Air France have lost Gmacs clubs, he needs them for Open Qualifying tomorrow..

mashleyR7

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Perhaps he decided he could prob make more money getting a speaking slot on tv than actually trying to qualify and then not making the cut.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I read this on twitter, and I asked why couldn't Srixon/Cleveland, his sponsor knock up a set for him? Surely they have all the shafts/grips and specs for him? Guess not then...... seems like an excuse really.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Totally agree with the points gmac made himself. Can’t give 100% with borrowed clubs and has two further realistic chances to qualify. Missing this chance is not really much of an issue.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Joint leader with rahm at the pro am in Ireland. either he has found hid clubs and hitting it well or his am partners have a dodge handicap.

Ndw7

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Looks like he won't play at all. Now I haven't looked but can't help but think this must be one of his last chances to get in this year but he said he might as well prepare for the Irish open on Thursday instead.
Some folks have suggested he obtain a set temporarily to do him while others are going down the "well they were custom made for him" route.
I can't help but think that if it was my livliehood and still had a chance in theory, I'd be taking it and get a set of irons from somewhere. Thoughts? Please let's not go down any precious/rich/other route though. If it was you, you'd..... ?

I’m with you, simple maths alone tells you that his chances of qualifying increase by playing in 3 events instead of 2. I know the difference is his clubs won’t be ‘his’ but I just think if I was a professional, certainly at his standard, I would have to fancy my chances of qualifying with a new set of clubs. They wouldn’t be off golfbidder would they! They’d be custom made to his specs surely?

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Watching his interview on the beeb seemed to be a fair enough explanation but guess those on here know better than him :rolleyes:

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think he could easily get some irons and woods knocked up, but his scoring clubs wouldn't be right. NOt got his putter and these tour pros don't just play with wedges off the shelf. The have grinds and lofts changed on them, so he wouldn't know exactly how they are going to react when he uses them. I am far from being a tour pro, but tell me to go out tomorrow with a different putter that I do not know and there is now way I could play with any confidence, let alone putt well.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think he could easily get some irons and woods knocked up, but his scoring clubs wouldn't be right. NOt got his putter and these tour pros don't just play with wedges off the shelf. The have grinds and lofts changed on them, so he wouldn't know exactly how they are going to react when he uses them. I am far from being a tour pro, but tell me to go out tomorrow with a different putter that I do not know and there is now way I could play with any confidence, let alone putt well.

And then there is the switch back which mentally may take time to adjust. So potentially it’s not a shot to nothing to play the qualifier as it may impact the performance in the Irish Open.

However we’ll never know if there is an impact or not, and whether the correct decision was made

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
And then there is the switch back which mentally may take time to adjust. So potentially it’s not a shot to nothing to play the qualifier as it may impact the performance in the Irish Open.

e

That was exactly how I thought, mentally switching back and forward would be of little benefit.

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If its anything like it was with greg owen a few years ago, it was a smart decision.

Greg tried to qualify, missed out thinking he still could come top 3 etc, but as he'd missed out at the qualifying event he wasnt elligible for a top 3 spot and despite finishing high enough in the tour event leading up to the open did not qualify for the open.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Is there not a business opportunity here for a courier company that delivers golf clubs all around the world to take all players clubs when they finish and get the delivered to the exact address they want?

I've seen it being advertised for us normal punters as an alternative to putting them on the plane with us. so i'd imagine the money these guys have they'd happily pay an extra £xxx to be absolutely certain of delivery?

i can think of 5-6 examples of lost clubs where players have been ranting on twitter in 2018 alone...

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Is there not a business opportunity here for a courier company that delivers golf clubs all around the world to take all players clubs when they finish and get the delivered to the exact address they want?

I've seen it being advertised for us normal punters as an alternative to putting them on the plane with us. so i'd imagine the money these guys have they'd happily pay an extra £xxx to be absolutely certain of delivery?

i can think of 5-6 examples of lost clubs where players have been ranting on twitter in 2018 alone...

Saw a couple of companies touting this service the GM on his twitter feed (although to be honest I'm not quite sure how they actually do it. The clubs in transit with those companies may well be on the same plane as the player anyway or a cargo flight certainly not any private jet and not using a seat next to a courier, so what method could they use that takes the clubs out of the current handlers/airlines? )

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

You are assuming that they will not lose them, they will not mishandle them. I've used all of the major companies, UPS, DHL, FEDEX etc and all are capable of losing or damaging items that they are paid to deliver.

Jasonr

Club Champion
Visit site

Not exactly the same but I understand that Brian May pays for a seat for his guitar when travelling by plane.