Aldeburgh or Ipswich? (or Woodbridge or Thorpeness?)

evemccc

Visit site
It looks like I’ll be heading to Suffolk on a short trip with my GF in early summer - there’s a chance I may be able to squeeze in a round (but sadly no more than a round) if I play my cards right

I’ve read a few reviews of these courses and these four all seem top notch, and are what I’m choosing from..I’m looking for some good personal recommendations and, why, please

Also, I’d be looking to do this on a CC / twilight if possible, and it’ll be a one-ball

Thanks in advance!

D

Deleted member 23270

I don't think Norfolk/Suffolk participate in the CC scheme (think they have their own) so that may affect your decision.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It looks like I’ll be heading to Suffolk on a short trip with my GF in early summer - there’s a chance I may be able to squeeze in a round (but sadly no more than a round) if I play my cards right

I’ve read a few reviews of these courses and these four all seem top notch, and are what I’m choosing from..I’m looking for some good personal recommendations and, why, please

Also, I’d be looking to do this on a CC / twilight if possible, and it’ll be a one-ball

Thanks in advance!

Woodbridge, Purdis (Ipswich) or Aldeburgh would be the ones to aim for. Thorpeness is fine, but conditioning is a bit ropey at times.

Aldeburgh is good if you want to get you head punched in. No par 5s and can play long. Is 2ball only though, so as a single, it may favour the round time.

Woodbridge is glorious, and I haven't played Purdis since it had some trees removed etc, but it is also supposed to be markedly improved.

If you are a member at a James Braid course, Purdis do reduced rates as part of the country wide Braid thing, which may help.

evemccc

Visit site
Woodbridge, Purdis (Ipswich) or Aldeburgh would be the ones to aim for. Thorpeness is fine, but conditioning is a bit ropey at times.

Aldeburgh is good if you want to get you head punched in. No par 5s and can play long. Is 2ball only though, so as a single, it may favour the round time.

Woodbridge is glorious, and I haven't played Purdis since it had some trees removed etc, but it is also supposed to be markedly improved.

If you are a member at a James Braid course, Purdis do reduced rates as part of the country wide Braid thing, which may help.

Thanks for tips… Thorpeness crossed out!

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Can't comment on Woodbridge & Purdis. Of Thorpeness & Aldeburgh, Aldeburgh offers the stiffer test of golf, Thorpeness has a few quirks but I have always enjoyed it more than Aldeburgh.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
I also prefer Ipswich over Woodbridge.

Par 3's are better with more variety at Ipswich. W'bridge also has a couple of sections where holes are quite similar....straightish....down a hill, up the hill to the green.....turn around and do the same in the opposite direction (with a par 3 in between).....its not bad by any means...just not quite up there with Ipswich in my opinion.

D

Deleted member 15344

Purdis Heath is the better course of the four

Aldeburgh is also nice but also not a fan of the long sock rule

Woodbridge is lovely but isn’t as good as the other two

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I've played Ipswich and Woodbridge in the last year. I slightly preferred Woodbridge, but would gladly play both again to see if I changed my mind.

evemccc

Visit site
When are you coming? I can get you on as a guest at Ipswich. Highly biased but iIrate it over Woodbridge, aldeburgh is very decent tho but long socks in this weather isn't for me.

Thanks very much, that sounds great

I will check / confirm dates with my GF and then private message you when I know concrete dates ??

D

Deleted member 29109

Does anyone know the condition of Ipswich at the minute. Looking to play there at the weekend if we can get a time Saturday afternoon

evemccc

Visit site
I played at Aldeburgh - I thought it was a v good course - the closest approximation I can give to anyone who is interested but not yet played it, is that it’s similar in style to Ganton…albeit without the huge bunkers and long views

Edit: a great welcome in the pro-shop and a club I’d like to be a member of if I was local to the area

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have a long pair from Royal St George’s. There’s just no way you can wear those and be sexy. Which is important to me. And the ladies. It’s they’re losing out like.