Advice and hitting Irons please.

bayjon14

Assistant Pro
www.seapointgolflinks.ie
Hi all,
This may sound stupid and probably is, but I am sure many of you have experienced this and beat it.

I CANT HIT MY IRONS ON THE COURSE.

I am not a big hitter, have cured my slice and hitting 200 to 240 yards with the Driver.
Can crack my 3W, 7W and 23 Deg Hybrid, but I cant hit my irons out of my way.
On the range I am fine, have taken 3 lessons and can hit them under the watchful eye of my PGA Pro. Off the tee I am fine 5I makes 170 yards.
As soon as I come to the fairway, forget it, usually a very poor attempt at a shot, come up way short etc.
If anyone has any little tips etc, I know for the next number of weeks it is going to be practice irons, irons, irons but it is ruining any chance I have of a decent score.
I greatly appreciate any help and tips.
Thanks Guys.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm by no means a golf coach but.....

I was suffering with the irons at the start of the summer. To try and improve whenever I was on the range I just hit 3/4 swing shots for a good while to get the feeling of hitting it (somewhere near) the middle. Gave me a bit of rhythm with the irons aswell.

When I was more confident in the swing from this worked my way up to hitting full shots.

I realise this may not help you in any way but seemed to work for me!!

Best of luck in finding something that works for you

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Trying too hard - simples. On a range or under the gaze of a pro there is no expectation and always another ball that can be hit without any consequence. I shot only and a score to cound and you try and lash it. Either that or you are thinking too much about the swing itself and getting too wrapped up in technique. Been there, done it and wrote the definitive blog guide! Use the range to hone the technique your pro showed you in the lesson and then trust the swing when you get out there and relax and enjoy it. Hit it, find it and hit it again

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Very true Homer.

My issue (although I didn't know at the time) was that I was trying to hit the cover off the ball whenever I had an iron in my hands.

By hitting 3/4 shots I realised how a good strike = good result rather than faster/harder swing = shocking result!

Main thing I got from it was a better rhythm to the swing overall so when I went back to full swing I was more consistent. Still not great mind!

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
One great drill to get the swing back is to hit several shots with your feet together. Its difficult to strike the ball if you lose your balance, and, on the course, you can do the drill and just part your feet more as your striking improves.

Chris

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hi all,
This may sound stupid and probably is, but I am sure many of you have experienced this and beat it.

I CANT HIT MY IRONS ON THE COURSE.

I am not a big hitter, have cured my slice and hitting 200 to 240 yards with the Driver.
Can crack my 3W, 7W and 23 Deg Hybrid, but I cant hit my irons out of my way.
On the range I am fine, have taken 3 lessons and can hit them under the watchful eye of my PGA Pro. Off the tee I am fine 5I makes 170 yards.
As soon as I come to the fairway, forget it, usually a very poor attempt at a shot, come up way short etc.
If anyone has any little tips etc, I know for the next number of weeks it is going to be practice irons, irons, irons but it is ruining any chance I have of a decent score.
I greatly appreciate any help and tips.
Thanks Guys.

How is the bad shot bad? Fat, thin, left, right etc.

Do you hit off mats at the range?

bayjon14

Assistant Pro
www.seapointgolflinks.ie
Thanks guys for all the responses.

Region 3, the shot could be of any type, not covering much ground at all, most commonly a fluff.
In the range I normally hit off the ground, but have no issue off the matt either.
Alex no I dont get a chance too warm up as we usually play early am, but a thought none the less. I am out for 9 on saturday afternoon so I will get to the range and hit 50 balls.
Chris D, I use that drill while practising and must admit I get good results from it. I will try that on the 100 yards and in if I am still struggling.
Homer and NWJocko a lot of good information thier.

I do worry about a divot/poor connection and as stated above leads to disaster.

Thanks again guys, will keep you posted, although golf is now restricted, 9 holes on a Saturday.
John

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
I know its a bit of cliche but dont think hitting at the ball, think swinging through and the ball getting in the way.

Take 3 or 4 smooth practice swings then drop a ball down and swing through just as you did with the practice swings.

bayjon14

Assistant Pro
www.seapointgolflinks.ie
Thanks Sev, will try.
My playing colleagues have said the same, I do try but still manage to complete a full backswing.
I suppose if it was easy everyone would be good at it.