Allocating of a handicap ?

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
On Saturday a fairly new golfer spoke to me about the handicap he had been allocated at the start of the season. It was 11 after having handed in cards of two in the 90s and I think he said 86.

So far this season the best he's shot has been an 86, he then phoned the handicap sec saying that his h/cap was to high and he can't play to it. In return he was told that he can continue to hand in supplementary cards.

Now it's my understanding that an allocated new handicap is done so using a specific formula and NOT just a guess by the h/cap sec, so has this player been hard done by ??? cause I know when I handed my 3 cards in I got exactly what I thought I would as I worked it out using said formula.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
What's the formula?

Thought you had me on ignore :whoo:

Can't find it right now but along the lines of taking your lowest of 3 cards with highest hole score rounded down to net double, then it's all calculations etc, which I'm gonna try and find again. Though this was from late last season, things may have changed ??

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thought you had me on ignore :whoo:

Can't find it right now but along the lines of taking your lowest of 3 cards with highest hole score rounded down to net double, then it's all calculations etc, which I'm gonna try and find again. Though this was from late last season, things may have changed ??

Nothing's changed much - the principle remains but the details of the calc get tweaked occassionally.

Allocated 11 his best card will probably have been 12 over SSS adjusted for any large scores (basically converted to a stableford score!) or double par depending on when he did it.

The principle is currently that new allocations are expected to make progress in their game relatively quickly.

This is flawed where people have been playing years, especially at that club/course, before putting in their cards - they exist but are a tiny minority.

By the time a player has shown that the tweak wasn't applicable to them they will have gone up anyway (has been said from time to time) and if their round was a real freak then a few 0.1s and a AR will get them back on track in a relatively short time.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
On Saturday a fairly new golfer spoke to me about the handicap he had been allocated at the start of the season. It was 11 after having handed in cards of two in the 90s and I think he said 86.

So far this season the best he's shot has been an 86, he then phoned the handicap sec saying that his h/cap was to high and he can't play to it. In return he was told that he can continue to hand in supplementary cards.

Now it's my understanding that an allocated new handicap is done so using a specific formula and NOT just a guess by the h/cap sec, so has this player been hard done by ??? cause I know when I handed my 3 cards in I got exactly what I thought I would as I worked it out using said formula.

I assume he told the Handicap Secretary that his handicap was too low - not too high.

A best adjusted score of 13 over SSS would give a handicap of 11.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
He has had a discussion with the sec and all he's been told is put in sup. scores, I suggested he hands in 3 supps and then requests a review, there can't be anything much more demoralising than having a h/cap you've never played to.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Your handicap is supposed to be a reflection of your good days, not your average score.

Also - you say fairly new golfer... do you mean new to the club?
If he's half decent and knows about handicaps, he has played elsewhere?
Perhaps the secretary has taken into account previous handicaps.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Your handicap is supposed to be a reflection of your good days, not your average score.

Also - you say fairly new golfer... do you mean new to the club?
If he's half decent and knows about handicaps, he has played elsewhere?
Perhaps the secretary has taken into account previous handicaps.

New to golf, he knew nothing about css or sss or what any of it meant.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A newly handicapped player is given a handicap which reflects his potential rather than what he actually shot as a best score. Newly handicapped players are expected to improve rather than get worse.

The currently formula (without going to the manual) using the best card card is change any score of more than twice the par to twice the par., and give approximately 91% of the differential between the nett score and the SSS.