Advice for 1st competition in +35 years

Visit site
Today I successfully managed to convince the club secretary that I know the rules of golf ;)

This allows me to formally play in competitions at my new club here in Italy and establish my first handicap since I left school at 16
My first competition is tomorrow and am quite looking forward to it

I've actually been playing quite well recently (for me i.e., below bogey golf) even with some ropey putting

Any advice (is that allowed)?

---------------------

PS This might make you smile - i go out in a four-ball and i looked at the list today - 2 other gents and a lady
What i noticed was that - in the competition they all played in last week - they are all marked as S (for senior) and i thought - why would they put me out with the old folk....?
......Then i remembered I am 54 years old
......Reality is harsh

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
PS This might make you smile - i go out in a four-ball and i looked at the list today - 2 other gents and a lady
What i noticed was that - in the competition they all played in last week - they are all marked as S (for senior) and i thought - why would they put me out with the old folk....?
......Then i remembered I am 54 years old
......Reality is harsh

That would not make you a Senior where I play or a few of the clubs around here either.

Visit site
Well guys in the interests of complete transparency I have sad news
Played like the absolute hacker I can be :eek:
2 points of hope
1. I can only play better in this Sunday's competition
2. I did actually get the most points in their category 3 (>18 hcp category) - and won a prize! (selection of cheeses and salami from the competition sponsor0
It was otherwise an enjoyable day - PPs were grand - and cheered at my spectacular birdie on the toughest hole on the course (Just a pity about all the trebles and three putts littering too much of the card) :mad:
Still - happy to get back out at the weekend if I can manage

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
2 points of hope
2. I did actually get the most points in their category 3 (>18 hcp category) - and won a prize! (selection of cheeses and salami from the competition sponsor0
It was otherwise an enjoyable day - PPs were grand - and cheered at my spectacular birdie on the toughest hole on the course (Just a pity about all the trebles and three putts littering too much of the card) :mad:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
2 points of hope
Some would class that as a triumph. A win and a birdie. Don't be too hard on yourself and the putting and golf will improve the more you play

Visit site
Thought I should update this for the sake of transparency (rather than others interest)
Have played a few 9-hole and 18-hole comps since my initial debacle
Putting and around the green remains a problem though marginal improvements in last few rounds
Hcp now = 28.5 (46 points in last comp) - that was with too many trebles regressing to my mean
I've accepted that for me, bounce rounds are a far different beast compared to competitions - secret is just to play more competitions i guess
Nice thing is that I've played with a range of really nice members (even the 13 year old who beat me up on the par 3s) - played with last years club champion twice - a very agreeable PP
"We" go again this weekend - if the local weather improves (yesterdays 9-hole was cancelled due to weather)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Great to hear you are enjoying it. I had a major block for a number of years regarding competition golf. The only way around it is to play as many comps as you can so they stop being a big deal. I still get slightly edgy, still think too much about the numbers on the card too often but I am definitely better. It seems odd that we put ourselves through this low level torture for the sake of a hobby but it goes with the game :D.

Don't worry about a 13yr old beating you up, I've been whopped by kids and pensioners. No shame in any of it, it is one of the great things about golf, all ages play the game. I enjoy playing with good juniors, they play with so much freedom and that is great to see.

Keep posting and keep playing (y)

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
2 points of hope

Won some cheese and salami 😂 Over here that would be a block of cathedral cheese and a packet of cumberlands.
😁👍
That aside if playing off 28 when you hit a bad one. Get it back on the fairways with the next. Course manage each hole. Blobs kill your round a single point won't.