Air France have lost Gmacs clubs, he needs them for Open Qualifying tomorrow..

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Looks like he won't play at all. Now I haven't looked but can't help but think this must be one of his last chances to get in this year but he said he might as well prepare for the Irish open on Thursday instead.
Some folks have suggested he obtain a set temporarily to do him while others are going down the "well they were custom made for him" route.
I can't help but think that if it was my livliehood and still had a chance in theory, I'd be taking it and get a set of irons from somewhere. Thoughts? Please let's not go down any precious/rich/other route though. If it was you, you'd..... ?

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
Seems a bit daft to me. I thought that's what the tour trucks were for. What would happen if a club got broken? The manufacturers surely need to step in and find a solution especially if he's being sponsored to use specific clubs.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No reason in the world why he could not just obtain another set.

Even if they are different specs or even make, I’d be shocked if he admits defeat.

Sure Srixon could have a brand new custom set ready for day 2

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
No reason in the world why he could not just obtain another set.

Even if they are different specs or even make, I’d be shocked if he admits defeat.

Sure Srixon could have a brand new custom set ready for day 2

Open qualifying is tomorrow. 36 holes.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Surely he just needs to pop into ‘Le American Golf’, get a short notice fitting and Bob’s your uncle.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Everyday we are able to ship flowers, fresh fruit and parcels around the globe in 24hours.

Surely the specs of his clubs are on record and a set can be built up without too much delay. If his clubs are so unique and so critical why not have a duplicate set already made and on standby - the marginal cost would be insignificant compared to the opportunity cost?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Surely he is good enough to play with any clubs. Maybe contractually he has to use Srixon so presumably the local Srixon stockists could just put a set in his car and get to his hotel. Wrong shaft, wrong lie, shouldn't matter enough for someone that good. Get the club's and play.

D

Deleted member 18588

Amazing!
A pro' whose living depends upon his game and, thus, his clubs should attempt to qualify for the Open using whatever he can get his hands on as it will make no difference.

Yet, apparently, all we hackers on here with our wonky, inconsistent swings really need and benefit from having our clubs custom fit.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Amazing!
A pro' whose living depends upon his game and, thus, his clubs should attempt to qualify for the Open using whatever he can get his hands on as it will make no difference.

Yet, apparently, all we hackers on here with our wonky, inconsistent swings really need and benefit from having our clubs custom fit.

You are correct.

He should defo just sit at home and not bother trying.

After all it’s only a chance to play in the open.

Time would be better spend sat on twitter battering airfrance

Griffsters

Hacker
Visit site
I find it very hard to believe that as a Pro playing at the very top level:

1. His club sponsor does not have a spare custom built set for this exact scenario, ready to be sent via any means necessary to get them to him on time.

2. If the above doesn't apply, then his sponsor are not pulling out all the stops to do just that.

If he really wants to play, then it will happen IMHO.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
This. Doesn't sound great support from Srixon

Seems these things happen fairly regularly nowadays so thought the major companies would have a plan in place for such eventualities :confused:

* Unless they miraculously come up with a set last minute so they can promote what great service they provide

D

Deleted member 17920

If he really wants to play, then it will happen IMHO.
This, it really sounds like he can’t be bothered.

Shame as he could have let someone who wants to try and qualify actually have his place.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Professional sport these days is ultra competitive and whilst I am sure can play excellent golf with any clubs, he would be unlikely to play his optimum golf without his own custom built clubs. Not only is it going to be different from his standard set-up (shaft, flex, loft, lie, grips, etc), it will be going through his head as well.