Advice on buying new clubs

amateurhour

Visit site
First of all I guess its a hi from me, this is my first post, signed up the other week after spectating on here for a couple of months.

I started playing this great game only last summer, it was something I'd been meaning to do for a while and, as I wasn't sure if I would get on with it to start off with a bought a cheap complete set off ebay for around £70.

As it was I had a great time, and played around 15 rounds over the last summer plus copius trips to the range. My aim was to beat 100 and I managed to do this a couple of times towards the back end of the summer.

Whilst I say above I love playing I am very much a fair weather player and as such the clubs have been locked up since the end of October. I plan on hitting the courses again next month but I am looking to invest in some new equipment ready for the new year now I know I wish to play more long term. I have a budget of around £400, but this needs to get me a complete new sets of irons, driver, hybrid and putter.

Having read through a few threads on here regarding custom made clubs I'm not sure these are going to be suitable, I can't see my game improving sufficiently for them to make too much of a difference and I am of average build/height.

I guess with the above my questions would be getting advice on the sort of cost split that would be preferable between the clubs, whether best to purchase new or 2nd hand and what sort of things I should be looking for when looking.

We have a direct golf not too far away so planned on going there to test some clubs out in the first instance.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'd definitely go 2nd hand for the irons. I keep reading that you can get Callaway X series reasonably cheaply, or any Ping G series would also be a good buy.

I'm not sure where I saw it but someone was selling new Mizuno MP-630 drivers recently for about £70 and you should also be able to get Taylormade from a couple of years ago for a decent price.

Benross and MD also very good value for money as they're not perceived to be one of the big brands but produce quality stuff.

With a putter I'd say go new if your budget allows as you really need to have a swish with as many as you can and see what feels good to you.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
What do you use at the moment. What you have might be ok. But what Region3 say is spot on. You will not go far wrong with those. But do go and try as many as you can. Then look around to get them secondhand. You will only pay a fraction of the new price. Dont disregard last years models either. For example I got a new Taylormade R9 driver for£90 as they had just brought out the R11 driver. The year before the R9 cost £390 r.r.p.
Welcome to the forum by the way. Oh and well done breaking 100.

MGL

Challenge Tour Pro
www.mygolf.me
+1 on the MD route - nice stuff! If you don't want to go down the full custom fit route, make sure they are the right length for you and have the right grip size. Even buying the MD ones, these are easily checked and altered. Just because you are average height, doesn't mean to say 'standard' will fit you - and there isn't really a standard anyway! Other than that, make sure the clubs have cavity backs, wide'ish soles, and offset heads - these will help you square the clubface at impact.

jennifermcm

Hacker
Visit site
I went the custom route with Taylormade Burners, and it suited me because I'm fairly tall. They're a very forgiving club.

When I'm at the pro shop I always browse the second hand clubs and trade-ins. At this time of year the new 2012 clubs are coming in and some golfers will be trading up - my new 5 wood came from that source recently. Also the pros will be selling off last years demo clubs, so it's a good time to pick up a top driver or wood at reasonable prices.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just been having a look on hte American Golf website and there are some really nice options on there for your price range, take a look at some of these:http://www.americangolf.co.uk/produ...Superstrong-ST-Fairway-Finder/p83189.aspxthat would sort you out with a set of irons some hybrids and the 3-wood comes in a strong loft so would good from the tee and maybe even from the fairway. Or if you would like to get one of the premium brands then check out this offer:http://www.americangolf.co.uk/produ...SuperLaunch-Irons-4-SW-Steel/p53229.aspx.with the money that you have left you should be able to go on eBay and pick up a burner driver and rescue clubs with what you have left

Mr_T

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
eBay is your best bet mate. Just from a 5 minute search you could get a decent condition set of calllaway x series, either x14 or x16 for about 150-160, a taylormade super fast driver and hybrid for about 160-170, that leaves you about 70 quid for a putter, as previously stated go into an American golf or direct golf or whatevers closest to you and try loads until you find one you like as putters are very personal

amateurhour

Visit site
First of all thanks for the replies, I wasn't expecting so much!

Will look into the MD brand, must admit I'd never heard of these in the past.

I'm thinking around £170 on the driver+hybrid, around the same on the irons and then £40-£50 on the putter is the order of the day.

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There are a few Club pro's that stock MD equipment Ours is one so have a look around you might even get them C/F for your budget.

spawn_ukuk

Tour Rookie
Visit site
What ever clubs you decide just make sure you try a few sets before .
made that mistake when i first started playing