Advice on how many hybrids I need please

idkwia

Visit site
My current set of clubs are about 20 years old so definitely time for a new set. My issue is how many hybrids to get. I normally make good contact with the ball but I am not a naturally long hitter so I don't think there is any doubt that I should get a hybrid instead of a 3 iron but should I get one instead of a 4 iron and maybe even a 5 iron? How does one know what to do, is there some sort of way to work it out?

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
as someone new to the game (in a proper way as opposed to 20 years of pitch and putt) I am also a bit baffled by the long iron versus hybrid dilemma

my set is 3-sw but not sure whether to ditch the 3 and 4 for 2 hybrids instead

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'd say only swop for the irons you don't like hitting.

I grew up using bladed 3-SW so I'm quite happy using a 3 iron and just have one hybrid that sits between 3 iron and 3 wood yardage-wise.

If you're not comfortable using a 3 iron then swop it for a hybrid. Same with the 4 and 5.

Most people say the hybrid is easier to hit than an equivalent iron, and flies higher and maybe a tad longer.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
A lot of iron sets are now only coming as 4-PW (maybe an SW as well) and so I would say a 3H would be a good starting point. More versatile than a 3 iron and can be used off the tee and out of light rough.

After that I guess it depends how well you hit the longer irons. The K15 range (game improver clubs) I think come with a 3,4 and 5H as standards and only have irons from 6-SW

percy_layer

Challenge Tour Pro
www.davidord.com
Look at a mix of hybrids and long iron replacements such as the Mizuno MP Fli Hi. I have the Fli Hi 2 and 4 irons then 5 to PW of the MP68s, they are so much easier to hit and fit in the set really well.

goldenbare

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the info on the Fli hi Charlie, I was about to ask a question on them when I saw your reply. direct golf seem to be doing a good deal on them in their Christmas Flyer.
Might take a trip to Solihull in the morning ;)

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
/snip/ More versatile than a 3 iron and can be used off the tee and out of light rough.

Can a three iron not do this equally as well?

I have a hybrid only because I could not get a 2 iron at the time, there is nothing I like more than hitting a good 3 iron second shot on par 5's. I really cant understand why people feel that long irons are difficult to hit.

percy_layer

Challenge Tour Pro
www.davidord.com
/snip/ More versatile than a 3 iron and can be used off the tee and out of light rough.

Can a three iron not do this equally as well?

I have a hybrid only because I could not get a 2 iron at the time, there is nothing I like more than hitting a good 3 iron second shot on par 5's. I really cant understand why people feel that long irons are difficult to hit.

Depends on your swingspeed and launch angle. Most golfers cannot generate enough of either to flight a 3 iron consistently longer than a 5 iron. Same with your 13 deg fairway wood, the majority of golfers cannot flight a club with so little loft consistently.