Alterations to WHS?

Swango1980

Visit site
All this stuff has been very well communicated to clubs and handicap committees, along with seminars and workshops for them to attend.
That wasn't the impression I was getting from some people on this forum. D-S post that followed seems to indicate the gist of what I was getting from some people.

wjemather

Visit site
The first seminar for clubs to attend in my neck of the woods is on February 14th. A lot of clubs, who have watched the webinar back in December, which didn’t have a q&a session, are waiting until they have attended the seminar before making any signage changes, communications to members, ISV queries etc.
Unfortunately the local seminar is full and it will serve an area with about 150 clubs with some clubs sending 4 delegates and there will only be about 100 places. My guess is that less than 50% of clubs will have representatives there especially as it is at 1pm so working committee members will struggle.
Our County is laying on a supplementary evening q&a session via zoom but this can only be done after the seminar as we know that some new info (e.g. the 4BB allowance calculation) wasn’t mentioned until the first seminar.
The North East one isn’t until 29th February so that is very tight for committee members, if they can get in.
It is a bit strange considering that last year with very little to announce, Counties were told to host at least 2 seminars on WHS updates following on from County Secretary and Handicap Advisor specific training days (something that hasn’t happened this year).
There really is no reason for clubs to be delaying comms/education until after the workshops. Our local seminar is the same as yours, and we begun comms to members before Christmas.
Our county will also be communicating directly with member clubs to ensure those who miss workshops have the information they need.

wjemather

Visit site
That wasn't the impression I was getting from some people on this forum. D-S post that followed seems to indicate the gist of what I was getting from some people.
Some impressions may be clouded by preconceived ideas about the national unions and impatience to have information ahead of time.

Swango1980

Visit site
The first seminar for clubs to attend in my neck of the woods is on February 14th. A lot of clubs, who have watched the webinar back in December, which didn’t have a q&a session, are waiting until they have attended the seminar before making any signage changes, communications to members, ISV queries etc.
Unfortunately the local seminar is full and it will serve an area with about 150 clubs with some clubs sending 4 delegates and there will only be about 100 places. My guess is that less than 50% of clubs will have representatives there especially as it is at 1pm so working committee members will struggle.
Our County is laying on a supplementary evening q&a session via zoom but this can only be done after the seminar as we know that some new info (e.g. the 4BB allowance calculation) wasn’t mentioned until the first seminar.
The North East one isn’t until 29th February so that is very tight for committee members, if they can get in.
It is a bit strange considering that last year with very little to announce, Counties were told to host at least 2 seminars on WHS updates following on from County Secretary and Handicap Advisor specific training days (something that hasn’t happened this year).
By sounds of it, your club is being irresponsible for delaying communication to members until after the seminars.

Conversely, the Authorities really have no need to communicate the information to Clubs via the seminars until the very last minute. Certainly not irresponsible on their part.

wjemather

Visit site
#862 "There really is no reason for clubs to be delaying comms/education until after the workshops."
#863 "and impatience to have information ahead of time".

🤷‍♂️

I think it's time to 'unwatch' this thread.......

Zyzzyva
Taking statements out of context is misleading and not helpful.

Clubs have all they need to begin comms, which at this point only needs to be in the order of "changes are coming, these are the headlines, detail to follow". Bombarding members with the detail of each change all at once would be hugely counterproductive, especially given the new Rules of Handicapping for GB&I are yet to be published (because changes are still being made). Of course, that won't stop some people wanting to know it all yesterday.

Last edited:

D-S

Visit site
By sounds of it, your club is being irresponsible for delaying communication to members until after the seminars.

Conversely, the Authorities really have no need to communicate the information to Clubs via the seminars until the very last minute. Certainly not irresponsible on their part.
I think part of the reluctance to communicate earlier was firstly that we were promised comms material from EG that they could send or adapt for their members and also they were waiting for the seminars so they would be able to answer the questions that members would ask just as they were going to ask in the seminars.
In hindsight this doesn’t seem to be a bad idea as changes are still happening, communicated or not.

wjemather

Visit site
Committees should surely have sufficient understanding to begin disseminating accurate information re the changes? - Scottish Golf published a comprehensive article nearly 4 months ago on 4th Nov last year:
https://www.scottishgolf.org/news-detail?newsarticleid=2114 - perhaps a shame England Golf have dragged their feet somewhat!
Committees have more than enough info to get started.
EG haven't dragged their feet - information was published on their website and sent out to clubs via email on 1st November.

IanMcC

Visit site
I think its still a bit early to roll out the changes to all members. Its over 2 months until the changes take place. I sent them the gist of the changes, and a copy of the Wales Golf document before Christmas. Anyone with a more than passing interest will be as wise as all of us now. I am waiting until after the Wales Golf online Seminar, and also until after the publication of the new Rules of Handicapping book in the UK before I send out conversion charts and 4BBB information etc.

tobybarker

Visit site
Honestly i can not see many upsides at ours of giving people early info ...what are they going to do with the fact that they're handicaps are going down by 2 on 1st April? Just complain.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Honestly i can not see many upsides at ours of giving people early info ...what are they going to do with the fact that they're handicaps are going down by 2 on 1st April? Just complain.
Let them know now so that the moaning might subside a bit by 1st April.

Otherwise the moaning about it being an April Fool's bad joke will make the moaning worse.

Fore Right

Visit site
The WHS still seems like a nuclear physics equation to me.
I just shoot my best score and let the app tell me what that means the next day whether its good or bad news.

I am always aware when a good score is about to fall off the cliff though which I wish I didnt to be honest :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

IanMcC

Visit site
Had a quick look at the changes to the RoH. I can see some trouble ahead with Appendix C changes regarding 'Impact of field size on Handicap allowances'. It uses the word 'could' throughout. This would imply that the option would rest with the creator of the comp on the ISV software. Does anyone here know how the software will be set up? Could the M&H Secretary change the allowance after the comp has opened, if the field size is too small or too large? It looks like the type of software change that could well go awry, especially when there are no hard and fast rules as to when to change allowances.