Advice Needed, Really....

peterfoster

Visit site
I'm 68 and have mucked around with golf clubs and ball for a lot of the past 60 years.

Much of the aforementioned activity was expended around Council pitch-and-putt courses. By the time I moved on to "real" courses I found that I could not develop a full back swing because of the years I spent on pitch-and-putt courses when a full back swing was not required. So by reason of this inhibition I've stayed with the "pitch-and-putt" set-up - viz - a back swing which does not go above the horizontal.

Obviously, the main draw back with my "horizontal" back swing is that I don't generate much in the way of club-head speed and the ball, as a result, does not travel very far. (I hit a 6-iron about 120 yards in the air, if I strike it well.)

I'm not interested at this late stage in my "career" in extending my back-swing beyond the horizontal so I'm just seeking to maximum my distance with my current, restricted back-swing.

Allied to the aforementioned, I should admit to a fear of woods (or metal woods) -viz - I only have irons in the bag. I'm thinking of trying to obtain a bit of extra distance by "dipping my toe in the water," wood-wise (ouch!) by investing in a small hybrid club. Perhaps something like a Ping G20 hybrid with around 27 degree loft which I gather equates to a 5 or 6 iron. I feel I could convince myself to use this particular club reasonably successfully (i.e fool myself into believing that it isn't a wood!) because it doesn't look like your typical wood! Wretched, isn't it!

Comments, welcomed....

D

Deleted Member 1156

Why not just extend your backswing? It's not exactly rocket science, just keep turning your shoulders. Put a club under your armpits and keep turning until your left shoulder is under your chin.

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi peter welcome along. The best advice would be to visit your nearest driving range or golf club and speak to the pro and arrange a 30 or 60 min assessment. As Drive for show says you might find that extending the back swing is not that hard. If is is impossible the pro will be able to help in you gaining more speed from somewhere maybe not the answer you were looking for exactly but I hope it helps

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi Peter and welcome.

Know a few back home who progressed from pitch and putt to golf and have the same issue. If you're playing to enjoy it and don't feel like reinventing yourself at this point then you'll be pleased to learn that hybrids are not woods. Not at all. They are designed to be long iron replacements so you should play them just like an iron. The extra spring in the face will be very noticable.

Woods are a difficult transition because they require a different set up and impact conditions to irons. Tee a hybrid up pretty low (or however high you'd tee the equivalent iron) and I dare say you'll notice the distance in length. Who knows you may even be encouraged to swing back a little further when you see how forgiving they are on off-centre hits.

The shaft will be all important because a lot of manufacturers make very good hybrids, have a swing about at your local golf store and see what suits. You cant really go wrong with the big brands, Adams is well respected. Lofts are wide ranging so by all means start with something like a 27 degree but you may find you want to add somethng lower to your bag in time - sounds like you have the space!

Happy golfing

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm 68 and have mucked around with golf clubs and ball for a lot of the past 60 years.

Much of the aforementioned activity was expended around Council pitch-and-putt courses. By the time I moved on to "real" courses I found that I could not develop a full back swing because of the years I spent on pitch-and-putt courses when a full back swing was not required. So by reason of this inhibition I've stayed with the "pitch-and-putt" set-up - viz - a back swing which does not go above the horizontal.

Obviously, the main draw back with my "horizontal" back swing is that I don't generate much in the way of club-head speed and the ball, as a result, does not travel very far. (I hit a 6-iron about 120 yards in the air, if I strike it well.)

I'm not interested at this late stage in my "career" in extending my back-swing beyond the horizontal so I'm just seeking to maximum my distance with my current, restricted back-swing.

Allied to the aforementioned, I should admit to a fear of woods (or metal woods) -viz - I only have irons in the bag. I'm thinking of trying to obtain a bit of extra distance by "dipping my toe in the water," wood-wise (ouch!) by investing in a small hybrid club. Perhaps something like a Ping G20 hybrid with around 27 degree loft which I gather equates to a 5 or 6 iron. I feel I could convince myself to use this particular club reasonably successfully (i.e fool myself into believing that it isn't a wood!) because it doesn't look like your typical wood! Wretched, isn't it!

