Alfred Dunhill Links Championship

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've just seen the weather forecast for this weekend. It looks like it will be a challenging few days for players and spectators.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I expect we’re going to see a fair bit of interrupted play if the wind and rain live up to the forecast. It looks horrendous.

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
Not sure what forecast you're looking at but the Met Office shows no rain on Saturday until 4 pm and clear on Sunday. It is windy though.
I'm heading up with the kids for an overnighter in Dundee so we should see some interesting golf Saturday and Sunday ?.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Not sure what forecast you're looking at but the Met Office shows no rain on Saturday until 4 pm and clear on Sunday. It is windy though.
I'm heading up with the kids for an overnighter in Dundee so we should see some interesting golf Saturday and Sunday ?.
To be fair the weekend forecast on the Met Office app has changed throughout today - and no doubt it will change a lot over the week, that's not unusual for something several days ahead.

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
To be fair the weekend forecast on the Met Office app has changed throughout today - and no doubt it will change a lot over the week, that's not unusual for something several days ahead.
As a golfer I always look optimistically at a forecast and think yep, there's a break in the rain there. Even when it's pelting down ?. Fingers crossed.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
As a golfer I always look optimistically at a forecast and think yep, there's a break in the rain there. Even when it's pelting down ?. Fingers crossed.
If you are in St Andrews on Saturday I'll be kicking around the Tommy Fleetwood/Danny Willett and Billy Horschel/Tyrell Hatton games for the first two or three holes at just after 9am - Likely to be wearing a grey Footjoy jacket - say hello if you see me.

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
If you are in St Andrews on Saturday I'll be kicking around the Tommy Fleetwood/Danny Willett and Billy Horschel/Tyrell Hatton games for the first two or three holes at just after 9am - Likely to be wearing a grey Footjoy jacket - say hello if you see me.
Will do. I'll have two kids in tow, probably loudly telling them to be quiet.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site

I use YR forecast. It has improved slightly since I first posted, but still showing 21 mph winds and rain for Sunday.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
Had a wander along to Carnoustie at lunchtime and caught up with Richard Bland and Min Woo Lee on the 6th tee - my usual pattern of arriving just as players make a mess of the hole held true - Min Woo hit it out of bounds and Richard failed to thread the needle of Hogans alley.

Here's Min Woo playing from the fairway after his three off the tee.
3E4A8830.jpg

And Richard extracting his ball from the bunker he found off the tee
3E4A8824.jpg

Cut across and watched Harrington and Lowry putt on 15 and hit their tee shots on 16 and that was about as much time as I could spare - main reason I was out was to check I could remember how to shoot this and work out what clothing will be required this weekend.

I quickly discovered that a hoodie with a rain jacket on top of it and Craghopper winter trousers are not the way to go - I was roasting and it will be a rethink about what wear in the wind at Kingsbarns tomorrow.

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
See Kingsbarns was the hardest of the three yesterday for a change - Javier Ballesteros making a nice move at Carnoustie

davidy233

Tour Rookie
Had a fine day at Kingsbarns today, missed the early morning rain storm as I had to call into the Media centre in St Andrews on the way - caught up with Billy Horschel at the 11th (his second) and by the time they were on the 12th tee the sun was out and it stayed out for most of the day - windy as hell though.

I like Billy but as a photographer today wasn't the day to stalk him, baseball cap down over the eyes and bright sunshine make for very dark shadows on the face, and his putting routine would drive me crazy if I had to play with him - his dad is a character and I hope he enjoyed his 70th birthday today, can think of worse places to spend a birthday.

The Dunhill is largely about lots of pics of Tyrell Hatton and Tommy Fleetwood. Tyrell is gold dust to photograph, he reacts to everything he does and he's always in contention in this tournament.

If you are interested you can see some of my pics from today here

Off to St Andrews in the morning where hopefully I'll stay dry before heading to Perth and a guaranteed soaking at the side of a football pitch in the afternoon.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Anyone else annoyed by Hatton? Worst player on the team at the Ryder and NOW he remembers how to play.
Even Tommy looks half decent.

The really odd thing about Hatton is that he top 5s (at least) in this every year, but I don't remember him ever featuring in the Open.

Last edited:

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It’s misleading form. The courses are setup easy for the Dunhill and the field isn’t very strong. I don’t think you can really compare their form against Whistling Straits.