Albatross - ever had one ?

Kaizer_Soze

Head Pro
Visit site
Following on from the eagle thread was wondering if any fellow forumers have hit the ultimate big bird.

Not for me (yet lol) but I have come pretty close on 4 occasions, the latest was about 3 weeks back, 2nd shot to 18 at Balbirnie Park with a 3 hybrid pitched 6ft short dead in line and ended less than 2 feet from cup, 10th at Kirkcaldy with a driver to about 2 ft many years ago as a junior, 12th at RAF Bruggen circa 1991, 3 iron to a foot or so, the closest was about 4 years back, 6th at Thornton with a 3 wood. ball landed short and rolled up making a perfect line for the hole, ended up 3 inches directly behind the hole, to this day I still cant understand how it didn't drop as it seemed to defy the laws of physics.

Over to you, big bragging boots on :whoo:

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
No, but I do remember the closest I ever got. 1" pin high to the right, led to my first eagle back in 1975.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yep. On the Old Course in St Andrews on the Par5 5th, playing off 20. 2 nett 0 for 7 points. Strong cross wind from left to right to help my slice. Hit my driver way out left and watched the wind/slice bring it back onto the fairway. Then hit 3 wood, again way out left and watched it bend back towards the green. Got up to the green and couldn't find it anywhere. One of my mates walked past the hole and said "there's a ball in there".

D

Deleted member 16999

1 on the Par 5 7th at Seaham GC about 8yrs back, 3 Wood second shot in to the green, thought it had gone through the back, only looked in hole as a last resort.

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes, it happened the only time I played Wentworth West Course in a corporate and on the 18th.

Drove it about three hundred and twenty yards and thought to myself, "You'll never get another chance so may as well try it, son. Nothing to lose".

3 wood right out of the screws that flew the water and hit the front of the green and then rolled out about ten yards up to the pin. We thought it had stopped on the edge but then it just disappeared.

The crowd went bonkers and then my alarm clock woke me up.

Last edited: