advice on irons :)

T89

Club Champion
Visit site
Hi all

Let me introduce myself and situation in the hope that I can gain some great advice for my selection of irons to buy :)

I am 23 and have just started golf again, when I say again. I was a member of a course at 16 but played about 10 times!

Anyway, I have joined a local course, its a fairly hard up and down course but very enjoyable.
I currently have (well, have just flogged!) A set of V-Foil M455 irons, bought because i'm an improver but they have a graphite shaft which I feel are too wippy for my fairly fast swing speed.

Now I am currently going round in about 100-105 (Par 72), although my putting is letting me down a lot and once ive got to grips with it again, I should think that will shave 5-8 shots off straight away! I strike the ball well, naturally and have fair distance. I hit my £26 Powerbilt driver 300 yards. I did have a problem with my iron play, I was taking lovely practice swings yet when actually addressing ball and playing my shot, my swing was totally different & shot was poor. I have however started treating my shot like a practice swing and im hitting much more consistently.

So im looking for a set of irons to suit a fairly fast swing, I hit fairly far, I need to be more consistent (dont we all!) and my accuracy needs working on. Im no Golf snob, partly because Im on a tight budget, hence my beloved £26 Slugger! :D Im just looking for a set of Irons that I can pick up for sub £150 (Used) that would suit an improver.

Im leaning towards the Adams Idea A7 irons, they seem superb value for money and a great all rounder

Any suggestions? :)

rob_golf1

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
A set of lessons with your pro might benefit you alot more right now rather than a new set of clubs. You could book 2 or 3 lessons and he could give you the basics to work on, i.e. grip, posture, ball positioning etc.

It is from this that you can then work out whether you are serious about continuing to improve at golf and then maybe consider buying yourself a new set of irons!

T89

Club Champion
Visit site
Thanks for reply, I had a lesson at 16 and have stuck with same grip and swing (and remember drill to go through to keep the swing as it should be). I will get to lessons in a couple of months but as said im on a budget :D

I am sticking with golf also, I couldnt play when young due to college then work, ive been wanting to join for 3 years but not had the cash and now im finally in a position to do so.

rob_golf1

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I have been playing for 4 years now and its only now that I have had some lessons with my pro booked. I have my second one next week so quite looking forward to see what he says about my progression from the first one!

Let us know what irons you opt for if you buy any! We all love seeing what eachother buy on here!!

T89

Club Champion
Visit site
has anyone had experience of the A7's?

I hate looking online for reviews as it can often be a manipulated result

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Only a little experience with Adams irons, but that was positive.

My advice is to fo fo stiff shafted Mizuno MX25 or MX23 (the earlier model). Great Game improvement irons that will also be fine when you get down low. I know a 4-capper who uses them still - after getting them when he was off 24. Stiff shafts tend to go straighter, if little shorter than Regular. Doesn't sound as if you have a problem with distance.

mikee247

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The best advice has been said already get some lessons and dont get into any bad habits early. In terms of irons wait till you speak to your local pro so he can give you an idea of swing speed and consistency. From there you have more information available to shortlist the right clubs. No point in going out there and buying anything that looks good until you have something to work with regardless of the cost. I would expect that most of the large headed cavity forgiving club heads will come from it all.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
If you are on a budget rather than splashing out on new clubs, get lessons. Once the swing is sorted and fairly repeatable then you can look at a wide range of clubs out there. If you go for a set that may be a few years old (Cally X20, Ping G10 etc) then you should fine them at knock down prices. I would guess that the pro will get the swing slowed down and chances are the graphite set you currently have won't be that hard to use anymore

Andy

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you cream your driver 300 yards and go round in over a ton, skip clubs and say hello to a Pro.

Or better still get a trundle wheel.

T89

Club Champion
Visit site
How is it a windup, jesus christ seems like a great community here :\

The "£26" driver was obviously more new, I did a search online for cheap drivers and loads of people suggested the powerbilt slugger.

I bought it used via an eBay auction. And as for the 300 yards, I didnt say I do this everytime, All I was trying to point out is when I do hit well, I naturally get good distance.

Im not one for being "bought into brands" I couldnt care what the label says if it does a job. I clear the back of my local driving range (over the bank) which is 250yards with range balls. Just because you cant hit your expensive club that far doesnt mean Im lying :\ I have better things to do than make things up to strangers over the internet, The idea was for me to give you an idea of where im at so people could make suggestions.

Also, i'm going round in a ton because 1. my putting stinks right now 2. naturally, im inconsistent i.e great drive, awful approach or otherway round etc.

Anyway, thanks for the guys that answered seriously, i'll maybe find another forum to go a tell lies on purely because I dont buy the most expensive bit of kit out there.

Midnight

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There are loads of good irons out there mate, you need to get down to a range/shop and try a few . Have a look at the MD range as they do produce quality irons in my opinion for a very good price if you look around.

Also a few lessons would no doubt help as well mate especially if your putting is as bad as you say.

Good luck anyway and welcome to the forum.

T89

Club Champion
Visit site
There are loads of good irons out there mate, you need to get down to a range/shop and try a few . Have a look at the MD range as they do produce quality irons in my opinion for a very good price if you look around.

Also a few lessons would no doubt help as well mate especially if your putting is as bad as you say.

Good luck anyway and welcome to the forum.

thanks mate :)

Siren

Tour Rookie
Visit site
When your first post includes I drive it 300 yards I always assume its a wind up, its served me well on many a golf forum.

You seem to have taken serious offence therefore I apologise.

If you want honest advice get some lesson with a pro before even thinking of new clubs.

T89

Club Champion
Visit site
Siren, apology accepted. As I say, i have no reason to lie. If I said I hit 300+ yards dead straight on every hole then yes tell me to get lost! lol

As I say, WHEN I hit well, I do hit well. I did loads of research as I was short on money and wanted a half decent driver, just came across powerbilt and will deffo be purchasing an airforce one driver when money permits.

I Will be having lessons, but I do need to get some irons now, managed to get £120 for my V-foils :D I only paid £50 for them lol.

Just trying to see what people suggest for the money, those MD's look chea!