Adjustable weight drivers

Ser Shankalot

Visit site
I imagine the 2022 models will soon be marketed. Adjustable weight positions (for straight, fade, draw) were the new big things a few years ago. But I noticed that last year TaylorMade and most recently Callaway are dropping this feature across their line. So I don't know if this is a tech that has already seen its day. For those who do have drivers with this feature, I was wondering is it something that you actually use or do you just leave it in stock neutral position as how it came?

D

Deleted member 3432

I adjust the weights when I first set it up, but usually don't move it much after that.

I'm the same, my driver is set up with weight in the toe to attempt to avoid the left side of the course which is my big miss when I'm swinging it crap.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Callaway certainly have 2 distinct approaches with their drivers.
Each model runs on a 2 year cycle but they alternate.
The Rogue ST that has just been announced replaces the Mavrik line that did not have movable weights. The Mavrik replaced the Rogue which also didn't have movable weights.
The Epic Speed, still with another year in the line up has movable weight and replaced the Epic Flash...which had movable weights...which replaced the Epic...which had movable weights.
Chances are when Epic Speed gets replaced, this time next year, there will be movable weights.
Alternating like this gives you the choice..if you don't want movable weights then you go Rogue ST, if you do you go Epic Speed.
Ping still have movable weights on the G425 which has another year to run.
TM's approach seems to be similar with weights coming in then going out then coming back in again. But they only have, effectively, 1 line so the choice between weights or no weights isn't there.
I guess it depends on whether the system yields advantages in a particular head or not.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I loves cobras approach, when taylormade launched the r11s it was deemed the most adjustable driver ever to be introduced, cobra went with a set loft with neutral, closed or open.

Wind forward 10 years and the Radspeed (last years) has a straight forgiving model, a draw model, and the standard which has two weights. Set the weight at the front (less spin low launch) set the weight at the rear (more forgiving more spin higher launch)

Does it need to be more complicated than that?

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I have the Ping G425 SFT, which had a fixed weight in the heel to help me square the clubface. It works as far as I'm concerned and is the best driver I've owned. Tried the g425 Max, which has a moveable weight, which again worked best for me in the heel, but the fitter felt it wasn't as reliable or forgiving as the SFT, and the numbers seemed to back that up.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Doesn't the new Stealth have a sliding weight?
Stealth doesn't, but the Stealth Plus does.
Stealth appears to have an replaceable weight at the back, so adjustable for COG.
Stealth HD doesn't appear to have any adjustment - presumably as already deemed optimised.

Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Personally I use the neutral position but the M1 I used to own with the weights set between maximum forgiveness and maximum power.

My mate sets his Sim to suit his swing after a lot of trial and error on the range.