Air France have lost Gmacs clubs, he needs them for Open Qualifying tomorrow..

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm sure Nick at Tour X could have built him a set to his exact spec. Weird how Srixon couldn't sort him out through a club builder

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Just pick up a set at a golf shop

unless golf pros are cheating with something out of the ordinary they use

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Never understand why a pro cannot ring home and tell the wife to send some clubs he has sitting in the garage. If he is anything like me he will have piles of clubs sitting at home. They may not be his current set but no doubt he has clubs sitting about that would just be as comfortable as an old pair of slippers.

Dust off that Cleveland classic driver GMAC !

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I’m amazed that he hasn’t got a duplicate set for precisely this sort of circumstance, I thought all pros did, obviously this one doesn’t.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Well he has officially withdrawn. Can't help but think he given up easily, his reasoning is that he still has two chances at the Irish and Scottish Opens. To me, three is a charm. And would do anything to help my chances in competing.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
he may have already been in American golf and seen how much clubs and balls are and thought sod that, i'll wait for free ones:rofl:

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
I find it hard to believe that the magic clubs are still in CDG airport 24 hrs later.

As others have said.. Srixon must have his exact Spec and could’ve put them together No problem.
Surely the clubs feel a tad different every time he has them Re-gripped.

Last edited:

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
This, it really sounds like he can’t be bothered.

Shame as he could have let someone who wants to try and qualify actually have his place.

By pulling out he’s letting someone else compete rather than going through the motions.

It’s not great pr but given 3 out of 73 (something like that) then not knowing distances etc for clubs is going to have a massive impact and make it hard to qualify.

Skip it, move on to Ireland to practice and be fresher and give it a go seems sensible in part although it is a long shot to win one of those two given his recent record.

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
Serious Question - Could a new set with the exact spec produce different distances?

To be fair I’d imagine there could be a yard or two here and there throughout the set but I’d also imagine the feel would be the same. SAOL will be a quick as it gets right now.. it’s possibly the driest course in Lancs.
Would exact distance be a huge factor when playing a fiery dried out links?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Serious Question - Could a new set with the exact spec produce different distances?

To be fair I’d imagine there could be a yard or two here and there throughout the set but I’d also imagine the feel would be the same. SAOL will be a quick as it gets right now.. it’s possibly the driest course in Lancs.
Would exact distance be a huge factor when playing a fiery dried out links?
even with his own clubs though the distances here at the moment are based on a good bounce and an element of luck.
Granted these guys are on a different level , but it’s like hitting a drive , iron or chip down a runway.

D

Deleted member 18121

Didn't Peter Finch just buy a set for £25 from Oxfam and shoot -2......easy, just do that.

gmhubble

Head Pro
Visit site
If they have lost them for ever then he needs a set made anyway? Pulling out makes no sense to me and if Srixion can’t get him a set then it doesn’t say much about them does it?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm staggered that he's pulled out. Surely as a pro he could have got hold of any good set of clubs from somewhere - even if he walks into a golf shop and buys some - and he'd been good enough to still have a decent crack at it?

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I am sure that Dan from Lytham Golf Academy (who also runs the pro shop at St. Anne's) could have supplied him with something similar enough to play with. I am not sure about endorsement contracts, though. Maybe he is not allowed to play with clubs other than the current ones provided by Srixon without infringing that in any way. Or he just decided it is too much hassle, because usually it is not just the golf clubs, but also shoes, gloves, birdie book and the hole shennanigan which is kept in the golf bag.

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
The club he can't replace is his putter. He's had it for years and Odyssey no longer make it, or anything similar. So even though he could play tee to green with replacement clubs, his putting would probably suffer and he would be unlikely to qualify.

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Only he knows how much of an impact on his game not using his own clubs will be. Some pro's are just hyper sensitive to equipment changes. Look at Rory when he went to Nike !

And some pro's can use anything.

If it was the actual Open then I suspect he would have used whatever he could have got his hands on though !

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Seemed a knee jerk reaction on first read and almost a swipe at Air France "see what I've had to do". However I do agree that if he isn't happy without his clubs and especially the putter, even with a borrowed set would he really be in the right mind set. I assume (and stand to be corrected) things like the green books etc would also have been in the bag, which perhaps would have been a bigger loss