hand that you are happy with.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
No need to pay £500+ for a custom fitting and clubs. Ben Ross for example do a very well reviewed set with fitting and no additional costs for any changes needed for around £300. I did exactly that £269 for 5-PW 1/2" shorter 2 degrees flat.

Decent clubs and free fitting options are out there you just need to do the research.

Visit site
Thanks both, plenty of food for thought there. I did once shoot 21 over at a local course and I wasn't playing much at the time. To be fair I can hit the clubs ok, but the golf coach told me that it's easier if the clubs are fitted to suit you.

My dad is getting a new set of ping clubs. Therefore he'll have 2 spare sets, one of which I'm currently using. I'm not sure if they're forged or cast to be honest and I can't find a place that would bend the clubs.

Maybe, I could sell most of his old clubs and then with the money get a new custom fitted set. I could end up with a mix of his old clubs and new custom fitted clubs. I reckon I could keep the old pitching wedge and sand wedge, or a new putter.

I don't know where I'd get a second hand set that might fit, maybe a local golf pro shop in a club. Thanks

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Yes you can shorten the clubs and bend lofts/lie angles (to a certain extent which depends on the construction of the head, individual clubs and the skill of the person doing it). If you get them shortened that would affect the swingweight (which can be compensated for with lead tape or tip weights for example).

Best thing to do is to see an independent club fitter that knows what they are doing and won't just try and sell you new gear.

Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Pings can be altered by any competent pro or they can be sent back to Ping for alteration. It is just a question of how much you want pay.

The other question is when you say your dad's clubs what sort of age are you and are you still growing and therefore how long are they going to suit you?

Visit site
Pings can be altered by any competent pro or they can be sent back to Ping for alteration. It is just a question of how much you want pay.

The other question is when you say your dad's clubs what sort of age are you and are you still growing and therefore how long are they going to suit you?

I'm 33. That's good to hear Ping clubs can be altered.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Ping with the exception of the Anser model of irons are all cast and so there will be a limit to what they can do even if you send back to Ping HQ. I would go get a static fit, find your Ping colour and compare to what the colour is now and it'll give you a clearer understanding of if its feasible. You can go down the custom fit route and many places will do the fit, give you the numbers for you to take away. If you do that, you could look at the second hand market and see what's out there