Adjusting Scoring for 3 ball in a 4 ball competition

kingzetts

Visit site
Hi all,
I'm new here, currently Competitions Secretary at my club in the Midlands. Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere but I didn't find anything by searching.

We organise a number of team competitions across the year, and being an inclusive bunch, we don't like to exclude anyone which means we sometimes end up with a field which doesn't exactly split into the planned format. For example if we are playing a 4BBB, we can end up with the odd 3-ball if the field is not an exact multiple of 4.

What I'm curious about is whether there are any "recognised" methods for adjusting the scores of the "odd" group in this situation - for example if the format is 2 scores to count from 4, is there a recognised adjustment to offset the 3-ball only having 3 players?

Cheers
John Scott

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hi all,
I'm new here, currently Competitions Secretary at my club in the Midlands. Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere but I didn't find anything by searching.

We organise a number of team competitions across the year, and being an inclusive bunch, we don't like to exclude anyone which means we sometimes end up with a field which doesn't exactly split into the planned format. For example if we are playing a 4BBB, we can end up with the odd 3-ball if the field is not an exact multiple of 4.

What I'm curious about is whether there are any "recognised" methods for adjusting the scores of the "odd" group in this situation - for example if the format is 2 scores to count from 4, is there a recognised adjustment to offset the 3-ball only having 3 players?

Cheers
John Scott
We have a three days a week roll-up with nearly this situation. If we can't play either all 3s (2 from 3) or all 4s (3 from 4) we play nominal 4s but the second best score from a 3 counts twice. We settled on this format about 15 years ago and it works very well. It seems most other roll-ups in the club have adopted the format since.

TheBlackCat

Hacker
Visit site
We have a three days a week roll-up with nearly this situation. If we can't play either all 3s (2 from 3) or all 4s (3 from 4) we play nominal 4s but the second best score from a 3 counts twice. We settled on this format about 15 years ago and it works very well. It seems most other roll-ups in the club have adopted the format since.

What handicap allowances to you use when you use this method with both 4 ball groups and 3 ball groups?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
What handicap allowances to you use when you use this method with both 4 ball groups and 3 ball groups?
We use internal 'Fiddle' handicaps based on net cash winnings/losses over a month. But regardless of group size it is 100% of 'Fiddle' handicap