After weeks of struggling with my game, I finally broke 70!!

EZprophet

Head Pro
Visit site
Cliffnotes at the bottom if you can't be bothered reading the whole thing.

------------------------------------------------------------

I've never done one of these self-indulgent posts before but I feel like I've finally done something worth writing about so thought I would give it a go...

For the last month or so I have really been struggling with my game. It all started a few days before the Blackmoor forum meet as it happens. Before the meet I had played 22 rounds in a row shooting in the 70's and afterwards 10 of my next 17 rounds were in the 80's....

Every single part of my game was poor (except luckiy my wedges which managed to limit the damage somewhat) and I had just completely lost all confidence in my swing and my putting stroke. I felt as though I had completely lost what it felt like to swing the club well. I could feel myself manipulating the clubface in my backswing but I couldn't do anything to stop it. My putting was even worse. I was pulling or pushing almost every single putt and was never making pure contact with the ball.

I went for a lesson with my teacher up at the range and was talking to him seriously about maybe easing up on the amount I played as I really wasn't enjoying the game at all. He told me that maybe it might be an idea to have a break for a week or so but unfortunately I couldn't as I had a match arranged already for the next day. Anyways, I had the lesson and it was the best one I had ever had. It was the same stuff we always work on but one point he made about "extending down the line" finally clicked with me as to exactly what he meant and I was hitting the ball as good as I ever have. We went out on the putting green and one small adjustment with my hand position had me striking the ball pure again.

I was obviously very happy but part of me knew that the real test would be on the course the next day. Sure enough, I went out and shot my first EVER round in the 60's!! To be fair it was only 1 under par as the par at my course is 69 BUT the official course record is only a 3under 66, so I was still completely over the moon.

I have come close to shooting in the 60's so many times in my life I can't even tell you, but I have always *ahem* choked at the last minute. The most recent one (that still pains me to even think about) was on a golf trip in Atlanta a few months ago. I was standing on the 18th tee -4 par and facing a reachable par 5 that I had eagled in the morning round. I hit a decent drive but crept into the fairway bunker and left myself a 170 yard shot over water but with no lip to contend with. To cut a long story short, against my caddies wishes I went for the green and it hit the bank and rolled back into the water. I double bogeyed the hole to shoot 70 :( :(

But anyways, since I finally broke my duck I actually went out and shot the best round of my life last week, a 4 under par 68 which included a missed 2 1/2 footer and a 3 putt from 15 feet. It was also my first ever round with 2 eagles in it!

Anyways I'm done now banging on about me but just wanted to say to anyone who is struggling with their game and thinking of giving up that there can be a light at the end of the tunnel! It might just need one little tweek from a pro to give you your swing (and more importantly, your confidence) back.

------------------------------------------------------------

Cliffnotes:

-Started plying crap about 5 weeks ago, just before Blackmoor forum meet
-Lost all confidence in game, considered quitting (well... kinda ;) )
- Went for lesson with pro, a few adjustments and was swinging/putting well again
-Went out and broke 70 for the first time after choking countless times before.
-Followed it up last week with best ever round a 4 under par 68 with two eagles!

john0

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Is it time for bed now, it must be after reading that :D

Seriously, well played fella, the annoying/good thing about this game is that it can take just the slightest change to go from playing crap to shooting low.

And theres nothing wrong with coming on to gloat, Aztec does it all the time :D (damm, I promised him I wouldnt do that today, oh well never mind ;))

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I like reading long posts as long as they're well written :)

Glad to hear of another player hitting some form. It's such a fickle game and I know from experience that a swing can disappear from one round to the next, or even 1 hole to the next!

Well done, and I hope it continues for you in the qualifiers.

Tiger

Money List Winner
rub-of-the-green.blogspot.com
Well played fella that's great shooting. No apologies required hearing break through stories from getting under 100 to breaking 70 keeps me inspired. Doing it twice on the bounce is something special. :) :) :)

Philm

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
good shooting :)

tell me this (cause you obviously cant play alright!!) did you start out with a slice as your bad shot many rounds ago when you took up golf?

just watching your driver swing video and the low swing plane reminds me of how mines is beginning to look as i turn my fade into a draw, but im worried how much worse it will be to play with a hook as a bad shot rather than a slice?

any tips for drawng the ball without hitting any big hooks?

Phil

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Brilliant stuff! Well done. :)

I stood on the 18th tee once having taken 63 shots. Easy par five to finish, birdied it many times (and eagled a few times). Here comes a 67 I thought...7 shots later...70 (par). But at the beginning of the round I would have snapped someone's hand off for that!!! :D :D

EZprophet

Head Pro
Visit site
good shooting :)

tell me this (cause you obviously cant play alright!!) did you start out with a slice as your bad shot many rounds ago when you took up golf?

just watching your driver swing video and the low swing plane reminds me of how mines is beginning to look as i turn my fade into a draw, but im worried how much worse it will be to play with a hook as a bad shot rather than a slice?

any tips for drawng the ball without hitting any big hooks?

Phil

Thanks lads, appreciate it. :)

Yeah in junior golf I used to fade every shot and my miss was a big slice. No idea how/why its changed to a draw over the years, it just happened. I guess I just focus on hitting the inside of the ball (by inside I mean the half closest to your feet when you look down at the ball at address..) but I dunno tbh.

Started having lessons about 8 months ago and I've been working on the same things since I started. Using the body more than the arms for the turn, clearing the hips early and extending the club down the line instead of pulling it inside. Dont know if any of that rings a bell with you but just find a good pro and have a lesson to find out what it is that you need to do.