Aldeburgh or Ipswich? (or Woodbridge or Thorpeness?)

TerryA

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Sorry to disagree about Aldbrough but compared to Thorpeness it is pretty boring. Every hole is different at Thorpeness, the same cannot be said about Aldbrough. Woodbridge is my favourite but Purdis is also a great course. I’ve played all 4 in the last couple of months.

D

Deleted member 29109

Played Ipswich yesterday. We thoroughly enjoyed the course. Which was in great condition considering the recent weather. The greens were very slow (on purpose) and receptive which took some getting used to.

There aren’t really any poor holes on the course, the approach to the 4th and the 5th was the weakest stretch in my opinion.

The whole course was framed beautifully, bunkers were well placed and in good condition. It was a fair test, with multiple way to play many of the holes, which unfortunately my golf didn’t live up to.

We were made to feel welcome from the moment we arrived. Everyone we met from the Pros to the bar staff couldn’t have been more friendly, which isn’t always the case as a visitor.

If I lived closer I would e a member.

D

Deleted member 23344

Just looked on the Aldeburgh site and the dress code says that knee length socks are required with shorts. Leaving aside that it is an awful look, it completely removes the point of wearing shorts in the first place! No doubt long socks are helpfully available at a price in the club shop to assist those who don’t check the dress code. No wonder golf still retains its stuffy reputation.

evemccc

Visit site
Sorry to disagree about Aldbrough but compared to Thorpeness it is pretty boring. Every hole is different at Thorpeness, the same cannot be said about Aldbrough. Woodbridge is my favourite but Purdis is also a great course. I’ve played all 4 in the last couple of months.

Well regardless of personal preference it seems that East Anglia has some great courses - those in Suffolk and the links of north Norfolk…definitely worthy of a trip in future ??

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thought Aldeburgh was a cracking course, personally I would never avoid a course worth playing because of its dress code.
I can maybe see the issue of joining a course though it wouldn't generally stop me.
But my enjoyment of clothes is massively surpassed by my enjoyment of golf.