All things BBQ and Braai

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Going to have a crack at one tomorrow, and try to do some rosemary and garlic roasted new potatoes too. What sort of beer did you use, a lager or an ale? I was thinking of using a citra hopped ipa.

Just been playing with the AK today, done some burgers, sausages and pork belly which all came out fine but not very adventurous. ?

Just Budweiser as that's what the missus bought me for the weekend. I'm not really convinced the beer can be tasted in the chicken but it certainly looks impressive while it's cooking ?
Start small, aim big mate, there's loads of great books and Facebook groups out there to learn from. I've got some beef short ribs defrosted for tomorrow, going to do them with an Asian twist I found on the internet, photos will definitely be taken this time ?

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Just Budweiser as that's what the missus bought me for the weekend. I'm not really convinced the beer can be tasted in the chicken but it certainly looks impressive while it's cooking ?
Start small, aim big mate, there's loads of great books and Facebook groups out there to learn from. I've got some beef short ribs defrosted for tomorrow, going to do them with an Asian twist I found on the internet, photos will definitely be taken this time ?

Pretty pleased with my 1st effort and hugely impressed with the AK. Got the temp dialed into 180*C and it was rock solid for an hour and half then upped it to 210*C to brown off the spuds.
Chicken was so moist with a lovely crisp skin. As you said I couldn’t taste the beer (or cider in this case) but it does add juiciness to the meat.
Next week I’m gonna try pulled pork if I can get a nice bit.
BCE6C7C5-FCB2-4E07-B990-1E627B6ABD42.jpeg02C0389B-927F-4C54-AC50-65FE8B528240.jpeg

Edit: sorry about the photos, I can’t be arsed to fiddle around with them to make them upright.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Did some braised rib of beef from Costco on the MB earlier. Dead easy, followed an Asian recipe from the internet, cooked tented in a liquid for 3 or 4 hours then uncovered for half an hour to get some colour. They were outstanding, the best ribs I've cooked yet, unbelievably tender and moist ?
Yes there's a bone missing from the middle, it fell out as they were so soft ?

20210531_205425-01.jpg
20210531_205456-01.jpg

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Did some braised rib of beef from Costco on the MB earlier. Dead easy, followed an Asian recipe from the internet, cooked tented in a liquid for 3 or 4 hours then uncovered for half an hour to get some colour. They were outstanding, the best ribs I've cooked yet, unbelievably tender and moist ?

View attachment 36864
View attachment 36866
They look incredible.

My village butcher supplies amazing beef ribs. I love them.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site

View attachment 36864
View attachment 36866

They look great, do you have the link to the recipe?

I’m off work this week and with the weather the way it is going to catch up on some outdoor cooking.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site

HairyBullet

Visit site
I fancy going from my gas bbq to coal could someone please recommend something decent, I missed out on the Aldi Kamodo one, may even be tempted to make one if there are any good recommendations from people who have made their own.
Ta

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you want a regular bbq then Weber are the people. The likes of the Kamodo and Green eggs are a step up and slightly different. It depends on what sort of cooking you want to do.

HairyBullet

Visit site
I've been using the disposable ones of late as opposed to my gas one and much prefer flavour of food, I used coal bbq many years ago with not very much success but more often than not it was just an excuse to get sh#tfaced, I'm a little more interested now and may fancy incorporating a little smoking as well, I've had a little look on you tube etc but would prefer real recommendations.
Ta

BiMGuy

Visit site
Get a Weber kettle BBQ and a chimney starter. Good for long cooks and smoking, as well as conventional BBQ grilling.

Buy decent charcoal and/or briquettes depending on what type of cooking you are doing. Don't buy ready to light bags from Tesco. Its crap and makes your food taste like lighter fluid.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
I have a weber MasterTouch and it does everything I want it to. Beezeerks Napoleon does look nice and I believe is a little bit cheaper, not sure of the available accessories but I haven’t done any research on that.

I think as a starter into it, a kettle BBQ will be hard to beat. You can pick up a good second hand one, or a new one isn’t that much in the grand scheme of things. I have the 57cm and I wouldn’t go any smaller. As above, but a chimney starter, it makes things so easy and use good quality charcoal.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have a weber MasterTouch and it does everything I want it to. Beezeerks Napoleon does look nice and I believe is a little bit cheaper, not sure of the available accessories but I haven’t done any research on that.

I think as a starter into it, a kettle BBQ will be hard to beat. You can pick up a good second hand one, or a new one isn’t that much in the grand scheme of things. I have the 57cm and I wouldn’t go any smaller. As above, but a chimney starter, it makes things so easy and use good quality charcoal.

I almost got a Weber last year but I loved the idea of a cast iron grate on the Napoleon, weighs a ton but you just know its going to last forever. Got to come clean though, I haven't used the Napoleon since I bought the Masterbuilt ?

Edit.
Forgot the important thing, did some cheap rack of ribs from Morissons last night along with those roast baby potatoes again and some home made slaw, absolutely divine ?

BiMGuy

Visit site
I almost got a Weber last year but I loved the idea of a cast iron grate on the Napoleon, weighs a ton but you just know its going to last forever. Got to come clean though, I haven't used the Napoleon since I bought the Masterbuilt ?

I'm thinking of getting a cast iron griddle for my Weber. But as with everything at the minute. You either can't buy the one you want, or the price is crazy.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm thinking of getting a cast iron griddle for my Weber. But as with everything at the minute. You either can't buy the one you want, or the price is crazy.

I bought a cast iron flat griddle plate from Amazon a few months ago, seriously it's an absolute game changer for burgers, specially is you do smash burgers.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
So with another nice weekend ahead, who is cooking what?

I’ve just got some burgers/sausages and chicken so nothing too exciting. I’m trying to decide what marinade/rub to put on the chicken (thighs), so any suggestions very welcome.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
D

Deleted member 16999

So with another nice weekend ahead, who is cooking what?

I’ve just got some burgers/sausages and chicken so nothing too exciting. I’m trying to decide what marinade/rub to put on the chicken (thighs), so any suggestions very welcome.
My Kamado is meant to be delivered tomorrow, so maybe not this weekend, but hopefully midweek it will be getting used.