Comments, welcomed....

hey there welcome along

there will always be an issue of club speed if the swing only goes back a little ways - when you say it goes back to horizontal is that referring to the lead arm horizontal to the ground with the shaft pointing upwards ?
or is thathorizontal' referring to the position of the club shaft?
as with the former that means the wrists/hands can be set to help generate some speed whereas just shaft horizontal means there's no real wrist/hand set

trouble with a shorter swing is there is not the "room/space" to really be able to swing with a longer shafted club as there's not the 'time' to present the face angle squarish to target - so understand what you say over the fear of longer clubs

appreciate the older folks get the less range of motion & the less muscle there can be - but still it is possible if the joints are reasonable to have a 1/2 to 3//4 swing - something I have worked with my dad of late too (he's just a few years younger)

if you have a 6i you still use then would look to try out a hybrid that's around maybes 24º of loft
it's not however a club to tee up high so just low like an iron tee-ball
- with the ball position just around 2 balls forwards of center stance
- & maybes at address also just looking to have both the shoulder line & the hip line & the foot line just a tad closed to square to target will give you more of a chance in the backswing
- then see if you can make a backswing where he lead arm is horizontal to ground with the shaft pointing more upwards to the sky with the butt end of the grip pointing approx at a continuation of the ball target line
- then swing through impact & after look to "re-cock" the hands so the shaft again points skywards & a tad back over the lead shoulder as that would help to generate some club speed
- so arms & shaft both sides of the ball are making an 'L' to reverse "L" shape
good luck
& if funds & time & inclination is there would consider searching out a pga pro - maybes be surprised how just a little tweak here & there could be of great help - without having to reproduce a John Daly-esque backswing :)

(would be advantageous for any clubs irons or hybrid to have senior flex graphite shafts)

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Consider golf a different game from pitch-and-putt. Don't do the thinking that you are converting your p-a-p game into a golf game, rather think you are picking up a new game from scratch. Of course you have an advantage that you have a good inclining of what it's about - but don't let how you have played p-a-p constrain you - that's p-a-p not golf.

peterfoster

Visit site
Many thanks for responding, guys. I shall take serious note of all suggestions.

When I say that my back-swing does not go above the horizontal, I mean my back-swing stops when the club is parallel with the ground.

I don't use tee-pegs at all.

I'm 68 and have probably ten years of active live remaining. I've no time to get back to basics. I have to try to make the best with what I have now.

So extending the back-swing per se is out. I had a lesson last year and went through the motions of having a full shoulder turn but the results were horrendous. Old dogs new tricks....

I'll start off by buying a second-hand hybrid with circa 24 degree loft as suggested (which I understand replaces the 5 iron) rather than the 27 degrees of loft I originally envisaged. That should ensure that I can get the ball airborne. Then when I've built up some confidence with that club I'll buy another with less loft. In this way, I hope to maximise my distances with my limited resources!

And if I do gain more confidence, who knows, in the back-swing my club may eventually encroach above the horizontal! :eek:

Huwey12

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi Peter, welcome

im not far behind you age wise, I consider myself quite flexible for my age but I still have to work my body in the golf swing and employ small but effective methods to allow me to turn my body easier. Here goes

1 Flair your back foot out about 30 degrees, this allows the body to turn easier

2 Start the turn with your hips ( your arms & shoulders will move in unison)

3 Lift your head so you can fit the top part of your lead arm under your chin and look down your nose at the ball. This helps me when I don't feel I'm getting a full turn due to a stiff body usually on the back nine on a long hilly course

These might not be text book, I'm sure Bob or the coach will have better methods to help you. Give it a try with nothing to lose

peterfoster

Visit site
I tried a mate's 23.5 degree of loft hybrid yesterday (oo-errr, mrs....) and derived about 145 yards of distance with it compared with my usual 120 yards with the 6-iron. I used it off the tee (I even used a tee peg for the first time in years, albeit a peg set just a centimetre high) and from the fairway. So I'm going ahead and buying a new Adams hybrid (as suggested by Curls) with around 23 or 24 degrees of loft and senior flex graphite shaft (as suggested by the_coach.) One of the family is buying me the club for Xmas, in fact. But I digress.

I have misled everyone and also misled myself. I asked someone to take some pictures of my back-swing and it seems that it stops when my left arm reaches the horizontal, at which point the club is at right-angles to the ground - viz - pointing straight up to the sky! Previously, I was of the opinion that my back-swing stopped when the club reached the horizontal!

I noticed yesterday with my extra yardage that whereas in the past I would still be behind my player's initial drive after I had played two shots, yesterday with the hybrid I was a tad a head of his drive having played two shots! He generally hits the ball around 250 yards when he drives.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I tried a mate's 23.5 degree of loft hybrid yesterday (oo-errr, mrs....) and derived about 145 yards of distance with it compared with my usual 120 yards with the 6-iron. I used it off the tee (I even used a tee peg for the first time in years, albeit a peg set just a centimetre high) and from the fairway. So I'm going ahead and buying a new Adams hybrid (as suggested by Curls) with around 23 or 24 degrees of loft and senior flex graphite shaft (as suggested by the_coach.) One of the family is buying me the club for Xmas, in fact. But I digress.

I have misled everyone and also misled myself. I asked someone to take some pictures of my back-swing and it seems that it stops when my left arm reaches the horizontal, at which point the club is at right-angles to the ground - viz - pointing straight up to the sky! Previously, I was of the opinion that my back-swing stopped when the club reached the horizontal!

I noticed yesterday with my extra yardage that whereas in the past I would still be behind my player's initial drive after I had played two shots, yesterday with the hybrid I was a tad a head of his drive having played two shots! He generally hits the ball around 250 yards when he drives.

Good to hear and I hope the new hybrid and tee use improves your enjoyment of the game. Don't worry about misleading folk, we rarely know what our swing looks like. The difference bettwen "feel" and "real" is often huge. Some folk wonder if that's them at all when their swing is filmed and shown back to them!

Happy golfing

peterfoster

Visit site
Thanks. I'll be ordering something before the holiday. I have a budget of £70 and am wondering if I should buy something new such as Adams or go for something of better quality but used such as Ping G15.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks. I'll be ordering something before the holiday. I have a budget of £70 and am wondering if I should buy something new such as Adams or go for something of better quality but used such as Ping G15.

Hi Peter,

The G15s were great woods (and GI irons) but I don't know if the hybrids had as much praise, they have a deep offset in the hozel that not everyone got on with (I didn't, yet I played pretty much everything else in the G15 range at the time).

You can certainly get a decent hybrid new for £70 and a very good one second hand for that, but just because it's a "better" brand doesn't mean it'll work for you. Even within a brand the range will vary massively. You may find this thread of interest

http://forums.golf-monthly.co.uk/showthread.php?92886-Advise-on-Adams-Golf-Clubs&highlight=adams

New or second hand, the most important aspect (after selecting a club with the characteristics you want - basically more forgiving or better shot shpaing control) is that the shaft suits you. Did you find out what shaft was in your friends club that you used? Because you may find the wrong one with the right head is difficult to use.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
If you buy a new hybrid and you don't get on with it, you will have to sell it on at a loss.
If however you buy a better second hand hybrid and you don't get on with it, you shouldn't make a loss at all if you have to sell it on

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

I used to think the same.

But have a look at the pros hitting all but their very longest irons and you'll see that they generally don't do a full swing i.e. club shaft horizontal at 'top' of backswing. A pro I know explained all this to me and all about maintaining connectivity all down the left side; hip turn and left arm, and (for me) no need to take the left arm back much past the horizontal. And so I don't - and the feeling of connection is very tangible. I note that this is just my very limited understanding of what's going on and maybe what I could be doing - there are others on here much, much better informed about the mechanics of the golf swing than I that can explain all this.