AG Custom Fitting

monktonhallgc1882

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Going to get fit for new irons this weekend can anyone tell me anything about the AG procedure (stats tips tricks etc.). Ideally I'm looking for forgiving clubs but not to forgiving because I am on the way up (22 hcap currently) with a target of 18 by the end of next season. So would I be right in saying I should look for Cobra S's, Wilson D's or C's or Callaway X's.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The one thing I'd always do is take one of my own clubs to compare to. No point changing to something that isn't significantly better than what you have now.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Ideally you are looking for dispersion, although some distance is nice. Ag can fudge the distances, but not so easy to fudge the dispersion. Hence take you own club to bench Mark.

They also get bonuses for selling certain brands, Nicklaus, Wilson, and a few others. Go with what you think you hit best, and if you want to hit a particular club, insist on having a go, see how you get on. If they are pushy, walk away.

Other than that, have fun.

monktonhallgc1882

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The one thing I'd always do is take one of my own clubs to compare to. No point changing to something that isn't significantly better than what you have now.

I think what I want are alot better than what I have search on google Cobra HUMP then search cobra s2 or di9 etc.

Andy

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'd forget the idea of clubs in your head just now. See what appeals to your eye and hit them all then compare the stats given and what your own club produces.

So many clubs out there now that I'd never restrict myself to a pre conceived shortlist.

Main thing is to enjoy the experience and dont jump at the 1st club you try.

Jonny

Assistant Pro
Visit site
don't let them sell you something you hate looking at. You'll never be happy playing with something you think looks ugly. And when it comes to the more touch oriented shots an ugly club isn't going to fill you with confidence that you can pull off something delicate.

And if you think the guy is trying to flog you something useless or seems like a clueless muppet tell him to p*** off or ask to see his boss.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Despite me posting elsewhere about an air of change in my local AG I wouldn't trust any of them to C/F me correctly. Many of the shop staff aren't fully trained, don't know how to evaluate the data from their in store monitors so try and just tell you how far you are hitting it (on a machine with tweaked fittings) and will push Yonex, Wilson, Hogan and Nicklaus even when you expressly tell them you aren't interested.

I've had a fitting where even the basics like an impact board weren't used and where the range of shaft options went from R to S in the manufacturers default. If possible, take your own club and find an AG attached to a range so you can get an idea of flight and distance and see the shots for yourself. Personally I'd rather go to a PGA pro who has been trained to provide fitting services

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I played golf with a former manager at AG, and he confirmed to me, when I asked, that it was standard practice in the past to amp up the stats for preferred brands during a fitting.

I would therefore side with Homer on this one, and not consider AG a reliable place to go to.

The other general advice given, such as suspending assumptions about what you think you will need, I agree with, though.

Monty_Brown

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Like any multi-branch business, there are good ones and bad ones, depending on staff and facilities.

I'm in a similar boat in that I've got a bunch of vouchers that I have to spend at AG as I used a bunch of Tesco clubcard vouchers... free shinies!

From where I live and work I could go to one of about four different branches, so gave them all a call to work out how on the ball they were. Two had launch monitors but no range, one had a range but no launch monitor, and one had a monitor and range, so that's where I'm going (the one at Top Golf in Chigwell).

The guy there was pretty clued up when I spoke to him, went through all the measurements and gear they used (Vector Pro monitor) and, quite rightly, said you need to use a monitor and see the ball fly for real to make a decision. Contrast that to the guy at the branch with a range but no monitor (nr Cambridge) who blithely said they were so experienced they could do it by eye... no thanks.

In an ideal world I'd go to my pro or another custom fit centre, but for a bunch of free money, I'm trying to get the best out of AG.

Jonny

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Only thing I'll say about the AG in Chigwell is that the range isn't a range. It's a top golf. It's full of noisy louts, often having a few beers, and very very noisy kids. Add to that the fact that the place is being refurbished and it becomes somewhat limiting. Balls are crap as well. Really old beaten up things that fly with a hook, a slice and spin excessively up in the air as well all in one strike of a ball. There are a few good balls... but mostly they have lost all life they've been hit so many times.

The shop itself isn't too bad except that more often than not the fitting machine upstairs in the shop is usually offline as it's been adjusted by one of the kids in there and they have no idea how to get it restarted.

Basically they talk the talk pretty well but don't back it up effectively. By all means give them a go but I know that store pretty well as it's five minutes from my front door.

Monty_Brown

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Only thing I'll say about the AG in Chigwell is that the range isn't a range. It's a top golf. It's full of noisy louts, often having a few beers, and very very noisy kids. Add to that the fact that the place is being refurbished and it becomes somewhat limiting. Balls are crap as well. Really old beaten up things that fly with a hook, a slice and spin excessively up in the air as well all in one strike of a ball. There are a few good balls... but mostly they have lost all life they've been hit so many times.

The shop itself isn't too bad except that more often than not the fitting machine upstairs in the shop is usually offline as it's been adjusted by one of the kids in there and they have no idea how to get it restarted.

Basically they talk the talk pretty well but don't back it up effectively. By all means give them a go but I know that store pretty well as it's five minutes from my front door.

Aaaaargh! Back to square one :(

Jonny

Assistant Pro
Visit site
In that case do not attend the establishment on any tuesday between the hours of 6pm and midnight. There is often a drunker lout of a five handicapper running around loose with his mate causing complete chaos and mayhem whilst avoiding the bouncers.

(incidentally the bouncers thing is serious. A driving range that needs security. That should tell you a bit about the place)

Monty_Brown

Tour Rookie
Visit site
In that case do not attend the establishment on any tuesday between the hours of 6pm and midnight. There is often a drunker lout of a five handicapper running around loose with his mate causing complete chaos and mayhem whilst avoiding the bouncers.

(incidentally the bouncers thing is serious. A driving range that needs security. That should tell you a bit about the place)

Welcome to Essex ;)

StrangelyBrown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Going to get fit for new irons this weekend can anyone tell me anything about the AG procedure (stats tips tricks etc.). Ideally I'm looking for forgiving clubs but not to forgiving because I am on the way up (22 hcap currently) with a target of 18 by the end of next season. So would I be right in saying I should look for Cobra S's, Wilson D's or C's or Callaway X's.

Try Scott Gourley at Craigmillar GC, he's got an excellent reputation for fitting.

http://www.sggt.co.uk/

Jonny

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Welcome to Essex ;)

It's worse than you think. It's on the site of the old Epping Forest Country Club.... The nightclub was so bad that at one stage they closed the golf course next door for an entire sunday whilst the police searched the area for the murder weapon used the night before.