Advice on my balls...

Cernunnos

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The ball you satrt a hole with is the ball you should play the entirety of the hole with unless it either becomes lost or unfit for play.

It is not permissable to tee off with one ball & then putt using a different ball.

In competition play the brand & model of ball used for the entire round, not just a hole is suposed to be the same, though rarely addered to stricktly at most clubs. Pity really that mere lip service is paid to certain rules imo.

There is a certain pride when playing a comp & part of your preperation is to fill the ball compartment of your bag with matching balls straight out of the box marked up with your own logo with a sharpie marker.

EchtLoon

Challenge Tour Pro
www.thehomeofpoker.co.uk
The ball you satrt a hole with is the ball you should play the entirety of the hole with unless it either becomes lost or unfit for play.

It is not permissable to tee off with one ball & then putt using a different ball.

In competition play the brand & model of ball used for the entire round, not just a hole is suposed to be the same, though rarely addered to stricktly at most clubs. Pity really that mere lip service is paid to certain rules imo.

There is a certain pride when playing a comp & part of your preperation is to fill the ball compartment of your bag with matching balls straight out of the box marked up with your own logo with a sharpie marker.
Again, that is purely for professionals, doesn't apply to amatuer golfers

Cernunnos

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Whatever... :rolleyes:

If you were playing with me I wouldn't let you get away with mixing & matching your ball willy nilly through the hole.

If it were in a proper club competiton you would beoffered the chance to correct your mistake before making it, otherwise its 2 strokes for playing the wrong ball & DISQUALIFICATION if you refuse to correct the mistake of hitting the wrong ball.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am just down to my last dozen of Srixon Z-URS's and found the distance amazing from them, they are adding a good 20 yards to my driving, the only downside from them is that they are hard off the putter face and shoot like a rocket compared to softer balls but do offer some good feel on chipping. The Srixon Trispeed is a good ball but it is an out and out distance ball so lacks the feel around and on the greens. The AD333 is a good ball but I find I don't get anywhere near the distance as with the Z-URS and the driver spin is something of a problem for me on this ball, whereas the Z-URS goes straight for a country mile as the yanks would say, though the feel on and around the greens is better with the AD333.

Its all horses for courses really, if you want distance go for a harder ball, if you want better feel go for a softer one, myself want the best of both worlds and I am still looking for that one ball.

I meant the AD333 is a lower compression ball so the feel is lighter whereas the ZURS is a harder ball with a higher compression so not so great on chipping and pitching.

Quote from back of Z-URS pack

'The all new Z-URS features a brand new urethane cover which is the softest urethane cover srixon has ever created.'

Shots from around the green are not going to compress the ball so surely the Z-URS is going to feel softer than the 333. I think so anyway. On all shots.

I would image it would be like comparing an NXT tour to a PROV1, as the Z-URS is srixons answer to titleist PROV1 and the URC to the V1X.

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
Correct URS is VI comparable, URC = V1X.

As to the ball changing thing during a round. I'd not be too pleased if someone I was playing with changed their ball part way down the fairway. Even in a friendly, unless of course it really doesn't matter and score is irrelevant as your both trying different things out. But that has to be agreed before the round starts.

I like to use the same balls throughout the round anyway. Regardless of how many I lose.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Ditto. At the moment my bag has Nike one platinums in it. Only. They were in there at Goswick, and are still there.

When these are gone, I have about 50 boxed ProV1s in a cupboard to use next.

After that (in about 2 years) I will decide what to play with. I don't loose many balls, so they will last a while.

I have finally subscribed to GM, and so will have a dozen 333s coming my way too.

EchtLoon

Challenge Tour Pro
www.thehomeofpoker.co.uk

Whatever... :rolleyes:

If you were playing with me I wouldn't let you get away with mixing & matching your ball willy nilly through the hole.

If it were in a proper club competiton you would beoffered the chance to correct your mistake before making it, otherwise its 2 strokes for playing the wrong ball & DISQUALIFICATION if you refuse to correct the mistake of hitting the wrong ball.
Cerunos, not only did you no read what I've posted twice, but not even your own post, that is the part I highlighted. I hope you read the rules better than you read forum posts.

For the third time, it is not against the rules to play different types of balls on different holes as an amatuer. I don;t believe anyone has said that it is okay to swap balls within a hole.

DCB

Visit site
Interesting comments on this thread. What I can't get my head round is why people would want to use different balls for different shots.

Okay it's not permissible under the rules. That I understand.

But, if you take your golf seriously surely you play with one particular make and model so that you can have consistency with all your shots. Golf is a game where we are looking for consistency so why change one of the most fundamental items of your equipment ?

I use the one make of ball all the time. I know how it responds off the putter, off the wedge and off the rest of the bag. I need that consistency to be able to get the best out of my game.

Cernunnos

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
15-3

http://randapublic.loghar.com/flash/rules/rules_2008_2011.html

I could't give a damn Echt loon whether you substitute a ball on one hole or over the course of the course.

I am refering to the comment someone made earlier in the thread about changing their ball for putting, which would breach 15-3 at the very least.

As for yourself I was also pointing out that officially a ball used at the start should be of the same time as that you finish. It does not matter that you are an amature & not a pro the same regulations apply. You Echtloon are the only person arguing the toss against this.

EDIT: I also can't see why someone would want to play different balls other than in a practice round trying different balls in preparation for competative rounds. where they can be using that one ball type they are happy with over a complete round.

DCB

Visit site
Cernunnos,

The single ball condition would only come into force if the committee had a local rule indicating this was a condition of the competition. The R&A do not recommend this for normal club golf and this is normally left for elite amatuer events and professional golf.

So it is permissible to change types of ball between holes.

If this was a rule for general play, we would need to have out bags full of the same model of ball, just in case we lsot a few that day ;)

EchtLoon

Challenge Tour Pro
www.thehomeofpoker.co.uk

As for yourself I was also pointing out that officially a ball used at the start should be of the same time as that you finish. It does not matter that you are an amature & not a pro the same regulations apply. You Echtloon are the only person arguing the toss against this.
Cerunnos, to use your parlance, I couldn't give a damn.

The special rule - that's special to pros - not one you'll find in the standard R&A rules that amatuers must follow, is that a profesional must use exactly the same type of ball for a whole round.

This DOES NOT apply to amateurs, we can change balls every hole if we feel like it. THAT is the rule of golf, just as DCB has also stated.

Cernunnos

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Echltloon... have it your way... :yawn:

As it happens I'm not arguing against what you have just said only making the point that we should not be changing the ball during the hole unless its damaged or lost.

You've jumped on pedantics yet again & quite franky I'm sick of it.

The irony is we agree & disagree & lets leave it as agree to disagree, as the twoing & froing is pointless kidda.