Alteration of a club during a round.....

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
As far as I know, it is against the rules to alter the specification of a club during a round of golf.
I have stuck two weights onto the back of my putter head as I found it was too light for me.
What would happen if I found one of these weights had fallen off after I started my round with it?
Would it be deemed illegal due to it not being the same club I started with?

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you used it you would be disqualified just like Anthony Kim did last year.

Am afraid I have a different view. Provided the putter was legal when the round started, then a weight falling off would count as "damage during the normal course of play". Under Rule 4-3a you could repair it (stick the weight back on) or continue with it in the "damaged" state"

Cernunnos

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you used it you would be disqualified just like Anthony Kim did last year.

Am afraid I have a different view. Provided the putter was legal when the round started, then a weight falling off would count as "damage during the normal course of play". Under Rule 4-3a you could repair it (stick the weight back on) or continue with it in the "damaged" state"

Yes, agreed. However, if you knowingly played a shot knowing the weight was missing, without replacing it, would this not be construde as a penalty of playing with a damaged club, or that changed specs from that of which you started the round.