All things BBQ and Braai

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Got a pulled pork planned this weekend, just a cheap shoulder from Morissons but I have a home made rub to use along with some Killer Hogs Vinegar Sauce I've finally managed to get hold of.
Going for 250f, no wood smoke, no wrap, just going to mop every couple of hours and let her power through the stall ?

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Pretty pleased with my 1st effort and hugely impressed with the AK. Got the temp dialed into 180*C and it was rock solid for an hour and half then upped it to 210*C to brown off the spuds.
Chicken was so moist with a lovely crisp skin. As you said I couldn’t taste the beer (or cider in this case) but it does add juiciness to the meat.
Next week I’m gonna try pulled pork if I can get a nice bit.
View attachment 36862View attachment 36863

Edit: sorry about the photos, I can’t be arsed to fiddle around with them to make them upright.

That looks really good!

My personal opinion though is that the best way to cook a chicken on a Kamado is spatchcock over direct heat. Bone side down, then when it is a bit below the temp you want, flip it to crisp up the skin.

Exceptional.

The downside of beer can chicken, as cool as it looks, is that the can actually cools the chicken down so you don't cook it evenly. Means you have to over cook the outside to get the inside to the temp you want.

But with all these things, it's personal taste in the end, and I'm sure plenty prefer beercan chicken to spatchcock.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Having a braai tomorrow. Bought 2 beef ribs cut to about and inch and a half thick each. Made a chimichurri this afternoon so it's had some maturation time ready for tomorrow evening.

Fridge is full of beer and the weather is okay....ish

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Took it off at about 8.30 ?

So just the 8 hours then??

Think those Morrison shoulders have a real high fat content, I unrolled one before and was shocked! The fat starts to melt then congeals stalling the cook massively. Would always wrap.
ive got some Beef short ribs for next weekend weather permitting I was going to try that Asian recipe you posted a few weeks ago. ?

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
So just the 8 hours then??

Think those Morrison shoulders have a real high fat content, I unrolled one before and was shocked! The fat starts to melt then congeals stalling the cook massively. Would always wrap.
ive got some Beef short ribs for next weekend weather permitting I was going to try that Asian recipe you posted a few weeks ago. ?

10 hours ?
Yeah I had to trim a lot of fat off, it was worth the effort though. I usually wrap when it hits around 165f but I wanted to go the distance unwrapped this time.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Anyone attempting anything today? I’ve got a Texas Rubbed brisket in the AK. Trying to keep the temperature at 150c but it keeps climbing at the moment…. Never done one before but I’m hoping it will be ready before kick off! ?

(If I can’t get control of the temperature then it’s gonna be ready in about 2 hours)?

D

Deleted member 16999

Playing Golf this afternoon so made pizza dough and homemade topping last night.

Put the Pizza’s together when I get in and eat before the match, they cook in 5 minutes.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Anyone attempting anything today? I’ve got a Texas Rubbed brisket in the AK. Trying to keep the temperature at 150c but it keeps climbing at the moment…. Never done one before but I’m hoping it will be ready before kick off! ?

(If I can’t get control of the temperature then it’s gonna be ready in about 2 hours)?

Brisket will be ready I imagine, it doesn't take the pash like pork shoulder does :LOL: If you're worried it won't be ready you can wrap it in silver foil with a little liquid inside (butchers paper is better) once it hits around 165f internal temp, it will help the meat get through the stall.
Make sure when it's cooked to wrap it in some towels and keep it in a cool box to rest for an hour or two (y)

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Brisket will be ready I imagine, it doesn't take the pash like pork shoulder does :LOL: If you're worried it won't be ready you can wrap it in silver foil with a little liquid inside (butchers paper is better) once it hits around 165f internal temp, it will help the meat get through the stall.
Make sure when it's cooked to wrap it in some towels and keep it in a cool box to rest for an hour or two (y)

My “plan” is to cook it until it has an internal of 70c then wrap it for a couple of hours until it’s at 94c and probes like butter (as they say!) then unwrap it for 10 minutes so it don’t keep cooking on then re-wrap it in the foil and towels for an hour or so depending on what time it is.

D

Deleted member 16999

Nice one? I will have to try pizzas one day. My Brisket was lovely, but a bit massive! Going to be eating it all week! ?
Got a very easy guide and ingredients list for making your own dough, game changer, never done it before I got the AK.

Suggested a joint, but wife had no interest monitoring it while I was at the Club.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: