AIG Womens Open

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Buhai has a good lead, but not impossible. Hoping she falters and Shibuno storms it, but also like to see Sagstrom push on. There’s a good No Laying Up series, they spent a week with Sagstrom, was an enjoyable watch.

sunshine

Visit site
The lowest HI in that Championship was a Swedish girl who was off +8.4

That’s crazy! She must be regularly shooting incredible scores. What’s happened to her?

Or maybe it’s a sign that women’s tees are really easy in the amateur game. They seem to be set for short hitting high handicappers, so no challenge for good players.

Big jump when they join the pro tournaments and start playing off the yellows or whites with the pros.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Just started watching this courtesy oof the free YouTube streaming.
Looks fairly breezy out there. What a shame it's a couple of weeks too late.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was thinking similar to this; the pro game "lifestyle" just doesn't suit some people; was it the golf itself or the travel & other associated stuff that did for her?
Was the golf , injured her wrist in the first season and had to go to qualifying school at the end and didn't make it . Found a very good job so gave up and returned to the amateur ranks

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Very small crowd there. Why the ladies pro game is strugglìng and without the megabucks of the mens game - there just isnt that much spectator interest in it for some reason. Still havent had an Arnie, Jack, Seve, Tiger type personality that reaches prominence beyond those already following the niche world of ladies pro golf maybe ?

Given course and location, thought there would have been more interested in being there in nice weather for anyone in convenient distance along M8,M9 region.

big_matt

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just got back from an afternoon at the tournament. Really enjoyed it - course is in perfect condition. Was much more impressed with the women in that wind than i was with the men in similar wind at renaissance a few weeks ago. Thought the crowd would be much bigger but the positive was you could follow a group round every hole and have a great viewing position at each green. I also enjoyed the atmosphere more thsn the mens tournaments - way less drunk people etc. Will go again next year for sure.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Very small crowd there. Why the ladies pro game is strugglìng and without the megabucks of the mens game - there just isnt that much spectator interest in it for some reason. Still havent had an Arnie, Jack, Seve, Tiger type personality that reaches prominence beyond those already following the niche world of ladies pro golf maybe ?

Given course and location, thought there would have been more interested in being there in nice weather for anyone in convenient distance along M8,M9 region.
I think your point is a very strong one. Ask anyone walking down the street to name a female golfer. They wont name one. Ask people in a golf club, they will do well to name 2. Ask those same people, if they can name 2, who won any of the last 8 majors. They will struggle.

Ladies golf desperately needs a personality who breaks through the niche it currently sits in.

evemccc

Visit site
I really enjoyed my afternoon at Muirfield on Friday - I am definitely going to Walton Heath next year for the Women’s Open…it’s so much better IMO to NOT have to listen to drunken shouts of “light the candle…get in the hole” when watching the world’s best golfers at close proximity