Accuracy into greens - how to get better

njrose51

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Any tips on how to get better with my accuracy into greens using 5,6 or 7 irons? I'm not expecting to be pin high/putting for birdie etc all the time but any useful suggestions to help when practising would be great and much appreciated.

Thanks!

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Just quickly off the top of my head. These may not apply to you but are generalisations.

1. Stop aiming at flags, hit the middle of the green.

2. Make your swing a repeatable speed, ie. 80%, rather than everything flat out or close to.

3. Find a repeatable method for aligning yourself correctly to your target.

Do you miss consistently one way?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Just quickly off the top of my head. These may not apply to you but are generalisations.

2. Make your swing a repeatable speed, ie. 80%, rather than everything flat out or close to.

I have only recently (last 6 months) started following all of the above suggestions and my % has improved significantly.

njrose51

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

These are great tips, thanks. I tend to be either short and on line or pin high but left or right of the green, so a mixture really.

I think alignment method and not full power will be a real help.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
video embedded there more as a visual aid to compliment part of post #16 on the same named thread in the lounge
- 'scoring lines in the turf to strike couple inches target side of the line" -

and in the sand is another great ways to use the 'lines' to improve strike particularly as the sand is less forgiving in the strike (fats) and also requires a smoother more balanced swing motion so can help to iron out tempo rhythm and calm the 'hit' instincts
also the sand divot in alignment to the target directional lines can help show strikes that are a tad more heel or toe side - 'tic tac toe'
wouldn't stress over the '5th dynamic' any .....

speaking too overall how important control of a repeatable 'low point' in the swing's arc is to solid center strike and accuracy & distance control

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
without quite realising what I was doing - I now take careful aim for centre of green; I am careful about my stance - it seems to me to be open - but it's not - previously i was too closed - and so I now know when it is right (it looks open :) ); and before I take away I am mindful of my movement to my swing position 1 and how I want my backswing finish at my swing position 3 to feel like. And I can't believe that I am talking in this way about my golf swing :)

But it seems to be working