Accomodation near Saunton

GeneralStore

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
2 friends are going to play Saunton and Royal North Devon over a weekend and wanted to know where to stay where there would be a little bit of nightlife, could have a few drinks and stay not too far away from the courses? Some research suggests The Thatch in Croyde.

Any suggestions would be very welcome

cheers,
GS

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would probably stay in Barnstaple and then travel to Saunton 5 miles away.
The Barnstaple Motel is nice or if feeling a bit flush the Brends hotels are very nice.
Ideal for nightlife in Barnstaple too.

D

Deleted member 15344

There isn't a massive amount of nightlife jn the area bar in Bideford

Last year we stayed at the Durrant Hotel which is about 5 mins from RND but it's a bit of a blue rinse coach hotel. Some good B&B in the area

There seemed to be a few good caravan parks - one right next door to a good pub the Pier Inn

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
2 friends are going to play Saunton and Royal North Devon over a weekend and wanted to know where to stay where there would be a little bit of nightlife, could have a few drinks and stay not too far away from the courses? Some research suggests The Thatch in Croyde.

Any suggestions would be very welcome

cheers,
GS

I've stayed in The Thatch a few times. Great pub, excellent food, smallish but functional rooms. Very busy though most times. Near the beach and very, very close to the Saunton courses.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Yep, not a huge amount of nightlife other than Barnstaple. The Barnstaple Hotel (as per PJ's advice) is pretty good, got a small spa in there too. The Yeo Dale in town also has nice rooms. There are also a couple of places right in town but they can be a bit noisy when the pubs kick out.

What time of year are they going George?

GeneralStore

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Thanks guys.

Gordon, they are going end of May for the bank holiday weekend. When I say nightlife, a couple of lively pubs will be enough, no nightclubs or the like required.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I stayed in the centre of Barnstaple for 3 nights and had a great time, there's a pub called the Corner House where all the Rugby players go, full of tottie also and we had a great time, they adopted us and took around all the bars and clubs each night, the mornings were very delicate.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Thanks guys.

Gordon, they are going end of May for the bank holiday weekend. When I say nightlife, a couple of lively pubs will be enough, no nightclubs or the like required.

In that case, also worth considering the pub/hotel in Braunton (The George??) I stayed there over an August BH weekend and it was certainly lively when I was trying to sleep directly above the pub!

Also a fantastic fish and chip restaurant in Braunton :thup:

D

Deleted member 1418

If the weather is good then Ruda holiday park (part of the Parkdean chain) has some nice lodges and apartments overlooking Croyde beach, and a short walk to the pubs in Croyde. The Thatch is a cracking pub.

selwood90

Head Pro
Visit site
Can vouch for the thatch. Stayed in Croyde for a fortnight last summer about 4 doors up from the thatch. Great food, great atmosphere and a great price

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Perfect, thanks guys.

Any other courses to consider playing other than Royal North Devon?
George you know there are two courses at Saunton ? Together with RND that should see you through a weekend.;)

We played Burnham and Berrow on the way down, but it might be worth having a game at Ilfracombe. Pokerjoke plays there and can give you details.

matt611

Head Pro
Visit site
Any recommendations for 8-12 guys? A few of the places mentioned in this old thread are either too small to cater for us or too pricey.

Thanks

D

Deleted member 17920

Any recommendations for 8-12 guys? A few of the places mentioned in this old thread are either too small to cater for us or too pricey.

Thanks
Premier Inn Barnstaple.

I stopped at the Premier Inn Bideford when we played it last Easter. £35 a room we paid.

D

Deleted member 23270

The Barnstaple Hotel is OK, I've stayed there a couple of times and it is big enough to cope with groups. Typically about £100 a night so not too pricey if room sharing.