address position with irons

beccles

Visit site
over many years (too many!) i've had several lessons from several different pros (and they all tell me something different! :) ) but more recently i was told that (and this is hard to explan but bear with me) when addressing with an iron that not all of the (flat) bottom of the club should be on the ground, but the shaft positioned so the head is slightly tilted back towards the golfer, making an angle of about 5-10degrees from the ground. I guess in my (long!) time i've had lessons from maybe 10 different pros, depending on where i was based at the time, but i've never been told that before. Is he right? I've tried watching the pros on TV but it's hard to tell exactly what they do at address..

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The toe should be slightly up, as when you swing the shaft will bend and bring the sole squarer on the ground at impact.
That is my understanding from being fitted each time, and yes my irons have their toe sligthly up at address. At impact it's not( I can see the shaft deflection on the video playback) :)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Assuming from what you are saying you are referring to what is known as lie.

With static lie at address you should be able to slide a ten pence piece under the toe of the club to about one third in. This allows for the fact that the shaft will flex towards you in the swing to produce a flat lie at impact.