upcoming trip to Saunton / RND / Bernham & B

Trojan615

Head Pro
Visit site
as above... i have a trip to the south west later this week to play both Saunton courses, Royal north devon and B & B..

not played any before so insider tips would be appreciated!.... i will let you know how it goes!!

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
We did this trip a couple of times, all very different courses and experiences. Saunton East is the hardest and RND the most fun, get there early to have a look round the clubhouse which is amazing. B&B a proper course, back nine tougher and particularly good. Should be an amazing few days

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
B&B is ninja. If you play to your handicap around there then you have had a good day. The 1st has one of the tightest fairways that you are ever likely to come across. Of the other courses, I have only played Staunton West but still a nice course. Enjoy your visits and I hope the wind doesn’t blow too hard for you.

Visit site
Burnham & Berrow is a serious golf course. I asked a member on the putting green if it's always this windy (was Mid-May time, 45mph gusts)... in a serious west country accent just said 'Welcome t' Burnham'

B&B is ninja. If you play to your handicap around there then you have had a good day. The 1st has one of the tightest fairways that you are ever likely to come across. Of the other courses, I have only played Staunton West but still a nice course. Enjoy your visits and I hope the wind doesn’t blow too hard for you.

I roasted a tee shot off the 1st with a driver, split the fairway in 2. I hit a 3 iron for my 2nd shot, and still was 60 yards short of the green. Was straight into the wind, but set the tone for the rest of the round...

D

Deleted member 21258

Not played RND myself, but B&B and Saunton are cracking golf courses, if you like your standard of golf tested.

Depending on your handicaps and if you are male, then you may find the West harder to score on than the East, there is some tricky holes on the West, hence the higher slope rating.

If there are ladies in your group that carry the ball off the tee, less than say 80-90 yards, then I would suggest playing off the Yellow tees on the East course (not the reds), as the carries are generally shorter.

If gents play off the whites at Saunton. No particular tips, as most of it is what you can see, both saunton courses fairly forgiving off the tee. On the 2nd on the West, just hit to the corner about 180 yards iirc, you will see why when you walk down 1 and 2.:LOL:

Hope the weather is kind to you and that your short game is on fire at Saunton, it needs to be at the green complexs are trickey.

There is a pleasant walk from Saunton golf course by the range, down to the lovely beach and have a wonder along the beach to take in the fresh air btw.

Trojan615

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanis all…. It’s a Ryder cup type event, England vs the Celts. All men playing and I play to 8 at the moment…. Although with the new handicap system that we’ll change by Monday!