Golf in North Devon

Philbleasy

Club Champion
Visit site
Hi guys going on holiday to North Devon early April and was wondering what good courses there are to play. Obviously I know of Saunton East and West and Royal North Devon, was wondering if there are any other courses worth playing. Also does anyone know of any deals or even better any members of Saunton and Royal North Devon that would fancy a round?

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Where are you staying.
Ilfracombe is not Quirky
Beautiful course especially if the weather is nice.
I’ve heard Holsworthy has improved albeit a pain to get to.

kevingopher

Medal Winner
Visit site
The courses I would suggest to play that are not to far from Woolacombe, in order:

Saunton West
RND
Saunton East
Bude
Tiverton

D

Deleted member 21258

Anyone know anyone who is a member of saunton or royal north Devon that might fancy a round?

I'm a member at Saunton but sadly cant host due to family commitments at that time.

Have a good trip, Saunton is quality tho and think they offer twilight at that time of year, which works out cheaper at £45 iirc(on full rates they do a £10 discount for county card)

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Having been a member of both Saunton and RND that’s how I rank them. The best tee shot in north Devon is the 16th, west course, Saunton.

Crazy. It’s not even the best par 3 on the complex.

Tee shot wise over half the holes on the east are better.

Imo the only people that see the west as being better are those that find the east too hard...

Last edited:

Philbleasy

Club Champion
Visit site
I'm a member at Saunton but sadly cant host due to family commitments at that time.

Have a good trip, Saunton is quality tho and think they offer twilight at that time of year, which works out cheaper at £45 iirc(on full rates they do a £10 discount for county card)
Thanks for the reply, you don’t know anyone that might be happy to play with me and my friend when we are down in the 1st week of April?

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
That's the first time in my life I've seen anyone rank Saunton West above the East. ? But it's about opinions. We all have a different perspective.

I meant no disrespect by calling Ilfracombe quirky. We play it regularly and I think its part of the charm! I've played it on days when you could not see the sea and still enjoyed it!

And I hope Phil gets signed in somewhere!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 23270

Crazy. It’s not even the best par 3 on the complex.

Tee shot wise over half the holes on the east are better.

Imo the only people that see the west as being better are those that find the east too hard...
Not sure I agree with what you are saying. I can see why people prefer the west (I do) as it is more of a thinking course than the east. Just because a course is harder doesn't mean it's better.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not sure I agree with what you are saying. I can see why people prefer the west (I do) as it is more of a thinking course than the east. Just because a course is harder doesn't mean it's better.
I’m not saying because it’s harder it’s better but I’m saying people that find it too hard naturally gravitate to the west - which is not in the same league.

East has 2 of the best opening and closing holes in the country

West has 2 VERY average opening and closing holes

D

Deleted member 23270

I’m not saying because it’s harder it’s better but I’m saying people that find it too hard naturally gravitate to the west - which is not in the same league.

East has 2 of the best opening and closing holes in the country

West has 2 VERY average opening and closing holes
Well that is very much your opinion. Most people can't reach the 1st in regulation which means starting with a bogey, a good course should ease you into the round. The 18th is OK, nothing special.
Like I said, the west makes you think more.

D

Deleted member 21258

Thanks for the reply, you don’t know anyone that might be happy to play with me and my friend when we are down in the 1st week of April?

Sorry do not know any other members, well enough to ask them.

Well that is very much your opinion. Most people can't reach the 1st in regulation which means starting with a bogey, a good course should ease you into the round. The 18th is OK, nothing special.

Opinions are great and its great to see when people see holes/courses with a different pair of eyes.

Could I ask for a composite course for first and last, with the 1st on the West and the 18th on the East, being on the same course. Love both those holes.

East is better to me, think the green complex's & placements & holes layouts overall are better/more consistently good but my wife would pick the West to play. Thankfully we get to play both when I go there, great to have two courses to play. Shame I don't live closer:cry:

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
The 18th is a fantastic finishing hole worthy of any top golf course.