Advantage of Blades over Cavity Backs

GeneralStore

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I know this sounds like a dumb question, but what I really want to know is if you could hit the sweet spot on a club head most of the time, what would be the advantage of going with blades?

I know that they help in fading or drawing the ball, but you can do that with Cavity Backs as well or is it easier?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Uh oh, contentious thread alert.

Basically it is a trade-off between workability and forgiveness. Workability is controllability, but its evil twin uncontrollability always comes along for the ride too. So if you are able to hit the sweet spot most of the time, you want to be like Corey Pavin and hit little fades and draws, and blades give you more scope to do that.

A

Alex1975

I know this sounds like a dumb question, but what I really want to know is if you could hit the sweet spot on a club head most of the time, what would be the advantage of going with blades?

I know that they help in fading or drawing the ball, but you can do that with Cavity Backs as well or is it easier?

Its easier but cavity backs are becoming a lot more popular and better at working the ball.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
If you could hit the sweet spot most of the time, you would be on telly, not on here.

Most cavity backs have a low centre of gravity. This helps to launch the ball high, and gives a priority to back spin (hence the high launch), which keeps the ball straight.

Most blades have a higher centre of gravity. This will launch lower.Side spin will be a bit easier to achive due to the cg position too. This means fades and draws are easier to achieve, but so are massive slices and hooks.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
So, would it be easier to overcook a draw/fade with a bladed club vs a cavity back club?

Oh yes......!!

Even players cavity backs are more tricky to work than blades.
The higher backspin from cavitybacks help to keep the ball straighter. And the perimeter weighting helps the poor strike.

GeneralStore

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
There are so many players that dont seem to be working the ball going for blades or 'players cavity backs' or whatever you would classify a Mizuno MP 63 type of club, why is that?

I am about to change my irons, so just trying to understand the reasoning behind it.

If you were not interested in working the ball, there would be no reason to go for a blade or 'player cavity back', is that correct?

Apologies for all the questions

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
I went for mine purely for aesthetics, I prefer looking at them. That said I am going to book a fitting session soon and see what they say as I fancy some new irons and will go for whatever is best (within reason).

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
To "work" the ball, you need to impart spin.
This can be done equally well with blades or anything else.
The only difference I see is the off centre hits with blades dont go as far as the chunky clubs.
If you are swinging well and hitting the sweetspot alot, you can use anything.

DO NOT believe the media rubbish that some clubs will make you a better player. It's nonsense.

Find a club that you like the look of, make sure it has a shaft that suits your swing speed and get out there and practice.

And before you tell me you don't have time, if you want to be good you will make time.

YOU CANNOT BUY A GOOD GOLF SWING.

Sorry, rant over :(

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I'm always amazed by the people that want to 'work the ball' :D

apart from the odd time you have to hit a slice or hook round a tree whats wrong with a straight shot?

You can still slice/hook shots with GI clubs if you dont have a good swing, if you couldn't then we'd all be off scratch

GeneralStore

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I hear you Bobmac and believe me I practice...alot! I dont think I am as good as I should be for the amount of practice I put in, but I certainly try

I went and had a fitting and I was told that I need to get a stiffer shaft and my lie angle wasnt right for me neither. So I am looking at either getting my clubs adjusted and new shafts fitted or just getting a new set all together and if so, what to go for.

I currently play a Mizuno forged cavity back and I am considering a change to the MP 53, so trying to gather more information on whether I should rather be going for a much more larger cavity back club that would help my off center strikes.

If its going to cost £300 to change the shafts, adjust the lie angles and put new grips on my current clubs, I should just look at the option of putting in a few more quid and getting a new set

Anymore thoughts and opinions are very welcome

GeneralStore

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I would say I flush the ball about 70% of the time, my iron play is the best part of my game, what I do have issues with is when fading or drawing I often overcook it, but thats a swing thing I believe

To answer the questions:
- I take a lesson once a month to work on my swing
- When I bought my current clubs, I got them from a store that sells Mizuno stuff and they put me on the radar machine and took some measurements, it was when I was starting though and my swing has changed quite a bit since then
- I tried the JPX 800 Pros and the ball does what I want it to do, but they sounded like plastic and just didnt feel right. I would rather keep my current set than get those 800 Pros, they look lovely though

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
- When I bought my current clubs, I got them from a store that sells Mizuno stuff and they put me on the radar machine and took some measurements,

did you see ball flight and not simulated ball flight? if not then go to a proper Mizuno fitting centre, you NEED to see what the balls doing

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
The only difference I see is the off centre hits with blades dont go as far as the chunky clubs.

But spin works in two axes, horizontal (side) and vertical (back), and SGI irons have a lot more backspin, which tends to reduce the effect of side spin more than players clubs, no?

scozzie

Medal Winner
Visit site
I have been using a set of 25 yr old wilson staff forged blades for a few months now and love them! picked them up for nothing,regripped them and they are staying in bag..why? I love the look of them at address and they feel great(especially with soft new grips!) and when I have a good day its awesome to feel that wonderful sensation thru your hands and see the ball rocketing off with a fizz!! on bad days it goes nowhere and bad shots are magnified..but hey,it was a bad shot wasnt it? what did i expect? bit of a retro head so it suits me,you mite want something from this century!!...if you feel good with either,go with it,i dont have any more bad days than when I had CB's but enjoy my good days more and Hcap is stable..good luck

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you are swinging well and hitting the sweetspot alot, you can use anything.

DO NOT believe the media rubbish that some clubs will make you a better player. It's nonsense.

Find a club that you like the look of, make sure it has a shaft that suits your swing speed and get out there and practice.

And before you tell me you don't have time, if you want to be good you will make time.

YOU CANNOT BUY A GOOD GOLF SWING.

Sorry, rant over :(

Thanks Bob...

Im off to get my Wilsonstaff FG Tour's back :eek: :D :D :D :D